TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:28 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Engine swap question
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:02 am 

I have a '91 Metro convertible 5 speed standard. The engine is on it's last legs. I also have a 1997 Metro parts car with a good engine. It is a 2 door sedan 5 speed standard. I'd like to take the engine (or engine and tranny?) from the '97 and install it into the '91. Any hints, tips, directions, or snickers will be accepted! Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Engine swap question
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:38 am 

Just swap over the parts that are different. The crank sensor on the 97 can stay just leave it unplugged.

if it were mine id swap the intake and exhaust manifolds, thermostat housing, and distributor.

too many others to list

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:44 pm 

Alrighty! Thanks for the help.... I'll give 'er a go.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:22 am 

OK! Parts swapped, engines swapped. It started & sounds good, other than noisy exhaust. Waiting for an exhaust manifold gasket to arrive and the alternator to get back from testing & rebuild. I'm thinking this Wednesday it will be back on the road.

Attachments:
engine out.jpg
engine out.jpg [ 464.18 KIB | Viewed 2752 times ]
other engine out.jpg
other engine out.jpg [ 406.69 KIB | Viewed 2752 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:00 pm 

What parts did you leave on the 97 engine. Guess i should have mentioned the newer timing belt setup and valve cover are better parts...

too many others to list

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:55 pm 

Well... we swapped engine and transmission. As we got into it we could see that your advice was sound... we kept the '91 intake and exhaust manifolds, thermostat housing, and distributor. We didn't touch valve covers or timing belts, other than, I did buy a new timing belt, but didn't use it for two reasons. When we got to the belt, the one on it was very new and the tensioner was either new or just happened to be in very good shape. One thing though.... the old timing belt was about one inch wide, the brand new one that we didn't use was only 3/4 inch wide. Odd.... I'm sure it would have worked, but, gee, I didn't like the idea of it being that much more narrow. It was a brand name too....a Dayco.

It's coming along. I think we'll get some use out of it this season..... maybe even get the new top on. Then, come this winter we'll dive into it and repair all the little things.

Oh...one snafu.. Joe (not me!) managed to break the nipples off the idle sensor. I did some desperate back yard engineering and it's going to live on! OH, and those are not drinking straws, they are rubber tubing from a manometer. *smile*

Attachments:
Fixed!.jpg
Fixed!.jpg [ 286.08 KIB | Viewed 2741 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:54 pm 

Looks like that fix should work. :)

too many others to list

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:41 pm 

Ohhh, nooooo, no no no no nooooo! I got the alternator back....new bearings & brush holder assembly... $75, not bad. BUT.... I left out part of the story because I didn't think it was a part to the story. You see, the '97 junker had no alternator so I had the '91 rebuilt. The screaming is because they pulleys are different! The 97 has four narrow grooves and the 91 had three porky grooves. I couldn't figure out why it wasn't lining up, then realized. Arghhhhh! So, it seems either I change the water pump pulley and the crankshaft pulley, or, find a a different pulley for the alternator and keep my fingers crossed. Ohhh, fun!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:25 pm 

Been there, that stuff always gets you after the fact. The crank pulley won't swap over, the original will have 4 bolts holding it on, the newer style uses 5. One option is to switch everything(cam and crank pulleys, cover, alt bracket, outer pullies all to the original style. Then you will be back to using the narrower 91 timing belt which the parts store provided. If you can find a pulley and it lines up, go that route, swapping all that stuff isnt hard, but burns up a bit of time. I'd also check on a 96+ alternator, some of the new ones are fairly cheap, or a used on even for now. Then you could just bolt the right one on and go. I think the newer style may offer increased amperage as well.

1967 Mustang 428 auto, never ending expensive project
1993 Civic si h22a, fell in my lap, couldn't resist!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:58 am 

Thanks for the tips & ideas. I like the idea that this is all written...perhaps it will help someone in the future also.

A stroke of luck! I phoned the fellow that sold me the 97 junker. He was as surprised as I was, he still had the alternator! So, with some luck, a 97 four ribbed belt and tomorrow I will find the time to get it back together. I guess I'll forgo rebuilding this alternator, my wallet needs to recover a little bit.

I wonder..... If need be, might I have drilled the 5 bolt pulley to four bolt and made it work?

PS: The 97 alternator pulley does not fit the 91 alternator. The 97's shaft is quite a bit larger.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:09 pm 

You might as well take that timing belt back since they gave you the wrong one. The 1'' belt fits the 96-00 1.0 engine and the 3/4'' one with the round teeth fits mid 93-95 1.0 engines.

ken....