TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:41 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:17 am 

Installation of LED Strip Light in Suzuki Cultus/Swift Glove Box

Overview:
I have observed that Cultus/Swift Glove Box is too dark if you open it in night without turning on the dome light, so I have this feeling that there should be a light source in the glove box so without turning on the dome light, it should lit up with just opening the drawer.

I have installed LED Strip Light in Cultus Glove Box. It lights up when you open its drawer. I have done this tutorial for Suzuki Swift/Cultus but it might work for other vehicles having the same drawer.

I will upload the pictures soon; unfortunately I haven't clicked any pictures at the time of modifications.

Disclaimer: I will not be responsible for any damage you made to your can by doing this DIY.

Things You need:
• LED Strip 1 Feet or as per need.
• Copper or any other soft flexible metal piece so it can easily bend without getting broken.
• Solder Iron with some solder wire
• Some wire of 18 gauge or so for wiring
• Adhessive Material : Epoxy or Elfy (I recommend Magic Epoxy over Elfy)

How to:
Cut down LED strip of desired length and solder a wire (Red & Black) with its positive(red) and negative(black) terminals. In my case, I cut down a quarter ft (9 Inches) LED Strip. I put the chrome tape on a cardboard/chart and glued it to the roof of dashboard drawer for extra light reflection and glued the LED strip on it.
You can get chrome tape from any Air Conditioner or Refrigerator spare parts shop.

1. First Open the dashboard front speaker (left in my case if you have steering at left side then it will be your right speaker) panel. Also open the dashboard drawer screws and grab the drawer out of the dashboard. (As shown in pictures)
Attachment:
sp screws.jpg
sp screws.jpg [ 99.34 KIB | Viewed 2237 times ]

2. Now wrap a soft/flexible metal (copper) piece on the left leg/stopper of the drawer (not shown in pic) and glue it with some good adhesive (epoxy, elfy) and Solder a red wire with this metal piece and join this end of wire with LED strip's positive/red wire. Make sure to leave some extra wire for the drawer movement and distance from LED strip
Attachment:
Copper strap.jpg
Copper strap.jpg [ 7.61 KIB | Viewed 2237 times ]

3. Now cut a tiny metal piece and solder a red wire with it and here is the tricky moment. Glue this metal piece on the place where the drawer leg stops. So in this way the circuit will be completed and a connection would be made and as a result the LED will be lit up.
After solder and glued with body join it with the constant 12v wire of battery. In my case I found a spare power grip in Car's stereo power grips (It contains both positive and negative current), so I got both positive and negative current from there.
Attachment:
screws copy.jpg
screws copy.jpg [ 51.54 KIB | Viewed 2237 times ]

4. Connect the negative/black wire of the LED with the body of the car. Because car’s whole body has negative current. In my case I got the negative current from the spare grip of car's audio power grip.

Attachment:
roof copy.jpg
roof copy.jpg [ 58.67 KIB | Viewed 2237 times ]

Attachment:
light.jpg
light.jpg [ 33.98 KIB | Viewed 2237 times ]

Attachment:
leg.jpg
leg.jpg [ 106.36 KIB | Viewed 2237 times ]

I am not a very good elaborator but I have tried my best to explain everything in this thread. If there is any thing missing over here then kindly inform :-)

Regards,
Shahid Mehmood

Last edited by chshahid2k on Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:49 pm 

Great attention to detail and something which certainly can help at night.
In North America we call your project: LED lighting of the glove box including an automatic door switch.
You are much closer to restoration parts than we.
Looking forward to your Khyber posts.

DIY Shocks: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45483
DIY Wheel Align: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42479
Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:01 am 

Quote:
Great attention to detail and something which certainly can help at night.
In North America we call your project: LED lighting of the glove box including an automatic door switch.

Thanks for the appreciation , the name "Glove Box" was just slipped from my mind so I used "Dashboard Drawer" sounds awkward I know ;).

and it does not include any door switch, first when I was looking for a Glove Box light solution i was thinking to add a button like door switch in glove box, but there was not enough space for mounting and it wouldnt go clean, coz there would be so many visible wires n mess,

in the solution i posted u cant see any wires or even the LED strip. just open n boom ;) though i have not much knowledge about electronics or engineering , so i kept it simple, by just completing a circuit and breaking it. :)

and yeah i will restore the Khyber project soon; but its not the same i have seen on TV like americans do :D, it would be a little restoration.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:56 am 

chshahid2k wrote:

and yeah i will restore the Khyber project soon; but its not the same i have seen on TV like americans do :D, it would be a little restoration.

Don't consider any restorations you see on tv as typical American. Those are for well off people and not typical.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:16 am 

top down@-40 wrote:

Don't consider any restorations you see on tv as typical American. Those are for well off people and not typical.

yeah those are MASSIVE restoration not everyone could afford. maintaining a vehicle is an expensive job

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:58 am 

If you get a chance, post some of those natural gas/gasoline conversions which are so popular in your Country.
Do you switch from gasoline to CNG by flipping a switch inside the car?

A lot of people here have problems with the carb and would consider running off what we call, 'Certified Natural Gas'.

And before I forget, check out this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48459

Members here would be seriously interested in a group buy of the door and window rubber/felt for this body style:
Especially around those fixed windows in the back.

DIY Shocks: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45483
DIY Wheel Align: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42479
Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:19 am 

Phil N Ed wrote:

Khyber/Swift/Cultus/MK1 Restoration project is UP in this thread

http://teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?t=57422