TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:04 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 4 Door Convertable?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:33 am 

Has anyone attempted to convert a 4 door hatchback into a convertable? I am toying with the idea of doing this next summer, and I figure now is the time to start all of the research. Of course it would need some added frame support. I was also thinking of making a middle roll bar for safety and added stiffness. 8)

Feel free to comment. I would love to hear as many opinions as possible, both for and against. It just seems like it would be great to have a 4 seat convertable.

1991 Geo Metro 4 door hatchback
1.0 L non-turbo
5 speed manual

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:09 am 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

You're going to have to deal with things like reinforcing the chassis for stiffness and making your own convertible top (or maybe removable hardtop?). But those are only just engineering challenges, I think you should do it! 8)

maybe a picture Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:35 am 
smart@ss

For what it's worth, I saw a Ford Taurus Sho made into convertible when I was in Florida ( South Beach). It looked different, unique for sure, maybe even weird but I couldn't stop looking at it ( or maybe it was that hot chick with ample bosom :D that was standing right next to it, either way it was an eye catcher :shock: ).

http://sierraclub.com/exxposeexxon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:46 am 
number one!

qwall wrote:
For what it's worth, I saw a Ford Taurus Sho made into convertible when I was in Florida ( South Beach). It looked different, unique for sure, maybe even weird but I couldn't stop looking at it ( or maybe it was that hot chick with ample bosom :D that was standing right next to it, either way it was an eye catcher :shock: ).

Auto +1 Karma point for replies that directly refer to ample bosum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:56 pm 

Might be easier to use the 4-door Swift Sedan as the base

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:06 pm 

Ideally I would like to put 2 bucket seats in the back and use 4-5 point seatbelts for added safety, since I will be driving around with my kids. This is my daily driver, so it needs to be as practical and safe as possible.

As for the hatch, I was thinking that I could redo it so that it comes down like a station wagon door so I can have some lockable storage space. The rest can be used for storing the top.

I was looking at the frame supports the were selling via the "DON'T CLICK THIS LINK!!" link :-P , and I would probably put on of those on plus the various anti sway and support bars mentioned here and there. If things are feeling really good, I might try to set it up for hard top also. What do your guys think about a 2 piece hard top where I could attach the back and front separately with the middle roll bar being the mounting point?

Of course I'll be doing work on the interior and mechanical aspects while I'm doing this. I figure the worst that can happen is that I screw it up royally and have to buy another metro/swift for nothing :D

As far as using the 4 door swift sedan, I'm just trying to use what I have availible. If summer comes and I have one availible, I might do that. But for now, the hatchback is targeted for chopping.

p.s. Oh, I almost forgot. Ample Bosom :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:56 pm 

I have been looking for more info on custom making a convertible, but my search engine seems to be broken (can't be that I'm searching for the wrong things... lol ).

If anyone has any links to sites with this type of info, please let me know. Any help would truly be appreciated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:24 am 

Put your best foot forward and make a targa top...

then tell everone how it went...
At least you wouldn;t have to worry about engineering issues...

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.HP is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how much you push the wall out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:01 am 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

Lockjaw wrote:
... If things are feeling really good, I might try to set it up for hard top also. What do your guys think about a 2 piece hard top where I could attach the back and front separately with the middle roll bar being the mounting point?..

Swift Targa 8)

maybe a picture Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:55 pm 
Suzuki Elder

like this?

oh, yeah! AMPLE BOSOM!

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:21 pm 

t3 ragtop wrote:
like this?

oh, yeah! AMPLE BOSOM!

wow i have always thought of making my geo into a truck like that. im impressed!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 3:00 am 
Suzuki Elder

although the pickup is just a cute as a speckled pup, it still only has the load capacity of the original car (2 small people and a medium bag of dog food :lol: )

the rear axles are pretty small and will bend if you overtax them.

if your passenger has an AMPLE BOSOM you can only haul a small bag of dogfood. :roll:

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:17 am 

Heh, I like that. Unfortunately, I would have to put the kids in the truck bed, so that wouldn't work (at least not for the police...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:22 pm 

Here's one for the Mk1 crowd:

Brendan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:19 pm 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

brmiller wrote:
Here's one for the Mk1 crowd:

that's sweet, add a couple pieces of rectangular tubing for front & rear bumpers and it'd be a zippy version of those old vw golf/rabbit trucks. even better if it was a gti, you could have some fun blasting past those lowrider S-10s and rangers

Post subject: Mk2 4-door Vert
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:13 am 

Today I got a good look at header pieces, etc. for a mk2 vert, and it seems like chopping a 4-door could be relatively easy if one gave it a bit of thought ahead of time.

First off... it's not electronic or anything, so whatever frame and linkage you create, it just has to mate to the windshield correctly, and then you can top it with vinyl (or whatever that stuff is) afterward. Just brainstorming, getting the extra room out of the 4dr setup would probably require adapting something like a Cabriolet top, and mating it with the 2dr header piece. Then, you'll have to adapt the windshield mounts for a 4-door, and pay special attention to where the top mates with the windows. Lots of rubber, probably.

Time-consuming, but doable, methinks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:19 am 

Revived thread!

ellpee wrote:
Put your best foot forward and make a targa top...

then tell everone how it went...
At least you wouldn;t have to worry about engineering issues...

What about one of those soft-top thingers that they put on veedubs back in the day, basically a gigantic sliding fabric sunroof that folded up at the back like a set of roman blinds?

CCC

Post subject: Targa
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:30 am 

Isn't that basically what the real swift vert is to start with, a folder-upper targa top? If I remember the header piece, the easiest way to make up the 1ft or so difference in the 4-door body would be to insert a hinged spacer just before the header, where it mates to the canvas. Thus, header mating is unaffected, windshield is unaffected, and the convertible top linkage or whatever it's called, it's unaffected as well.

Post subject: Re: Targa
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:40 pm 
Suzuki Elder

iuvius wrote:
Isn't that basically what the real swift vert is to start with, a folder-upper targa top?

there are so many engineering differences in the body of the vert that i'd hardly says that it's fair to make that cavalier statement.

the windshield alone is different as are the doors, window mechanisms, inner rockers and floor, b pillars, rear cowl, trunk - you get the point. there are lot's of similarities and the verts are quite happy to wear most of the mechanical parts from a gt, but there are many engineered differences separating the chassis.

i think a 4 door cabriolet would be big fun. :D really old thread.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:37 am 
Village Idiot

i don't know where the orginal form is but i found a geo (1989 sprint)limo!!! :twisted: :twisted:

my car is blood thirsty!

GIT-R-DONE