TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:09 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:00 am 

So some time ago I found this link:
http://geometroforum.com/topic/1029346/1/
What I'm doing here in this thread is, moving some of that data over here and augmenting it with my own recent experience and photos.

So since I didn't take a pics of the removal process I'll let Oxxon explain it.
Quote:
OK, so the headliner was starting to go on my 98 2dr LSI.

I removed the visors, the dome light and all of the plastic push pins I could find. Note the pin under the dome light.

I then removed the plastic trim. They pop off really easy but have sharp edges so beware.

I used this tool to remove the pins. Its used to remove door handles but it works great with the pins. I'm happy to say the I did not break a single pin.

After I removed all of the trim parts from both sides of the car was finally able to remove the headliner. They used some glue to hold up the headliner. I was able to use a knife to cut the glue. I might have done the wrong thing but I just pulled on the headliner until it finally came off.

This part of the headliner was glued to the windshield. I just used a box cutter and trimmed as close as I could to the edge.

This is a better look at the headliner where it was coming off.

Now some of his post was edited because I was not replacing the speakers.

So after the headliner shell is removed from the car. I decided to rip off the old loose fabric, which left me with some awful foam padding to remove. Sorry didn't get any shots of this, but its worthwhile to note. I decided rather then just placing carpet over the old padding like he did, I spent 2 hours sanding ALL the old padding off. Then using a can of this:

I coated the now bare cardboard shell with two coats, waiting 5 minutes in between.

After waiting 10 minutes for the glue to get tacky I then prepared my carpet. I decided to do two rolls like Oxxon did. You can see the seem, but hey at least its not sagging.

I pressed the carpet carefully into every single curve, making sure not to have bubbles or wrinkles. Before even attempting to trim it, I decided to let it sit, and ventured out the car to go attack the caulk on the roof. It a pain in the ass, but just like removing the old padding, its gotta be done.

After 2 hours of fighting with caulk in 40degree weather, I trimmed it. This is what it looks like now:

As you can see, well mostly you can see my camera sucks, I put the seem right above the door column I figured here it would have the least chance of getting picked with.

In about 4 hours when it finally gets above 45, I'm gonna go put it back in, I'll have more pics and words then.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:55 am 

And now for the finished look, I swapped for a diff camera for this.

Ok well that's one more task on the metro done. Next time we'll be doing front and rear bumper covers.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:45 pm 

Congrats on a job well done :thumb2:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:25 am 

Looks good.

1. A wire brush, used gently, works wonders on getting that foam powder off.
2. They sell headliner material with the foam glued on it already at upholstery shops, for not alot of money.

Props to you, getting it to look right is hard work.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:58 pm 

I did mine on my 97 metro, foam padded headliner was $20.00 from an upholstery shop and the can of glue, called "Heads Up" was another $10.00.

Why did you use carpet? Was that your intention to start with?

Just curious
Bill

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:19 pm 

I used carpet, because I thought it looked nice. As an after note, its now been quite a while and another upside to the carpet seems to be a deadening of the raindrop sound on the roof. I guess it acts as thicker insulation now.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:23 pm 

I just pulled the headliner out of my 97 metro lsi this last weekend becuse the fabric was almost completely down. When you reinstalled did you re-glue the liner back to the roof? And if so what did you use? Or are the trim pieces and hardware enough to keep it in place? I was thinking about adding some sort of insulation material between the roof and the liner but it seems like the glue would get in the way.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:01 pm 

I used the spray adhesive shown in pics to reattach liner to cardboard shell, I however used carpet which meant I hand to sand all that fluff stuff off down to raw cardboard shell. As far as reattaching the shell to the body I scraped all the old glue off and used some liquid nails. Also if you don't have an oh shit handle for your passenger side you can check the Junkyard pull one and put it in there.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:34 am 

I know these is an old post but I wanted to know when you put the head liner back in the car did you reglue it to the metal roof? Or does the side molding, light and visors hold it up enough to not have to glue it?

Thanks for your help....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:45 am 

Davey wrote:
I know these is an old post but I wanted to know when you put the head liner back in the car did you reglue it to the metal roof? Or does the side molding, light and visors hold it up enough to not have to glue it?

Thanks for your help....

According to the link he provides
http://geometroforum.com/topic/1029346/1/
which you can read, and the pictures are still working,
he glued carpet to the headliner that he removed and then
glued the reconditioned headliner to the metal roof using 3M contact glue spray.

DIY Shocks: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45483
DIY Wheel Align: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42479
Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:14 am 

Personally I used liquid nails.