TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:10 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:15 am 

Hey fellas!
Got a pre-owned 2006 Suzuki Swift (I Live in india) recently. I gotta tell that its a dream to drive and even though i feel some lag in lower gears it pretty much makes up for it in higher rpm's.
And now the problem!
Even after clocking 1300kms in the car after i got it i still feel that the ECU has not changed the settings according to my driving style. And this is Guzzling a lotta fuel, A lot! Not to mention a deep hole in my wallet :/
Most of the times i drive very light footed. Very light footed! And i dont rip but choose to cruise :D
So i was going through various forums and found out that ECU's can be reset by removing the negative terminal of the battery and Leaving it untouched for 10 minutes or so.
Then attaching it back and then drive off and the ECU will save the new settings.
And my questions are:
1. Does the battery produce a 'spark' when i attach or detach the battery terminal?
2. Does the HU settings or the Miles reading on the odo reading will reset?
3. For how long should i leave the terminal detached?
4. How long do i have to drive till my ECU saves the settings?
5. Any other problems which may be caused by fiddling around with the battery or the ECU?
Any other pointers will be really helpful!
Thank you in advance!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:47 pm 

i would use a code reader and clear all the freeze frame data.

1990 swift GL Twincam swap
Hyundai trans swap- in progress

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:51 pm 

I am not aware that the 2006 Swift carried the G13B engine. I am also not aware that the G13B ecu's are OBDII type and have the ability to 'learn' your driving style.

Anyway, here goes:
1. Once your battery is fully charged, you will get a little spark on connecting the terminal;
2. Your total accumulated mileage on the odometer should not change, as this is stored as non-volatile information, the trip meter mileage may however be reset (uncertain);
3. Usually at least 2 minutes ought to be sufficient to reset the ECM;
4. Not sure if this is possible on a G13b ECM;
5. Only codes/faults that trigger a check engine warning are usually cleared by resetting the ecu....be careful about removing the battery cables too many times though (running the risk of blowing fuses).

2010 Suzuki Jimny - The DD Workhorse!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:49 pm 

Unsure if this is valid here, but I know in Subaru's, after disconnecting the battery, you turn on the key and apply your foot to the brake. Doing this removes any stored charge in the ecu effectively by creatign a circuit to earth.

The reason Subies like this is because the ecu tunes the engine for octane rating of the fuel. If you change fuel it can haemmorage for a while, especialy if you reduce the octane, so resetting the ecu relearns the mixture settings.

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.HP is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how much you push the wall out.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:11 pm 

PBC137 wrote:
I am not aware that the 2006 Swift carried the G13B engine. I am also not aware that the G13B ecu's are OBDII type and have the ability to 'learn' your driving style.

I thin that the Indian market cars have the G13BB but usually use a protocol called SDL/KWP which is similar to KWP2000 but is a Suzuki proprietary protocol so its probably a dealer scan tool only unless the Carmen works. It isn't going to learn driving style but it will have fuel trims to correct for engine wear. Usually an ECU reset will clear all non-volatile stored parameters including the fuel trims.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:05 pm 

Maybe he meant m13a instead of g13bb?

1991-GTi: JE 75mm 11:1 pistons,Ported head, Single UD pulley (OCC),Sandros chip,Aluminium flywheel,3tech 222/365 cams, Cultus headers,Cultus IM,50mm tb,Crane cams adjustable cam gears,Apex suspension, 4.39fd GB.
1989-GTi: 3Tech 210/340 Cams,Cultus IM, B&G springs, TD04L turbo, Apexi SAFC, Suzukird UD pulley, Circuitse7en dual boost controller, AEM wideband, AEM water / meth injection kit, HKS bov.
2001-Altezza AS200: Stock.-sold
2003-EVO7 GT-A
Aruba "one happy island".