TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:13 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:22 am 

Hi has anyone ever swaped the ugly round mk3 dash(imo) with the nicer mk2 retro dash?

I have both shape cars and want to swap the mk3 dash with my mk2, i can see the heater controles are in a diffrent location. But mounting points look the same. If any ones done this swap i would like to know how hard it was and what was involved to complete.

cheers

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:41 pm 

Hi,
I have not done this swap (I know nothing of the mk2 dash) but a few weekends ago I swapped a cracked mk3 for a non-cracked mk3. It killed most of my weekend but I only worked on it 9am-4pm. You have to take the console out and pop the steering wheel and remove the speedo and radio. The worst part of the mk3 is there are 2 screws facing backwards behind the radio area. I used a short phillips drill bit and a 1/4 wrench to get those loose. There are several metal wire clips behind the speedo that hold the harness in which I fought for quite awhile before getting them all. But you may not care about the intricacies of the mk3 if you are getting rid of it...
A couple of other mk3 tips:
As for the doors the hard part with is the window cranks. If you hold your mouth right you can usually use a bent tip screwdriver to pop the clip that holds them on but they like to fly so you may want to wear glasses and have a helper watch where it goes. I usually pop the bottom of the door handle bezels first. I've had good luck not breaking them that way but I may just be lucky so far.
I suggest keeping some post-its and a box of ziplock baggies to keep track of all of the screws.
Once you get the dash out there may be some miscellaneous brackets that are different between the two but I would guess that would be pretty straight forward.
Oh and remember to swap the VIN plates before you reassemble!
Personally, I can't stand the older dash and will only buy 92-94 metros just because of the dash but to each their own... :-)
Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:36 pm 

I've done it. Getting the dash out and back in is a piece of cake. I've done a few heater cores and had to pull dash, maybe an hour in and out. But as far as swapping mk3 to mk2, there is a few hitches. The door panels need to be swapped, they fit together with the dash. Also you have to drill out the spot welds on the dash mounting tabs welded to the body just under the windshield and move them, or replace them with mk2 tabs. That part wasn't terribly hard, but was a bit of a pain as it first appears to be a straight bolt in job.

1967 Mustang 428 auto, never ending expensive project
1993 Civic si h22a, fell in my lap, couldn't resist!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:14 pm 
Island Inbreeder

wish i had a nickle every time a member has done it it ezy you need to reclame the mounting brakets for the MK3 when
installing a MK3 into a MK2 car....jv&s

t3 ragtop wrote:
the 3 banger isn't at all a "grenade." it's a tough little son of a bitch doing a big job. respect it.
suprf1y wrote:
I didn't save anything.Vehicles are to me, like little boys are to Tommy.Toys to be abused for my own personal pleasure.
jrjd wrote:
"Driving a Swift GTi is like driving a bike in your house".

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:18 pm 

Yes. Clearly stated in my post. It's the part of that swap that is a pain.

1967 Mustang 428 auto, never ending expensive project
1993 Civic si h22a, fell in my lap, couldn't resist!