TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:37 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: sony CDX 505RF
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:53 pm 

okay, so my dad said i could have this 10 disc cd changer to put in my geo for the time being. We got it free from a friend, so im assuming it works, as he wouldn't be much of a friend if he lied to me. Problem is that I myself don't have very much experience in this field. I have a little, but not really enough. Anyways, ill get to the point. I have all the conections necessary for the player to work. It seems that it works through a factory deck. I have all the cables and whatnot that came with the unit originally. I read that the head unit must have "UniLink control capability" as well as left and right input jacks for it to work. Is there any chance that the factory deck tape deck on a 1997 Geo Metro HB has these? Is this gonna be relativly easy to hook up? I mean, i could just dive in there and start pulling things apart and ask questions later...but I figured I'd try and get some info first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:09 pm 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

read this:
http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?t=12631

maybe a picture Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:03 pm 

Okay, so I spent some time, and I've got pretty much the entire thing figured out now with one exception. I have everything i need to hook it up. There is something like a wiring harness for it. There are 3 wires. Black, which is obviously the ground, red and yellow. Now, I don't know for sure, but i think one of these is for the accessory position for the ignition, and the other is for the on position. Is that right? If so, would any of you know which might be which, or does it even matter? Im gonna install it tomorrow night i think...or wednsday at the latest, so if you could get back to me before that it would be nice. Also, thank you Lihtan for the link. Sorry i didn't find that when i did my half assed search...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:45 pm 

Black, as you said, goes to ground, - red should go to the +12V switched ACC feed on your ignition switch, and yellow to a +12V unswitched feed.

The red wire supplies operating power to the equipment, the yellow wire supplies power to clock & memory circuits.

On a Mk3 (and I assume later models) the OEM deck is fed from a 3 pin connector which supplies +12V switched ACC (W/B), +12V unswitched (W) and +12V lighting (R/Y) - this last is a controlled by the park light switch, and may or may not be needed on the new deck. The ground is a separate connection to the underdash crossmember.

http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?t=10221

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:38 am 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

keywords: FAQ, wire, wires, wiring, circuit, circuits, check, checking, test, testing, tester, multimeter, multi meter, continuity

The easiest way to be sure what the wires do, is check them with a multimeter or a test light before you wire them up.

Connect one lead to something grounded (like the metal brace under the dash) and the other lead to one of the wires:
• if you get a voltage reading with the ignition in the OFF position, the wire goes straight to the battery
• if you get a voltage reading with the ignition in the ACC position, the wire gets power from Accessory (it will probably also get power from ON as well)
• if you get a voltage reading with the ignition in the ON position, the wire gets power from Ignition/On (check if ACC delivers power too)
• if you don't get any voltage reading from the ignition in any position, turn the lights on to see if it's on a lamp circuit. You should see a voltage fluctuation if you turn the dimmer knob
• if you still don't get any voltage reading from the ignition in any position, trying doing a continuity test to see if it's a ground wire.
• you may also have a factory speaker wire on hand, don't bother trying to test for this, factory speaker wires should be replaced when you install a stereo anyways.

maybe a picture Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:36 pm 

So, im all wired up and blasting my 10 discs and pissing off the neighbors. haha. I dont think they mind the nirvana...but i can't say the same for the thrash metal and screamo that i like to listen to. Thanks for you help guys and links. I decided to use the cigarette lighter for the switched source because i didnt want to mess around with the fuses and i dont smoke and never will...so yeah, it was in a convinient location as well. Thanks again, for the links and hints.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:23 pm 

So when does the cig lighter have power? All the time or ACC or ON?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:24 pm 

And whats switched and unswitched?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:35 pm 
banned

OzBarina wrote:

plugged in is probably on

unplugged is probably off.

lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:07 pm 
Suzuki Elder

OzBarina wrote:
So when does the cig lighter have power? All the time or ACC or ON?

the cigarette lighter is energized when the key is switched to acc or on.

OzBarina wrote:

switched refers to off or on in conjunction with the key position. unswitched would be live all of the time.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:22 am 

umm sometimes the ACC wire on a stereo (particulary units like pioneer and kenwood, and high-powered ones) is just to tell the unit to turn on, the constant supplies all running power for the stereo, when called upon by the ACC wire, so u cant just wire that constant to a shitty little clock wire. u need to wire that to a nice thick wire (such as a #12 wire) wire it to battery positive, with an inline 15amp fuse no further than 30cm (12 in.) from the battery positive. best way to check which one supplies running power to the HU, disconnect constant but leave acc and ground hooked up, turn acc on, if it doesnt turn on then ur constant supplies the majority, if it does but doesnt hold memory or clock then ur fine and then wire it to a shitty clock wire, it wont hurt.