TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:00 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Help Removing Fenders
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:20 am 

Hello all

Can you please give me the tips and tricks on how to remove both left and right front fenders.

Pics are always welcomed.

Ray G

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:55 am 

There are 8-10mm bolts to remove per fender. Jack the car up and take the wheel off. Un-button the plastic inner fender liner. There is a 10mm bolt at the front that hold the fender to the top bumper cover garnish and a 10mm bolt in the wheel well at the door that needs to come out. Then 4 along the top of the fender in the engine bay. Take out the 10mm bolt at the top of the fender inside the door opening with the door open wide (use a couple of 1/4 drive extensions put together with a 3/8 to 1/4 adapter). The bottom bolt at the rocker is the last one to be removed. Oh.... take out the corner light and remove the old fender. :D :D :shock: :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:15 pm 

Wow I wished I had seen this post in any of the last couple of days, I have actually removed the fender off of my 95 and 99 Metro/Swifts.

I don't know how much of how the fender differs from the 95/99 to the 93's.

Jacking up the car is not really necessary, but will help you out significantly, especially being on a 93, with the lower ride height.

RAYGO seems to provide a fairly decent account of how to take it off.

Remove Liner
On mine there were 4 screws that attach the liner to both the fender and body of the car. Then you will have to unbutton the rest.

Something may differ between my cars and yours, so I would follow RAYGO's guide. I have for example 10 10mm bolts connecting my fender to my car. I also do not have to remove the any lights to access any bolts, looks like you'll have to though.

Some things I have noticed on taking off my fenders. that you should be weary of.

1. If you do not have a 1/4 socket/ set, you can remove the bolts by the door by using a 10mm wrench. I would also suggest before starting to remove, that you soak all the bolts with some penetrating oil. All cam cleanly off my 99, but I brok 2-3 bolts on my 95 parts car, it does not take much to snap the heads off of them.

2. On my fender I have two bolts near the the front light. One attaches directly to the body, the other attaches to a brace that connects to a mounting point further in. The one that attaches to the body should come off pretty easyily. The one that attaches via a braces you may have difficulty with. On both of my cars, that brace has severly weakened with time and on my 99 it turned into a pretzel. I made a new one after getting one off my parts car by detaching the brace at the body, and pulling the whole fender off. If you plan on putting the fender back on, I suggest you detach the brace from the body also.

The fender actually comes off pretty easy, just try to not break some bolts, they snap easily.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:14 pm 

Can I use the same trick in my SX4?