TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:23 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:01 pm 

Request pics of the fixed hidden brackets/mounts that hold the side skirts onto Swifts. Thanks in advance.

'94 Metro LSi 'Green Machine'
'94 RHD (Totaled)
Vail, AZ

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:14 pm 

They are screwed to an additional (GT only) steel part at the bottom and use clips to hold the vertical sections on. What do you want pictures of?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:35 pm 

nzswift wrote:
They are screwed to an additional (GT only) steel part at the bottom and use clips to hold the vertical sections on. What do you want pictures of?

The steel part, please. I'm told it's fixed to the car, and not removable without cutting it off. I've heard that people have added skirts to their cars by just screws. I am just curious what it looks like.

'94 RHD (Totaled)
Vail, AZ

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:16 pm 
Suzuki Elder

it's a simple strip of metal with a bend in it that's spot welded to the rocker panel just below the door frames. it acts as a support for the tops of the horizontal lengths of the side skirts.

the rails i just exposed on my donor gt were rusted so badly that a picture would resemble an archeological relic. :-P

once you have the vertical uprights at each end secure to the fenders, the only other attachment points i use are the mounts along the bottoms which i attack using sheet metal crews and body washers. i've driven vert over the century mark on the speedo with them attached like that and i've never lost one. :wink:

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:33 pm 

t3 ragtop wrote:
it's a simple strip of metal with a bend in it that's spot welded to the rocker panel just below the door frames. it acts as a support for the tops of the horizontal lengths of the side skirts.

the rails i just exposed on my donor gt were rusted so badly that a picture would resemble an archeological relic. :-P

once you have the vertical uprights at each end secure to the fenders, the only other attachment points i use are the mounts along the bottoms which i attack using sheet metal crews and body washers. i've driven vert over the century mark on the speedo with them attached like that and i've never lost one. :wink:

Yeah, you described them to me and how to install them without... was just curious to see them. 'archeological relic, lol.

'94 RHD (Totaled)
Vail, AZ

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:57 pm 

This?

Got ya on the GeoForm too. :cheers:

Extreme Make Over....SnowFish Addiction

1991 Metro Xfi Sport, Crower F12142 Cam, +2 degrees on adjustable sprocket, .020 Over, Balanced & Blue Printed, 3.79 final drive, WhiteLine Bushings Everywhere, 185/60R14's, TBI Bridge Delete, Edelbrock Air Cleaner, Stainless Header, 2 Inch Exhaust, Magnaflow GlassPack, Swift Twin Exit Muffler.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:16 pm 
Suzuki Elder

94 RHD Metro wrote:
Yeah, you described them to me and how to install them without... was just curious to see them. 'archeological relic, lol.

you're really going to make me post a pic of a clapped out piece of crap, aren't you? :lol:

front fastener and the rail below the door, rotting off a rotted rocker. :lol:

left side and rear fasteners. i used the good side for these pics. there's nothing but lichen looking blooms of rust on the right side. :twisted:

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:07 pm 

94 RHD Metro its not that hard, you could close your eyes doing it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:55 am 

t3 ragtop wrote:
94 RHD Metro wrote:

front fastener and the rail below the door, rotting off a rotted rocker.
left side and rear fasteners. i used the good side for these pics. there's nothing but lichen looking blooms of rust on the right side.

So, the white colored circles are 'fasteners'? Aren't there also holes and screws into the wheel-well opening edges too? (Obviously not on this red car anymore).

'94 RHD (Totaled)
Vail, AZ

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:27 pm 

Those circles fit into notches in the skirts. One in front and two in rear from memory. They are easy to break and damn near impossible to remove. I have some spare SGP parts (with number) here somewhere...

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:49 pm 

nzswift wrote:
Those circles fit into notches in the skirts. One in front and two in rear from memory. They are easy to break and damn near impossible to remove. I have some spare SGP parts (with number) here somewhere...

Hmm... interesting. With what t3ragtop describes, I should be able to get away with screwing the uprights on either end to the fender wells, and then fasten the long part under the door with screws, and not have to worry about these other fasteners. Unless I figure out the necessary depth of the notches and shim out pan head screws or something to catch them.

'94 RHD (Totaled)
Vail, AZ

ImageImageImage

Last edited by 94 RHD Metro on Fri May 31, 2013 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:38 am 

Why be a cheap ass? The original fasteners aren't all that expensive and are specific to the skirts.
I'll find the SGP part number for you in the morning....

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:53 am 

nzswift wrote:
Why be a cheap ass? The original fasteners aren't all that expensive and are specific to the skirts.
I'll find the SGP part number for you in the morning....

Well, if new ones can be sourced, I'd be up for it. Of course, it would require getting some measurements, to know where to mount them.

'94 RHD (Totaled)
Vail, AZ

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 4:38 pm 

SGP part number for skirt clips are:

77213-60B00

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:01 pm 
Suzuki Elder

don't forget to buy a square hole sheet metal punch out tool for the bottom mounting hardware and a spot welder for the steel upper bracket. the holes up on the front and rear fenders are round so you can locate those and bang them in with a twist drill and drill motor.

the square holes and upper mount were fabricated on the outer rocker component before the rocker tube was pressed, assembled, and pinch welded at the assembly plant.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:13 pm 
@ssclown

JV&S and i put mine on with out the steel strips.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:42 pm 

yummybacon wrote:

Just screws in the wheel wells and along the bottom?

'94 RHD (Totaled)
Vail, AZ

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:14 pm 

t3 ragtop wrote:
don't forget to buy a square hole sheet metal punch out tool for the bottom mounting hardware and a spot welder for the steel upper bracket. the holes up on the front and rear fenders are round so you can locate those and bang them in with a twist drill and drill motor.

the square holes and upper mount were fabricated on the outer rocker component before the rocker tube was pressed, assembled, and pinch welded at the assembly plant.

"the holes up on the front and rear fenders are round so you can locate those and bang them in with a twist drill and drill motor" - t3, by this are you referring to the holes for the white retaining clips on the faces of the fenders, or the wheel well edges? I ordered the retaining clips, and they should be in shortly. I hope they only require a round hole to install and not a square one..

'94 RHD (Totaled)
Vail, AZ

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:21 pm 
Suzuki Elder

the plastic button like clips on the side front and rear fenders fit into round holes.

the rows on either rocker bottom use inserts that fit into square holes. the white nylon inserts are like what you find to mount license plates. you pop those in and then run sheet metal screws into the inserts.

those are square so that they don't spin while you are turning the screws in or out.

you could drill a round starter hole and then use a rat tail corner file to hand cut the corners.

there are about 10 holes on each side, 20 total. 4 corners in each one means you would make 80 corners by hand. buy a wee square file.

better buy a handful of files - and some blister cream and a box of bandaids. :lol:

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:53 pm 

For those three round clips I just used some rather large headed sheet metal screws and screwed them in with just enough of a gap to slide the skirt over. You just have to take some measurements to get them in the right place.

Ken...........

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:08 pm 

t3 ragtop wrote:
the plastic button like clips on the side front and rear fenders fit into round holes.

the rows on either rocker bottom use inserts that fit into square holes. the white nylon inserts are like what you find to mount license plates. you pop those in and then run sheet metal screws into the inserts.

those are square so that they don't spin while you are turning the screws in or out.

you could drill a round starter hole and then use a rat tail corner file to hand cut the corners.

there are about 10 holes on each side, 20 total. 4 corners in each one means you would make 80 corners by hand. buy a wee square file.

better buy a handful of files - and some blister cream and a box of bandaids. :lol:

Thx. Good to hear the button clips go into round holes. I figure if it comes down to it, I can use self-tappers into the rockers across the bottom. Then if I really wanna get crazy, I can weld on similar metal holders like you shared in this pic at any time:

'94 RHD (Totaled)
Vail, AZ

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:45 pm 
@ssclown

94 RHD Metro wrote:
yummybacon wrote:

Just screws in the wheel wells and along the bottom?

Just use screws on the bottom and you will have to drill a hole in the fender and just past the door.Hold them up so you can so you drill the hole in the right place.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:24 am 

This should help out
Attachment:
Picture 1009.jpg
Picture 1009.jpg [ 452.35 KIB | Viewed 3899 times ]

Attachment:
Picture 1012.jpg
Picture 1012.jpg [ 570.21 KIB | Viewed 3899 times ]

Attachment:
Picture 1013.jpg
Picture 1013.jpg [ 338.33 KIB | Viewed 3899 times ]

Attachment:
Picture 1014.jpg
Picture 1014.jpg [ 452.77 KIB | Viewed 3899 times ]

Attachment:
Picture 1015.jpg
Picture 1015.jpg [ 482.21 KIB | Viewed 3899 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:52 pm 

Thanks. Now I can see exactly what the OEM brackets look like. Probably won't be going that far, with the lower piece, but will be using the fender retainers, which are on back-order, and screws into the lower rocker. :?

'94 RHD (Totaled)
Vail, AZ

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:32 pm 

My Skirt retainers came in finally. Now to determine the placement and what size hole into the fender and get the things mounted up! Thanks to everyone who helped out with info and pics.

'94 RHD (Totaled)
Vail, AZ

ImageImageImage