TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:10 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:42 pm 

In my recent search for alternate MK1 seat installs, I saw many step by step write-ups on various seats that will fit the MK1 Sprint. I saw several references to using Honda civic seats, but no step by step for the install of those. Salvage yards in the deep south seem to be getting harder and harder to find decent anything. However, late model, Honda seats seem to be in abundance in my area. I picked up the below set for $75.

I did see one or two references to removing the slider rails on the Honda seats, but no explanations as to why.

My donor seats came out of a 2003 Civic, here is how I handled it.
Like others and their write ups, I took prior seat of ass to head liner measurements and showed 34” with my old Sprint seats. My end results with the Civic seats has me at 33 5/8”. Of course with newer stiffer foam, one sits higher than the old seats, but at my height of 5’10” I’m fine.

I can only assume that the reference to removing the civic rails was due to the slight height difference I show above. However, to remove the tracks on my 2003 civic seats would have only gained me ½”. If I were to cut off the tracks I would also need to cut off more than just the tracks to make for a lower seating postion considering the newer stiffer foam. Considering all the work of cutting the mounting brackets way down below the tracks and rewelding the sprint tracks back on, I opted for my approach. I can always do more later if I don’t like it. For most folks of avg height, my approach is just fine. That and I left my old sprint tracks fully re-moveable and re-usable if needed.

Remove the rails from the old Sprint seats, saving the bolts. I used 1/8” thick washers and welded them adjacent to the mounting holes on the old sprint tracks. The fwd edges I notched out the old mounting hole to the end, leaving an elongated mounting area. On the rear just adjacent to is fine. The old rails have been slightly modified but easily reused on sprint seats if desired.

Here is the bottom of the Civic seats as seen when acquired. Using a cutting wheel, one needs to remove the 4 mounting arms off of the tracks. The hardest part is the center rivet that each has.

Once the mounting ears are removed, on the front end of each track, using a large punch and punch out the remainder of the large rivet. Using a 9/32 – 5/16 drill, drill this hole out to this larger size. Using an 8x1.25 tap, tap out the hole. (factory sprint bolts are 8x1.25mm)

Using the top hole in the sprint track, top as in closest to the front of the seat (old mount had the bolt going through the 2nd hole), loosely remount the sprint track to the civic base using the newly threaded hole.
Reason for using the top hole? there is a dimple in the civic rail that interferes with a properly centered drill spot if you use the original holes. After doing the loose front install, scribe or mark the opposite end hole of the old sprint track to the base of the civic rail. Drill out this mark and tap same as you did the upper holes. Due to the large band that is around the mid of the old sprint tracks, you will need to washer up beneath the mounting bolts on either end to balance the overall track. I found that 1/8" thick 5/16" washers worked perfect for this.

Here we are final mounted

Also, due to the thickness of the threaded area,I opted to install self locking nuts on the bottom side. But, I dont think its totally necessary. I only did this on the front end as on the rear end the nut slightly interferred with rail movement.

By having 2 stacked rail systems you actually have quite a bit of extra fwd/aft adjustability. I do a max rear adjust with the old Sprint rails, then for easier grabbing use the new larger civic rail to fine adjust.
Here you see both the fwd and rear mount points.

Completed job from both sides

And of course the finished product distance from Ceiling

I hope this info is usefull to that others that may contemplate using similar civic seats. If someone has already done a similar writeup, please let me know and I'll remove this thread.

Do you maintain a personal fleet like I do?
Why do we do it?
Because it's what we enjoy and because we CAN.
2011 camaro, 2005 Vibe, 2016 Outback, 06 Expedition, 87 Porsche 911, 87 Turbo sprint, 82 Brat, 73 gmc 4x4, 69 camaro, 99 Gl1500 Honda Goldwing, 12 Kawasaki klr650, 2012 Kubota L3200, and we wont even go into the small stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:04 pm 
Island Inbreeder

That looks like a clean 85 Sprint 4dr :shock:
Thanks for the post about the 03 honda seats in a MK1
around here anything usable in a" Honda anything" is usually gone they pick them clean .
We must have a huge Tuner crowd in the NW ( Nissan too)
if you do happen to find a set of Honda/toyota/ nissan seat there either ripped or filthy dirty.

The fine folks pulling parts from cars in the public junk yard's don't have common sense to use a towel to clean there hand's.
but wipe there greasy mit's on the driver seats (very flusterating)
I thought about using toyota seats but there hard to find in good shape too

It's hard to work without a welder and sometime hard when you have one your just looking for something some time to fill with the(Metal Putty Gun) it's so EZ to say I can fix that with the welder.....
and harder to say i can fix that without the welder

Some peeps might not understand what I'm saying ? and thats pare for the corse if you read some of my post's
thats why a did the post about my seat install without a welder...
A member asked if i knew of a set of Non Chevy Sprint seat that would bolt in a MK1 so i took the challenge.!
and bolted a set of 02 Rio seats in my Turbo Sprint
if I might add a little something about your install .......
The front bolt washer change to a larger washer and tack weld it to the brakets for more stoutness it's probably fine as-is it just looks like its not fully bolted down

I bought a Turbo sprint that the PO passed away in it from a rear ender when she got hit the force from behind sheard the front bracket bolts and threw her into the back of the car she must have died from neck injury being snapped back with the seat

So I always think about those front bolt in our car
hers a picture of the car it was drivable just didn't look pretty
......(I set another driver seat in it so i could drive it)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:36 pm 

jaguar,vettes&sprints wrote:

Thank you....its getting that way, surely was not when I bought it. Aside from a few minor dents on the outside, it would be in pristine shape with a nice paint job.
around here anything usable in a" Honda anything" is usually gone they pick them clean .
if you do happen to find a set of Honda/toyota/ nissan seat there either ripped or filthy dirty.
I dont think I have the simiarl crowd here in the SE, but by the looks of my salvage yard they dont sell many seats at all. The problem was finding a set that was not totally mildewed and nasty due to windows or doors being off. Of course the owner said that he hadnt sold a set of seats in years out of anything....it took me over 3 hours of searching to find this great shape and comfy set.

The fine folks pulling parts from cars in the public junk yard's don't have common sense to use a towel to clean there hand's.
Yep...saw alot of that too....not to include tons of greasy parts laid all over some nice ones too.

It's hard to work without a welder and sometime hard when you have one your just looking for something some time to fill with the(Metal Putty Gun) it's so EZ to say I can fix that with the welder.....
Fully agree...bought my first welder about 5 years ago. Lincoln 135 Mig, sometimes I wonder how I ever made it without one.

Some peeps might not understand what I'm saying ? and thats pare for the corse if you read some of my post's

Good point...and considerate of those that dont have all the abilities or toys.

A member asked if i knew of a set of Non Chevy Sprint seat that would bolt in a MK1 so i took the challenge.!

Yeah I Liked those due to that arm rest, but no KIA's in my lot at all....Luckily these honda seats actually fit a bit tighter to the wall than the Sprint seats did, hence giving a bit more room between. I have plans for a self made arm rest of sort when I finish my rear seat delete area.
The front bolt washer change to a larger washer and tack weld it to the brakets for more stoutness it's probably fine as-is it just looks like its not fully bolted down.
Actually you are correct, I took taht picture after a first pass install when it was not fully mounted. I actually came back with a much larger and thicker washer. However. I also thought of the weld part once I found the center mount points.

I bought a Turbo sprint that the PO passed away in it from a rear ender when she got hit the force from behind sheard the front bracket bolts and threw her into the back of the car she must have died from neck injury being snapped back with the seat

Geeesh...surely something to get one thinking...make me wanna go home and weld that washer. Thoughts like that is why I added those self locking nuts to the bottom of the threaded area on the honda rail. I figured jsut added security

I'll have to check that picture at home....can access PB at work.

Do you maintain a personal fleet like I do?
Why do we do it?
Because it's what we enjoy and because we CAN.
2011 camaro, 2005 Vibe, 2016 Outback, 06 Expedition, 87 Porsche 911, 87 Turbo sprint, 82 Brat, 73 gmc 4x4, 69 camaro, 99 Gl1500 Honda Goldwing, 12 Kawasaki klr650, 2012 Kubota L3200, and we wont even go into the small stuff.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:09 pm 

mkc1962 wrote:
jaguar,vettes&sprints wrote:

Thank you....its getting that way, surely was not when I bought it. Aside from a few minor dents on the outside, it would be in pristine shape with a nice paint job.
I dont think I have the simiarl crowd here in the SE, but by the looks of my salvage yard they dont sell many seats at all. The problem was finding a set that was not totally mildewed and nasty due to windows or doors being off. Of course the owner said that he hadnt sold a set of seats in years out of anything....it took me over 3 hours of searching to find this great shape and comfy set.

Yep...saw alot of that too....not to include tons of greasy parts laid all over some nice ones too.

Fully agree...bought my first welder about 5 years ago. Lincoln 135 Mig, sometimes I wonder how I ever made it without one.

Good point...and considerate of those that dont have all the abilities or toys.

Yeah I Liked those due to that arm rest, but no KIA's in my lot at all....Luckily these honda seats actually fit a bit tighter to the wall than the Sprint seats did, hence giving a bit more room between. I have plans for a self made arm rest of sort when I finish my rear seat delete area.
The front bolt washer change to a larger washer and tack weld it to the brakets for more stoutness it's probably fine as-is it just looks like its not fully bolted down.
Actually you are correct, I took taht picture after a first pass install when it was not fully mounted. I actually came back with a much larger and thicker washer. However. I also thought of the weld part once I found the center mount points.

Geeesh...surely something to get one thinking...make me wanna go home and weld that washer. Thoughts like that is why I added those self locking nuts to the bottom of the threaded area on the honda rail. I figured jsut added security

I'll have to check that picture at home....can access PB at work.

So if I'm reading this correctly an 02 Kia Rio will bolt DIRECTLY in without performing a rail track replacement or modification??

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:18 pm 

Ok, so usable seats are Kia Ro and '93 honda- thingy? (civic, cvcc,...whatever)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:27 pm 
Island Inbreeder

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=52419

t3 ragtop wrote:
the 3 banger isn't at all a "grenade." it's a tough little son of a bitch doing a big job. respect it.
suprf1y wrote:
I didn't save anything.Vehicles are to me, like little boys are to Tommy.Toys to be abused for my own personal pleasure.
jrjd wrote:
"Driving a Swift GTi is like driving a bike in your house".