TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:14 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Carpet for 1991 Sprint
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:56 pm 

Hey guys trying to find new carpet for my 1991 Sprint as the stuff in mine is tore up from the previous owners dog. I called all the dealers around my area and none could source a part for me but I found this website that linked me to 1989-1994 Metro carpet. Will they still fit or does the Geo have different interiors?

http://www.stockinteriors.com/AutoCarpe ... odelId=227

Here is a picture of the car.

Attachments:
sprint 2.jpg [67.96 KIB]
Downloaded 459 times

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 3:51 pm 
Suzuki Elder

you should be good to go with a black or gray carpet. there are a number of them from aftermarket sellers on ebay.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:41 pm 

t3 ragtop wrote:
you should be good to go with a black or gray carpet. there are a number of them from aftermarket sellers on ebay.

I honestly cannot find anything on Ebay. Not sure what I am doing wrong. Will the original carpets I posted work?

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:48 pm 

Where are you in Canada? And every carpet should be interchangable. I swapped the carpet from a 1990 Turbo Sprint into a 1991 Suzuki Swift.

2006 Scion xB (fun-mobile)
1990/92 Suzuki Swift GTi TURBO (The GTiT)

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:56 pm 
@ssclown

Check out this item I found on eBay:

1989-1994 GEO METRO 2DR HT CARPET - ANY COLOR

Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-1994-GEO-M ... 0399169585

(Sent from eBay Mobile for Android)

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:29 am 

Check out this site. It even has the rear hatch carpet for the cars with the split rear seats like the Suzuki gt and I think the turbo Sprint.
http://www.stockinteriors.com/AutoCarpe ... odelId=227

Ken.....

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:23 am 

thanks guys this is exactly what I am looking for!
if only shipping to Canada wasn't so damn expensive.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:20 pm 

Read the description good before buying those carpets on e-bay and contact the seller to double check it's a direct fit. Mostly it's not, even if they say it is... talking with personal experience on this matter.
Even if you get warranty, they'll try to fuck you up somehow: no refund on shipping costs, repacking charges, etc. If I were you I would just buy 2 meters of carpet material, take out my old carpet and make an exact copy of it. Than use Bison Kit to glue it down to the floor and there you go, as good as A "original" one.
Money + stress vs no stress + work-time. it's your call.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:58 pm 
@ssclown

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 563wt_1185

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:00 pm 
@ssclown

jankoelbola wrote:
Read the description good before buying those carpets on e-bay and contact the seller to double check it's a direct fit. Mostly it's not, even if they say it is... talking with personal experience on this matter.
Even if you get warranty, they'll try to fuck you up somehow: no refund on shipping costs, repacking charges, etc. If I were you I would just buy 2 meters of carpet material, take out my old carpet and make an exact copy of it. Than use Bison Kit to glue it down to the floor and there you go, as good as A "original" one.
Money + stress vs no stress + work-time. it's your call.

Wow sorry to hear about your experiences i had a different experiences when i bought for my Vert and i had no prob.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:53 pm 

What do you guys think is the closest color to stock for a gt according to the stock interiors website? My original carpet is a dark color, not sure if it's black or dark grey. What do you guys think?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:51 pm 
Suzuki Elder

factory carpets are formed on a big, heated hydraulic press which makes the carpet fit the contours of the floor pan. cutting flat carpet and getting it to fit right is never as good as a press fitted carpet.

i have had very few problems with aftermarket pressed fit carpets as far as their installation. the machinery is really pretty sophisticated and uses a set of dies that are designed to provide a perfect fitment to the floor pan. razor edges on the dies precisely cut the carpet as it is heated, contours are stretched and set, and backing pads are attached. (i know this because i used to design and build press controls for an automotive supplier of insulating panels and carpets as well as fix them when the regular maintenance guys were in over their heads.) the aftermarket carpet industry guys use the same machinery and die tools as factory suppliers and usually they are the factory suppliers for new cars. their quality control is usually really good, too.

aftermarket replacement carpets usually don't use the same yarns or color dyes, though. some aftermarket carpets look better, some worse. i prefer cut pile over loop pile and mass backed and felted over glued felt only.

i also like the new closed cell urethane, aluminum faced insulation on the floor pan before installing the carpet. it really quiets the cabin, cuts the interior temperature, and makes the carpet feel better under your feet. i've been using fatmat (2 verts and one gt) and it makes a huge difference.

all press formed carpet requires some expertise in fitting. they don't have any holes (like for the seat rail bolts, mounting pins, hatch and gas remote levers, or the cut outs for the shifter and hand brake. you have to use a razor knife or a hooked carpet knife (which works best) to install the new fuzz. when i was really into restoring old saabs i made some special tooling for doing carpets. i made brass tubes with very sharp (razor sharp) drawn ends and brass bar stock silver soldered through the tubes to make a tee handle that i used to cut holes for bolts. i used wooden doweling with pins that fit into the bolt holes inserted under the carpet. after i had the carpet laid in place i could set the cutter tubes over the dowels, use the tee handle to give the tubes a twist, and cut perfectly located, perfectly round holes that were as precisely located as the factory carpets.

for the big cut outs on the tunnel like the shifter and hand brake you can use the old carpet as a template and transfer the cut outs to the new carpet with chalk. that's where a hooked carpet knife comes in handy once you press the hooked tip through the carpet in a plunge cut you work the knife along the chalked lines and get a precision cut - not as good as the press cuts but pretty darned good.

the correct color for all models of the gt is black. the correct color for metros is 8078 silver. the correct color for 90 - 91 verts and turbo3 cars is black and for 92 - 93 verts it's 8078 silver.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:08 pm 

Ok thanks. I thought this company stock interiors did do all the cutouts done for you. Especially for shifter and hand brake. Good to know. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:19 pm 

T3, would you or anyone of your contacts in teamswift happen to have a used gt black carpet? Looking for one. I just checked how much the one online would cost me deliver to my door, 260$. If you happen to have one it doesn't need to be in perfect shape. As long as its not ripped. Can you help me out?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:23 am 
Suzuki Elder

there are no swifts where i live (except mine) and there are none in local wrecking yards. all my gt parts come from canada.

i'm more of a vert guy, myself. :wink:

new carpet shipped to me is $145 so i would be more inclined to just buy a new press fitted carpet.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II