TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:45 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:53 pm 

So I'd like to post part of my project to hopefully help any other cheap sk8's trying to make a wanna be racecar out of a 3 banger.

So I purchased carpet and embroidered floor mats for my project I believe it ran me around $350 usd.

Thoughts: Take note of the part of their description that says carpet is molded to fit but has excess material on edges. Had I bought the non insulated carpet probably would have made this much easier but I thought it was a good idea to go double plush. You'd better go get yourself a few .97 box knifes from Walmart a pack of band aids and a 6 pack. Took me three nights for it to fit well and I'm a young guy and mechanic by the last day my hands felt like they were gonna fall off. However the floor mats were great once I had my carpet in I take the mats out of the plastic and set them in stood back and thought damn why couldn't the carpets be that easy :lol:

I next purchased a set of reclining slider bucket seats off eBay I think they ran about $220

Thoughts: Imidietly throw out the harnesses they come with just because they say sabelt does not mean jack. They are fake are not safe and just to see how cheap they were I put them in my car leaned foreward and the buckle broke HA :roll: the seats with some creativity can use the factory rails. You have bend the slider handle downwards and lengthen the holes where they bolt to the seat you can then bolt them to the new eBay seats. You can bolt one side to the factory holes in the car and then have to take some angle iron and get creative for the other but hey I'm cheap I'm not gonna buy the aftermarket rails which would make my seats sit an inch higher and make my head touch the roof when I can go to my scrap pile and use my motivator(5lb sledge) to make my own and keep stock height.

I then bought the matching steering wheel from eBay for 19.99 and a $10 Suzuki samurai adapter.

Thoughts: Toss out that lame as S*** jdm horn button sticker in the garbage where it belongs. The red line on the steering wheel cannot be perfectly centered. Well torque steer it's never gonna be straight anyways right? :lol: as for the adapter well I got what I paid for had to drill holes for my roll pins to keep normal operation of my turn signals. The boot that comes on the adapter was for a Sammy so there's a small gap between it and my column oh well I'll buy a better one when I'm not broke.

I bought a shift knob for a Subaru wrx which shares the same thread pitch as us $20(about twice what I wanted to spend)

Thoughts: well I like it 8)

I found some old harnesses in a box in my grandpas garage and an old roll bar from a 1973 mgb.
The bar is to small to be a roll bar but sure as heck it's the perfect hight to be a harness bar and will mount well where my rear seat used to be.

All in all I was surprised in the quality I received for buying the cheapest junk on the webs however don't go cheap on safety equipment or it could cost you your spine.

Pictures: https://flickr.com/photos/146386930@N04 ... 2536270955
Note I don't think any of the pictures show the final product I left my brake light switch under the carpet and have since taken the seats out to find that little SOB.

1978 Chevy monza 2+2, 74 step side Chevy, firebird,firebird,fake 91 firehawk in the making,trans am(dd),other trans am, n/a mk1 sprint, and my baby 1987 Chevy sprint turbo in red. How many run right now? Just the n/a sprint. It's not a collection it's my retirement plan.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:43 am 

As Lowell Fulson said, "Reconsider, baby."

If the roof of the Sprint collapses on you, due to rolling or whatever, then the harness will keep you upright in your seat and there goes your spine.

A proper rollbar/rollcage would keep the roof from collapsing, but then your head could hit it, so a helmet would be needed.

Just a suggestion, based on reading, not on my experience. I recommend you research the topic of harnesses and rollbars.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:17 am 

I completely agree once I can afford one I'm having sdmf make me a partial cage and roll bar. But this car is being built for the street and my initial concern is being tail ended so for now the harness bar should do.

1978 Chevy monza 2+2, 74 step side Chevy, firebird,firebird,fake 91 firehawk in the making,trans am(dd),other trans am, n/a mk1 sprint, and my baby 1987 Chevy sprint turbo in red. How many run right now? Just the n/a sprint. It's not a collection it's my retirement plan.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:28 am 

87paperchuckerTurbo wrote:
So I'd like to post part of my project to hopefully help any other cheap sk8's trying to make a wanna be racecar out of a 3 banger.

So I purchased carpet and embroidered floor mats for my project I believe it ran me around $350 usd.

Thoughts: Take note of the part of their description that says carpet is molded to fit but has excess material on edges. Had I bought the non insulated carpet probably would have made this much easier but I thought it was a good idea to go double plush. You'd better go get yourself a few .97 box knifes from Walmart a pack of band aids and a 6 pack. Took me three nights for it to fit well and I'm a young guy and mechanic by the last day my hands felt like they were gonna fall off. However the floor mats were great once I had my Best carpet cleaning kelowna in I take the mats out of the plastic and set them in stood back and thought damn why couldn't the carpets be that easy :lol:

I next purchased a set of reclining slider bucket seats off eBay I think they ran about $220

Thoughts: Imidietly throw out the harnesses they come with just because they say sabelt does not mean jack. They are fake are not safe and just to see how cheap they were I put them in my car leaned foreward and the buckle broke HA :roll: the seats with some creativity can use the factory rails. You have bend the slider handle downwards and lengthen the holes where they bolt to the seat you can then bolt them to the new eBay seats. You can bolt one side to the factory holes in the car and then have to take some angle iron and get creative for the other but hey I'm cheap I'm not gonna buy the aftermarket rails which would make my seats sit an inch higher and make my head touch the roof when I can go to my scrap pile and use my motivator(5lb sledge) to make my own and keep stock height.

I then bought the matching steering wheel from eBay for 19.99 and a $10 Suzuki samurai adapter.

Thoughts: Toss out that lame as S*** jdm horn button sticker in the garbage where it belongs. The red line on the steering wheel cannot be perfectly centered. Well torque steer it's never gonna be straight anyways right? :lol: as for the adapter well I got what I paid for had to drill holes for my roll pins to keep normal operation of my turn signals. The boot that comes on the adapter was for a Sammy so there's a small gap between it and my column oh well I'll buy a better one when I'm not broke.

I bought a shift knob for a Subaru wrx which shares the same thread pitch as us $20(about twice what I wanted to spend)

Thoughts: well I like it 8)

I found some old harnesses in a box in my grandpas garage and an old roll bar from a 1973 mgb.
The bar is to small to be a roll bar but sure as heck it's the perfect hight to be a harness bar and will mount well where my rear seat used to be.

All in all I was surprised in the quality I received for buying the cheapest junk on the webs however don't go cheap on safety equipment or it could cost you your spine.

Pictures: https://flickr.com/photos/146386930@N04 ... 2536270955
Note I don't think any of the pictures show the final product I left my brake light switch under the carpet and have since taken the seats out to find that little SOB.

Hello,
Thanks for sharing information with us.
I also wants to buy seats for my Mustang and carpet for the floor. But $350 is quite expensive. So I will search more to get a decent price.....

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:22 pm 

350 was for the premium double plush with embroidered floor mats I believe the base price is around 110 plus shipping. Depending on the year of mustang I'd just go to a wrecking yard find some without wear or burns that's probably moldy pull it buy it cheap then shampoo and pressure wash it. I've done that on 2 firebirds now 8) I recognized the embroidered floor mats from a turbo sprint that was in hot rod magazine and thought it'd look pretty sweet at the time I was making good money and had about $500 each check to spend on my project after paying my bills and taking my wife out :lol: