TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:29 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:18 am 

So, after getting an MLS head gasket, I was trying to figure out how much of a drop in compression this would have on my engine. I chanced upon the following compression calculator

http://www.csgnetwork.com/compcalc.html

I was astounded at how a very small change in the figures made a marked impact on the compression ratio.

f'rinstance, a standard head gasket is .3 mm thick, the MLS is .5 mm
The head gasket bore size of a standard head gasket is 76.5mm, the MLS is 75.3mm

just this difference dropped compression from 11:1 down to 10.68:1
So, to make up the difference, I'll have to shave 7 thou off the head.

Question to anyone with pistons in the hole. what is the piston deck clearance at tdc? Since I totally ripped my engine down, I do not have the liberty to measure this. It would be nice to know how far I can go before I get into interference issues. The guys at the engine reconditioner were talking zero deck clearance for high performance engines.
DOHC G13B (cultus)
Help?

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.HP is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how much you push the wall out.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:33 am 

I think it is zero on a DOHC motor. I've never seen a .3 mm head gasket. Every one I've seen on GT motor is 1 mm thick.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:02 pm 

Hmmm
<gets out calipers...> dammit, at work, will have to wait... mebbe 1.3??? I know there was .2 difference...

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.HP is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how much you push the wall out.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:03 am 

ellpee wrote:
Hmmm
<gets out calipers...> dammit, at work, will have to wait... mebbe 1.3??? I know there was .2 difference...

Mike3 was right standard gasket was 1.3, MLS was 1.5mm

so the boys have taken 3 thou. off the deck. its a compromise.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:10 pm 

0.003" is barely anything...you'd probably get that off by just passing some sandpaper on it using a straight edge! :P

2010 Suzuki Jimny - The DD Workhorse!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:43 pm 

The compromise was that I had already "passed the sandpaper..." (sheet of glass, valve grinding paste and elbow grease for two hours) to see if I could straighten the kinks out. I will have to see how the pistons are sitting once I get it back.... then calculate exactly how much complression has been lost. I am hoping to get back to a shade under 11:1.
In saying that, it is just a raw calculation. I am unsure exactly how accurate you can analyse true compression even using volumetric displacemenrt with a pipette etc. such a small change in any dimension has quite a marked impact.