TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:55 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Rim Size
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:23 pm 

Ok I have been doing some shopping for new rims and I was wondering what size can I fit on my 92 2door? I was looking at 16's or possibly 17's I'm not sure if the wheel wells will accept a rim of that size or should I go with a 15" or 16" set. This is a winter project and I want to add some new shoes for my baby.

Post subject: Re: Rim Size
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:40 am 

I wouldn't go larger than 15 x 6.5, 40 mm is the smallest offset you can get away with, 42 mm would be better. i had 15 x 6.5 40mm with 195/50-15's on my 98, slight rubbing of the outside face of the rear tires on the lip of the fender under compression. Roll a baseball bat around the top of the tire on a hot day bending the fender lip up a little and the rubbing went away. I think 2mm more offset would have solved that, but you don't always get a choice.

People have put 16 and 17 inch wheels on Metros, I think it looks ridiculous, but that's personal preference. More factual reasons why not are the weight and the overall diameter. The tires that came on a 92 Metro were 21.1 inches and probably around 18 pounds mounted. The combination I mentioned above was chosen to match the diameter that the newer cars (and Swifts) had, 22.7 inches. That's a pretty big change in gear ratio, going to feel obviously slower, also your brakes aren't going to work very well, a downgrade of the brakes on cars that came with 12" wheels is not a good idea. Plus, unless you're spending a lot of money, larger diameter wheels are going to weigh a lot more. My setup was about 26 pounds per wheel/tire and it was definitely a bit sluggish compared to the stock wheels, even with a four cylinder manual. It handled a lot better, more grip overall, but turn in was not as light on it's feet as it was before, I can't imagine what 17's must feel like, going to be hard to keep them under 35 pounds.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be the name of a convenience store, not a government agency