TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:57 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: MK1 Drink holder
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:07 pm 

I’ve done this on a few cars I’ve owned that have had NO factory holder and limited options. Being a non-smoker it’s never posed a problem. Some vehicles require a set screw to keep the ash tray from coming out. The Sprint does not need one. In some 20 years of doing this mod Ive never broken an ash tray due to usage.

I’ve seen lots of folks question drink holders, but never seen my approach. Thought I’d share it.

I use a piece of 2” lumber to make my angle support and get things level, Usually cedar or oak. The top and bottom pieces are ¼” for the base and 1/8” for the top both Lexan. Any form of Polycarbonate or acrylic would work. Even lumber might would work but be heavier. The pictures dont show the 3 holes that are drilled into the face of the tray, in a "v" pattern. Using wood screws and washers, usually #8 x 3/4" , the holder is secured to the tray.

The only problems I have with it are. My MK1, an automatic, and using a homemade lower transmission mount (no longer avail) at idle she shakes a bit, therefore rattling the drink around. But at road speeds perfect. If and when I upgrade to that 5 speed, that should no longer happen as it does not do it at idle with trans not engaged.

Do you maintain a personal fleet like I do?
Why do we do it?
Because it's what we enjoy and because we CAN.
2011 camaro, 2005 Vibe, 2016 Outback, 06 Expedition, 87 Porsche 911, 87 Turbo sprint, 82 Brat, 73 gmc 4x4, 69 camaro, 99 Gl1500 Honda Goldwing, 12 Kawasaki klr650, 2012 Kubota L3200, and we wont even go into the small stuff.

Post subject: Re: MK1 Drink holder
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:10 pm 

Nice idea. Looks like it works great.

Post subject: Re: MK1 Drink holder
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:12 pm 

Thanks..yes sir it does work very nicely....other than that shaking that the tranny shake causes.

Do you maintain a personal fleet like I do?
Why do we do it?
Because it's what we enjoy and because we CAN.
2011 camaro, 2005 Vibe, 2016 Outback, 06 Expedition, 87 Porsche 911, 87 Turbo sprint, 82 Brat, 73 gmc 4x4, 69 camaro, 99 Gl1500 Honda Goldwing, 12 Kawasaki klr650, 2012 Kubota L3200, and we wont even go into the small stuff.