TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:34 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:18 pm 

This is what I started with. The handles didnt work from the outside and I had no keys to the doors either. I had purchased a new steering column with (1) key for the ignition. After digging around I found 2 drivers side external handle that were salvagible. After searching online I figured out how to re-key the doors and rear hatch to work off the same key. Now, I had to address the interior door cards...
Driver's Side

Passenger Side

Removed from door and about to break it down...

After seperationg the Cardboard from the plastic and removing the cloth/vinyl, This is the pattern I had to copy.

I stacked them on top of each other to get a better overall shape as most of the devine edges were broken long ago. I used a silver sharpee to trace the out line. I had purchased this uphostery board from an uphostery supply store locally for around $15 per piecs. Was able to do both door with one piece. After tracing and cutting it out, I was faced with a frustrating part, cutting the holes for the door clips to slide into. Even with a brand new olfa/razor blade, the new cardboard is very tought to make nice cuts. After shopping around, I found that leather punch would do the trick. I went to McFadden Dale's after price hunting for the 2 punches I wanted. 5/8" for the larger hole ( insert the clip into the board ) and 3/8" to have a end destination for the clip. I punched both holes out leaving about 1/4" between the 2 and then cut a 1/4" channel between the 2. The location of the larger hole isn't needed to be precise but the smaller one needs to line up right for the clip to line up with the metal holes on the door.

The inside of the plastic/upper part of the door card had 5 of these odd posts on each door that a top hat shaped clip slid onto. Most of my posts broke off long ago and I was missing their top hats... This is a pic with and without the post

I needed to re-create the posts and tophats.. Here is what I did. I took red butt connectors and cut them to the same length and gently removed the metal insert that you would normally crimp onto wire with.

I then set them in place and broke out the epoxy!

While that dried, I needed to recreate the top hats. I started with a visit to Lowe's and for about $1, I found these.

I needed the holes bigger and I needed the metal that will be grabbing my new red posts to be bent inward toward the inside of the top-hat. I used a phillips head screw driver and punched them out. I had to check multiple time to make sure the fit will be snug and not lose.

Before and after I punched the middle out

I then lined up the carboard and used the same 5/8" punch to make the new holes for my smaller tophats.
While at the upholstery shop, I grabbed some new vinyl and blue jean/denim! oh yeah, dont hate. lol. I went an extra step on this and also got 1/4" foam and covered the cardboard parts. I cut out the foam where the arm rests and plastic parts will be mating up so the material isnt too thick...

Here is the end result of the door card!

Installed! I will be redo-ing the vinyl covering the plastic part. I tried to stretch the vinyl with a heat gun and it kinda worked, but not good enough. lol.

I will be posting up more pics and updating this Thread when I am dont restoring the arm rest/door handles. Borrowing my mother in-law's sewing machine for that part. 8) I may to a custom door speaker. Haven't decided yet. If I do, it will be wrapped in vinyl to match. Either way, I decided I didn't like the plastic door pocket so I left it off.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:42 pm 

wow! no comments after over 50 views? I at least was expecting some criticism for using denim?! lol. nothing?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:05 pm 

great work

Silver 2000 Firefly 4DR; 16V SOHC, 3 to 5 speed swap, install PS and AC, remote and auto start, PL, PW, kill and start switch, Valentine 1, behind-bumper CAI, 55MM TB with coolant-bypass, polyurethane-fill engine/shifter mounts, modified to short shifter, upgraded electrical system, CS130 alternator, 90/160W headlights + relay mod, ceramic H4 plug/harness
To do: finish stereo, 4000K H4 HIDs, short block replacement
'sponsored' by Captain Crunch, Lordco, Felpro, Permatex, Royal Purple

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:48 pm 

Why not reuse the old push washers?

DIY Shocks: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45483
DIY Wheel Align: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42479
Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:51 am 

Was missing about 5 of them. I did re-use the ones I had.

I have been doing some minor body work lately. Shaved the antenna and installed one inside the headliner (invisible ). Banged out all the dents on the front fenders. Tomorrow I will be welding the cross-brasing inside the hood.the puffy glue had failed and it rattles bad.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:21 am 

nixmixin wrote:
Was missing about 5 of them. I did re-use the ones I had.

Works for me; clever use of home tools to fabricate something in its place.
Looking forward to the body work photos.
:thumbsup:

DIY Shocks: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45483
DIY Wheel Align: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42479
Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!