TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:10 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sun Burnt Clearcoat
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:25 pm 

A significant percentage of aging FL cars are showing 'Sun Burnt Clearcoat' on roofs & hoods. More like the clearcoat peeling like a sunburn.

Is there a way to clear away what was once the 'candy coating' & salvage the original paint?

Somebody was telling me they could wet sand the 'Sun Burnt Clearcoat' down to the pigmented paint & reapply clearcoat. Sounds plausible, but also wrought w/problems due to color fading.

Presume a good repainting would require sanding away all of the deteriorating clearcoat anyway? Or can it be feathered between solid clearcoat & areas where clearcoat peeled off?

1998 Ford F-150 4X4 XLT
1992 Ford E-150 Club Wagon Chateau
1991 SAAB 900S 5 speed
1987 SAAB 900 Turbo SPG
1985 SAAB 900 Turbo SPG
1974 SAAB Sonett III
1971 SAAB 96 modified to 1980 specs
1966 SAAB 96
1960 SAAB 93F
1958 SAAB 93B
1964 Willys JEEP CJ-5
1954 Willys JEEP M-170 military ambulance
1953 Grumman Kurbside step van

Post subject: Re: Sun Burnt Clearcoat
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:40 pm 

If you wet sand it with fine sand paper, clear coat it and then buff the paint, it should be as good as new. On the other hand if you do just one panel, the rest of the car will look crap :lol: Also, painting a big flat surface is hard if you don't have a compressor and a spray gun.

99 Honda CB600F Hornet
90 Suzuki Swift 1.6 GLX 4WD

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:31 am 

Thanks for confirming you can restore clearcoat w/o repainting. While I don't expect it to look "as good as new" the goal is dramatic improvement. The Q aims at discerning if results are better or worse than repainting & clearcoating. In my experience color never matches when individual panels get repainted.

Note I posted: "FL cars are showing 'Sun Burnt Clearcoat' on roofs & hoods". Didn't think it necessary to post "the rest of the car" looks fine.

G-sus wrote:
If you wet sand it with fine sand paper, clear coat it and then buff the paint, it should be as good as new. On the other hand if you do just one panel, the rest of the car will look crap

Note in my concern over "problems due to color fading" the main issue is wet sanding would remove not just clearcoat, but also some of the faded top surface of pigmented paint. The presumption being color below the top surface won't be faded.

It goes w/o saying in order to do quality paint work one must "have a compressor and a spray gun".

1998 Ford F-150 4X4 XLT
1992 Ford E-150 Club Wagon Chateau
1991 SAAB 900S 5 speed
1987 SAAB 900 Turbo SPG
1985 SAAB 900 Turbo SPG
1974 SAAB Sonett III
1971 SAAB 96 modified to 1980 specs
1966 SAAB 96
1960 SAAB 93F
1958 SAAB 93B
1964 Willys JEEP CJ-5
1954 Willys JEEP M-170 military ambulance
1953 Grumman Kurbside step van

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:29 pm 

I can only speak from my personal experience, and someone with more time, experience etc. may have another solution, But here goes, I have had a full time body man in my employ for nearly 15 years. In that Time we have never found a long lasting solution to the sunburn problem. (a form of clear-coat de-lamination that begins with the paint having a cloudy cast and eventually peeling off, leaving only a dull color coat behind.
In small areas when it is just beginning we have attempted a light sand (400-600 grit) then reclear, this has never resulted in good sucess, the color fade of the old un-refinished panel stands out like a "turd" in the proverbial "Punch-bowl" and looks worse then if we left it alone.
However, What we have found that works well, is to sand through the affected panels and refinishing only what is needed (usually Hood,Roof,trunk-lid and the tops of fenders,doors and quarters) we only paint the top several inches on the horizontal surfaces,stopping a line that can be covered with a pin-stripe. Or on larger cars trucks and SUV,s, Used it as an excuse to two-tone in a tasteful color contrast, (And use up old leftover paint in a custom mix where possible) and avoiding the color match trap altogether. Best wishes with the project, Jonathan

1991 Vert (red) 129k 5sp,AC, Resto-Mod, 75% Done.(Clean SW car)
1993 GT(Teal) 103k 5sp,AC,w/PW (Resto-Mod,60% done.)(Clean SW car)
1994 Swift GS 4Dr sedan (Painted 2005 Ford Kona Blue) 95k 1.3 SOHC 5sp

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:28 pm 

use a high-end automotive buffer with a heavy cut cleaner
http://www.detailedimage.com/Poorboys-W ... /16-oz-S1/
Quote:
Reviewed by Raymond S. on 7/13/2010
Would they buy this item again? Yes
Incredible stuff. use with the white pad, Just like Connor Harrison the car i polished i bought used and was 10 years old. Black car scratches, cloudy and sun damage. went over it with ssr1 with parts done with ssr2...ran into the original owner of the car and she asked if i got it re-painted. I was happy =)

http://www.detailedimage.com/Auto-Detailing-Guide/

Silver 2000 Firefly 4DR; 16V SOHC, 3 to 5 speed swap, install PS and AC, remote and auto start, PL, PW, kill and start switch, Valentine 1, behind-bumper CAI, 55MM TB with coolant-bypass, polyurethane-fill engine/shifter mounts, modified to short shifter, upgraded electrical system, CS130 alternator, 90/160W headlights + relay mod, ceramic H4 plug/harness
To do: finish stereo, 4000K H4 HIDs, short block replacement
'sponsored' by Captain Crunch, Lordco, Felpro, Permatex, Royal Purple

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 7:29 pm 

You can wet sand with 1000 grit, or just buff it. You can get the edges of the clearcoat burned down enough to match up to the paint without too much work, and it looks decent, unless the clearcoat keeps peeling. I had this issue on random panels of my 2000 acura TL. It was a once a year job to buff that stuff out, and it looked ok. NOt awesome, just ok. If you want it to look awesome, you'll have to paint it. No getting around it. I'd rather have peeling clearcoat than the rusted out rockers we get up north!

Honorable mention: 61 ford falcon money pit, 90 5.0 Lincoln LSC coupe with emotional attachment, supercharged teal 99 F150 for carrying firefly parts, and a black turbo volvo wagon with a dog gate to use every day.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 9:57 pm 
Island Inbreeder

TheSilverBullet wrote:
use a high-end automotive buffer with a heavy cut cleaner
http://www.detailedimage.com/Poorboys-W ... /16-oz-S1/
Quote:
Reviewed by Raymond S. on 7/13/2010
Would they buy this item again? Yes
Incredible stuff. use with the white pad, Just like Connor Harrison the car i polished i bought used and was 10 years old. Black car scratches, cloudy and sun damage. went over it with ssr1 with parts done with ssr2...ran into the original owner of the car and she asked if i got it re-painted. I was happy =)

http://www.detailedimage.com/Auto-Detailing-Guide/

thanks man I'm goint to buy that snake oil and give it a try ;)

I hand rubbed this bitch for six hours.............. and well judge for your self
BEFORE.!

AFTER.!

who said you couldn't polish a TURD.!....jv&s :)

t3 ragtop wrote:
the 3 banger isn't at all a "grenade." it's a tough little son of a bitch doing a big job. respect it.
suprf1y wrote:
I didn't save anything.Vehicles are to me, like little boys are to Tommy.Toys to be abused for my own personal pleasure.
jrjd wrote:
"Driving a Swift GTi is like driving a bike in your house".

Last edited by jaguar,vettes&sprints on Thu May 31, 2012 10:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:45 pm 
@ssclown

Looks good bud

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:13 pm 
Island Inbreeder

thanks man .!..........Tittie Coffee?

t3 ragtop wrote:
the 3 banger isn't at all a "grenade." it's a tough little son of a bitch doing a big job. respect it.
suprf1y wrote:
I didn't save anything.Vehicles are to me, like little boys are to Tommy.Toys to be abused for my own personal pleasure.
jrjd wrote:
"Driving a Swift GTi is like driving a bike in your house".

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:53 pm 
@ssclown

jaguar,vettes&sprints wrote:
thanks man .!..........Tittie Coffee?

say when broham