TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:07 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:48 pm
Posts: 19
Location: houston
Alright. Have to start work in about an hour (not like I haven't been here all night; sometimes I really hate my boss) so... last post.

M. Your right. I am nuts. And this was guaranteed to turn into an argument as soon as you called me a freaking idiot. However, I really have no interest in trying to make you look like a fool, or rub your nose in it or anything. If I wanted to do that I would have replied to your post on CS.ORG.

So here's what we can do. I just created a new user name over there( didn't want my profile to influence this one way or the other) same user name as here. So why don't we take this over there, and see what the boys have to say? We can post EVERYTHING i said this time, and see if they agree or not.

In fact, if you want to protect your standing over there, why don't you create a new user name as well. What do you say?

p.s. mine is bigger, I'll send pictures. HAHA Just kidding :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:48 am 
Offline
King of Pompous
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2001 4:22 pm
Posts: 5596
Location: Ottawa ONT.
scotch wrote:
Where to start? Well, evidently I'm a complete idiot. Right?


Only when you say things that are completely false.

Quote:
Linear excursion isn't Xmax.


I'm not gonna give you the definitoin again...you can't argue with it...it's written by the ones who made them up. Send your definition to those who revise all the books. When they update it to say what you say I'll add the "true" parameter for Linear excursion to my programs. As of yet I see nothing within TS parameters that shows linear excursion as anythinig but X-max.


Quote:
For the Stroker. The rear spider is attached 6.25" from the front of the top plate. The voice coil is seven inches long. It is sitting in a gap that is 13" from top plate to bottom. Under the "xmax", we actually only got 17MM*2.


Your numbers aren't adding up here. The original Stroker was only 7 1/8" deep from the base of the motor to the top of the basket.

Quote:
In response to Mms; the weight of the cone assembly plus the driver radiation mass load(the amount calculated in Vd) that the cone will have to move? in other words the total moving mass of a driver, including the small amount of air before and behind the cone. This is in response to how speakers can't handle the power ratings they advertise? Or was it in response to why "spl" speakers need so much power? Either way, it really doesn't have much real world affect on either. Sure a greater Mms will result in needing more power to move them, but in real world application, we're talking 1 or 2 watts.


It is in response to why many drivers (SPL included) need high power numbers in the first place. Don't forget that most audiophile grade speakers can measure as low as 87db sensitivity. It's gonna take twice the amount of power to get that 87db speaker to play as loud as the one specd at 90db. It's actualy a bit more than 1-2W. In some cases the differences in weight can measure 1-2db if not more in extreme cases.

Quote:
If you had quoted the BL (expressed in Tesla Meters, for those of you that are still convinced that I don't know what I'm talking about);


Is that statement supposed to show that you do? It's written right here in my manual...Bl is measured in Tesla/meters...that means I know what I'm talking about all of a sudden? Please...as you would say...step up to the plate. Now why would I need to start quoting Bl? More Mms needs more motor to push it (Bl) needs a bigger coil to handle the extra power. Yes it's a generalization...but it get's the point across. Your convinced that Linear Excursion (X-max) is the most important part of the puzzle...these other parameters must pale in comparison right?


Quote:
The Kicker Square speaker. Um... I didn't say they were the best out there, you did implied I did. They're not bad, I've heard plenty that sounded just fine. They don't have a very linear response, and they break up rather easily, but I never said they were the end all be all of speakers. You tried to imply that I said that.


Actualy I said nothing...I just quoted what you said.

Quote:
In fact. I have two that I bought back in '95. I liked the fact that you could get decent sound out of a very small in-closer, well it was very small for the time, and they're still doing fine. I've had to replace the surround, the sun and usage made them fall apart, but they are far from the pieces of crap that you ar claiming.


Actualy the squares are only about 5-6 years old. They weren't made way back in 95. You would have to be talking about the original Solobarics that they made (by name not enclosure type). I never made out that line to be crap...sounded very good took home plenty of awards. Squares, again, are another story.

Quote:
"You're amp is about 10% efficient?" Come on man! Ohm's Law, I=E/R.


Interesting. Doesn't matter the ohms to me wether they were running at 0.5 or 16...the numbers make no sense to the amp you are talking about....I looked back on all the ADS amps out there...not a single one had a current draw of close to 240 amps for a 6 channel or otherwise. Can you please produce the model number? This is becoming an intriguing amplifier.

Quote:
The only thing I'm going to say, is that all the other guys claiming 20,000 WATTS couldn't have replaced their alternator either huh? They're all running with a small 60AMP Geo alt. Well.... They probably are. I think that about 90% of those guys are idiots.


Certainly not but then you get into amplifier topology and classification. My Fusion Class D will do a lot more power with 60A and 12V than my old MTX Class A will. Claims are just that. Claims. Like saying you have 20,000W or saying that a sub can do 8" of excursion linear or otherwise...haven't found those subs yet either...I'm a tool on Google searches...maybe you can put that link up too....

OK. So on to the first thing I said. 6x9's are an inherently bad design. How about a few definitions for you.

Don't need those thanks. Since you don't understand the definitiion of X-max i see no reason to give credibility to any of the other parameters right? i mean the definitions are right there in front of us...but since the difinition of X-max is wrong...doesn't it mean that the other values might be too? And i thought that X-max was the most important factor to the speaker anyways? Certainly those others aren't gonna help much. Hell I've been designing enclosures all wrong for the past 15 or so years because i haven't been putting any emphasuis on the speaker's X-max...please don't tell all my happy customers....they might want a refund....

Quote:
Get all that people. What that means is that for a 6x9 the Q parameters are crap.


What does it matter what those parameters say to the quality of the speaker? You haven't made a single mention of X-max in there? You said earlier that it is the most important parameter and now your trying to convince us to look at the other parameters now to determine the quality of the speaker? Now your funny and confusing.

Quote:
Here's a little test. Go outside and look at your 6x9. Now, take your fingers and push the speaker in (or down). See how the Surround creases, and how with just a little pressure the cone flexes...Now I know what your going to post. That you can't make a material that reacts perfectly to pressure.


Actualy I wasn't gonna post that. I was more curious to how many instances you can think of that a speaker will be subjected to point pressure like that "in the real world"? Sure it's gonna see it in a small enclosure but these speakers (if you look at the TS parameters....ignore X-max [linear or otherwise] though cause it won't help with the enclosure design) are designed to run in an infinite baffle. That means they have very little pressure against them in the first place. The mechanicals are made very light to increase the efficiency of the driver and to keep auto manufacturers happy with the weight. This is a tradeoff and not a design flaw. You could make a 6x9 that doesn't flex at all. I seen an example from CES a long time ago that showed this. The cone was a carbon/kevlar material that had the same flex as a conventional round speaker. Why aren't they mass produced then? There is no real market for a high end 6x9. By the time consumers are paying that kind of money for speakers they are into component setsthat offer better sonics because of having seperate midbass/tweeters along with a crossover network. Why would you pay $200+ for a coax (oval or round) when you can get a full component system for the same price that offers better sonics?


Quote:
but the problem is exacerbated by the suspension design of a 6x9. The long sides start to flex very early in movement, they in turn transmit this flex to the shorter sides trying to compensate. This causes a breakdown of the most basic system in the speaker. The voice coil moves around in the gap in an unwanted way. The cone flex causes improper wave production, etc.. All parameters (Qms;Qes;Qts) are affected. Satisfied?


The coil isn't moving. The spider (which is unaffected by the cone flexing the small amounts that a midbass would) is what keeps the coil in rigid alignment to the gap. The biggest component to the 6x9's inability to have superior sonics is again related to tradeoffs. You want a light assembly because the speaker needs to be as efficient as possible. you want it this way so that when average Joe walks into the shop for a new set of speakers you don't have to upsell him on an amp just so that he can get over the inefficiencies of a high mass/well damped cone. This tradeoff makes the cone's tendency to resonate (different from flex) much higher and obviously much more pronounced within the audible range.


Quote:
And Superfly; If 6x9's were optimized for performance, we would have them in everything. Home theaters; stereos; movie theaters. No body makes them except to put in cars. I'm not trying to be a dick, but They're just not a very good design. It's another example of how a marketing department has convinced a lot of people that there product is the thing to have.


Home theaters/stereos/movie theaters aren't bound by the size constraints of vehicles. that is why they aren't mass produced outside of car audio as much. you do see a lot of ovals in small computer speakers, televisions, clock radios, and many other things that require a very small driver. The oval gives you a slim driver with a larger Vd than a conventional round diaphram. The marketing departments haven't convinced anybody. The auto manufacturers built the driver to the car...not the other way around. Marketing just makes you think that their particular brand of 6x9 is better than the other brands out there. They do this with all the speakers they produce regardless of shape.

Quote:
Now M; If you want to be the only one posting here that knows anything about stereos, fine.


There are actualy quite a few people that post here about stereos. I don't bash on them...because they don't make white blanket statements. When they or I do...we correct each other. Get used to it.

Quote:
If you want to have real conversations about stereos with someone that knows a thing or two, cool.


I do that to. But you haven't shown me or any others that you know a thing or two yet. Sure you can tell me about Qms, Qts, Qes, Bl, and Vd...but that's pretty common knowledge in here...you haven't gotten X-max down quite yet (I propose we call Linnear X-max "Lx" from this day forth) but maybe some day that will come. I see what your getting at with the 6x9's...I really do...and for some part of it I agree with you...but your cases are all geared to very extreme cases and not to the real world at all. Had your post simply said something like "6x9's have poor tonality" I wouldn't have argued. I agree...they aren't really in abundance as a high end speaker. Hell I don't even like having rear speakers so I couldn't care less about the design of the 6x9. Your other statements are what prompted me reply.

Quote:
Your saying that your dick is bigger, but you don't want to drop your pants.


Not sure what you mean by that...since I've basicaly answered all your comments intellegently and factualy while you haven't shown me one shred of proof....but whatever....in any case I don't drop my pants for strangers....unless they are very cute.....


continuing on....


Quote:
And I wasn't the one to bring up Xmax and SPl. M was!


The first thread to bring up X-max was yours...You can call it linear excursion if it makes you happy...but we've been through that already....

Quote:
I feel like I'm back in school again.


Hopefully second time through will make things clearer for you.

Quote:
M. Your right. I am nuts. And this was guaranteed to turn into an argument as soon as you called me a freaking idiot. However, I really have no interest in trying to make you look like a fool, or rub your nose in it or anything. If I wanted to do that I would have replied to your post on CS.ORG.


Be my guest. you aren't rubbing my nose in anything. Prove me wrong and I'll be happy with it.

I'm not in these arguments to protect my "precious" standing. You'll notice I not only omited your name but the site as well. I have no interest in merging the two sites publicly. If you wanna sign up...by all means go for it.....

Quote:
So here's what we can do. I just created a new user name over there( didn't want my profile to influence this one way or the other) same user name as here. So why don't we take this over there, and see what the boys have to say? We can post EVERYTHING i said this time, and see if they agree or not.



Having the same name on multiple forums just makes it easier to find me that's all...why should I change names? I believe I'm right...so changing my name doesn't do anything for me. Like I said...give me solid proof....it's all I ask for...I'll be more than happy if you or the other guys tell me I'm wrong...just means I learned something new.....oh and I don't recall omiting any of your posts over there...so everything is there to the point where we lost interest in it...

_________________
LNLC Founding Member

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:48 pm
Posts: 19
Location: houston
OK. You win. It seems that all you want to do is argue about semantics, and selectively bring up spurious arguments to prove your point. You're going to disregard everything that I write because you can't let Xmax go. Please!

Grow up buddy. You never proved that anything I've said is wrong. Just because you don't know it, doesn't mean that it's wrong.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:59 am 
Offline
King of Pompous
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2001 4:22 pm
Posts: 5596
Location: Ottawa ONT.
scotch wrote:
OK. You win. It seems that all you want to do is argue about semantics, and selectively bring up spurious arguments to prove your point. You're going to disregard everything that I write because you can't let Xmax go. Please!

Grow up buddy. You never proved that anything I've said is wrong. Just because you don't know it, doesn't mean that it's wrong.


You are BY FAR the funniest guy on this forum.

Hope you have a great day :thumbsup:.

_________________
LNLC Founding Member

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:08 pm 
Offline
Suzuki Elder
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:47 pm
Posts: 11675
Location: columbus, ohio
we used laser interferometry to indicate the mechanical nodes in the cones of speakers, the points where the cone flexed and moved off plane with the rest of the cone's motion. surprisingly, cone flex isn't geometric and occurs at points on the cone and not in like concentric rings. at different frequencies the mechanical nodes of flexation will occur at different places on the cone.

and just to be clear, i'm not citing someone's work on this. i set up the equipment, ran the tests, and recorded the high speed photographic results on a nice broad range of drivers. i used everything from tandy corporation (radio shack) speakers to tannoy speakers, paper cones with whizzers to high tech (at the time) materials.

while i haven't done any in- depth research for the last 18 years and i don't have the resources of the largest contract research and development laboratory in the world at my disposal anymore, i'll leave all that stuff to you new kids.

_________________
1991 Blue Geo Metro Convertible highly modified 1.0L Turbo3 5 spd. - 1991 Red Geo Metro Convertible customized with a Twincam 5 spd.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:40 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:49 pm
Posts: 60
Location: salmon arm
i like my 6x9s hehehe that's all i know :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:19 am
Posts: 602
Location: Topeka, Ks.
Come on guys......Please.......In english..... if you don't mind so that people like me can understand what your sayin. LOL

Quote:
laser interferometry scan


Quote:
pistonic motion


Quote:
quasi- planar mechanical assembly


What is all that in english, Real simple terms if ya can. :lol:
Youngins like myself don't understand such big words. :lol:

I buy my speakers from Wallmart, If Wallmart has it.....it must be good. :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:19 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:39 pm
Posts: 68
Location: Red Deer, Canada
The worst part of it is, I started this topic and I havn't understood most of the 2 pages :lol:
well, that definatly wasn't what I was asking for but it was pretty funny :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:47 pm
Posts: 1543
Location: burlington,ontario
I think ill just keep with round speakers for the fact that they are eaisier to mount, round speaker goes in round hole no trying to cut out an oval.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:21 pm 
Offline
King of Pompous
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2001 4:22 pm
Posts: 5596
Location: Ottawa ONT.
garrick7 wrote:
The worst part of it is, I started this topic and I havn't understood most of the 2 pages :lol:
well, that definatly wasn't what I was asking for but it was pretty funny :lol:


I thought I answered you near the beginning of the thread?

_________________
LNLC Founding Member

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:39 pm
Posts: 68
Location: Red Deer, Canada
question was answered it was the technical gibberish (to me at least) that I couldn't understand. m don't get me wrong, I'm a noob in car audio, and can't understand the technical stuff, but thanks for your input on behalf of everyone,
Garrick


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:48 pm
Posts: 19
Location: houston
Just a little update for M.

Melynda is a MME from my lab Stork SWL.

After our argument a last year, she became convinced that the Thiele Small parameters had become out dated.

In our spare time STORK conducted research to determine if we could come up with any basis for the AES to reevaluate these parameters

After she presented this to the convention in Vienna on May 8 2007, The AES voted unanimously to ratify a new parameter research program.




An excerpt from technical letter 7162
Written by Melynda Thomas M. ME. Music Technology
Research done by STORK SWL Houston - Amsterdam


Read at the October 5-8, 2007 - AES 112nd Convention - Vienna, Austria

...It is important to understand that the T/S parameters are essentially linearized small signal values. An analysis based on them, is an idealized view of the behavior of a driver. In any case, the actual values of these parameters vary with drive level. Fs generally decreases as power level increases. Bl is generally maximum at rest, and drops as the voice coil approaches Xmax. Cms increases the farther the coil moves from rest. Re increases as the coil heats and the value will typically double by 270 °C, a point at which many voice coils are approaching (or have already reached) overheating failure.

The result of most of these level-dependent nonlinearities is distortion and lower than predicted output. The level shifts caused by these nonlinearities are often collectively called power compression. Design techniques which reduce nonlinearities will generally reduce both power compression and distortion. Sophisticated magnet or coil designs attempt to linearize Bl and reduce the value and modulation of Le. Larger, more linear spiders can increase the linear range of Cms, but the large signal values of Bl and Cms must be balanced to avoid a phenomenon called dynamic offset.

As a result, these static linear parameters are used to quantify a nonlinear mechanical device. We use radio-laser-refraction to measure off-axis reproduction as a way of filtering any coloring caused by an inordinate movement. The need to filter this means we have obviously overlooked a large quantification.

STORK and AES has proposed using RDR to measure the relative accuracy of a pistonic transducer as compared to the original signal in a oscillomodel. The equation can be expressed as RDR (radio-laser-refraction) - Ot (oscillomodel ran in WinDEs) = the difference; expressed in Ac (Linear accuracy). When measuring the linear irregularities of cone movement compared to the original source, we can measure the ability for any given motor to reproduce a signal accurately. This may be the most representational parameter when measuring a motor...




So... I want to thank you M. If you hadn't annoyed me with your childish arguments, I never would have brought this up at work. Melynda would never have driven us to come up with this technique. And we never would have made this connection.

So in a real way, you impacted the world of audio in a huge way.

Thanks for being a dick. :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:25 am 
Offline
King of Pompous
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2001 4:22 pm
Posts: 5596
Location: Ottawa ONT.
scotch wrote:
So... I want to thank you M. If you hadn't annoyed me with your childish arguments


I'm all butthurt by that comment :(


So this new method of obtaining speaker specs will only show xmax as the real quantitative measure? nm...I can't endure another argument like this :P.

_________________
LNLC Founding Member

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:58 am 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2003 4:16 am
Posts: 8042
Location: Ontario, Canada
It was nice of him to come back 8 months later to point out how wrong you were.
He may be an idiot, but at least hes dedicated to it :-P

_________________
Contact 3tech: g10pro@rocketmail.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:28 pm 
Offline
King of Pompous
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2001 4:22 pm
Posts: 5596
Location: Ottawa ONT.
suprf1y wrote:
It was nice of him to come back 8 months later to point out how wrong you were.
He may be an idiot, but at least hes dedicated to it :-P




Try 20 months...the thread is from march 06 :P.

_________________
LNLC Founding Member

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:59 am 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2003 4:16 am
Posts: 8042
Location: Ontario, Canada
Wow :shock:
Now thats a hardcore know it all.
I can't even touch that one

_________________
Contact 3tech: g10pro@rocketmail.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:55 pm
Posts: 119
Location: Houston, TX
On the topic of speaker shape, I would like to say that I've seen some really strange things that actually sounded really good.

I'm an audio engineer. Let me qualify that with a little more explanation. I take existing audio products and use them to design and operate sound systems for public events. I base my decisions on three parameters: Volume, clarity at required frequency range, and physical size. I'm not 1st in my field or sought after world-wide, but I get around and I see a lot of different situations.

I have walked into venues in all parts of the world and seen and heard things that satisfy my parameters just as well as round speakers or oval speakers.

I've seen octagonal speakers.
I've seen round speakers where the flat plane at the edge of the cone actually curved.
I've seen square speakers (not kickers, or at least not a kicker logo I could find).
And all of them worked great.
My favorites were a pair of 8x10 pieces of glass that a guy in San Antonio had come up with for "stealth" installs. You could put them over a pair of pictures in your living room and no one would know where your speakers were.

I may not be able to speak intelligently on Xmax or linear excursion or any of the other factors that go into component design, but as an end-user, I've seen enough to say that round isn't the only way to go...

Just my $0.02...[/code]


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:07 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:00 am
Posts: 89
typical texan, now im from australia, but i know what texans are like, they dont wanna be told they are wrong, I have met tourists from texas, and they are all the same.

_________________
Cheers
-Ben :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:13 am 
Offline
King of Pompous
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2001 4:22 pm
Posts: 5596
Location: Ottawa ONT.
ben23 wrote:
typical texan, now im from australia, but i know what texans are like, they dont wanna be told they are wrong, I have met tourists from texas, and they are all the same.



Lets not get into stereotypes here. Jump in the DB discussion at Redline and you'll see there are stubborn aussies too ;).

_________________
LNLC Founding Member

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:55 pm
Posts: 119
Location: Houston, TX
ben23 wrote:
typical texan, now im from australia, but i know what texans are like, they dont wanna be told they are wrong, I have met tourists from texas, and they are all the same.


Obviously, there are jerks everywhere that think they KNOW something. Come to Texas before you assume we're all like "scotch" or the tourists you've met.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 6x9s
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:15 pm
Posts: 36
Location: Tucson, AZ
haha about the whole Xmax and linear excursion thing. neither one is the sole most important thing for speakers. it is one of them though the cones surface area is also a big factor, cuz if the excursion is the only thing that matters then you are saying that a 4 inch speaker with lets say 2 inches of excursion is better than a 6.5 with less than half an inch. not saying there is a four inch speaker out there with 2 inches of excursion, i'm just putting in a way that can easily be seen that excursion is not the most important factor to making sound. :D


oh and if i'm wrong or you want to say anything back to me on the subject go ahead i'm always willing to learn.............and prove people wrong lol


and the guy that origonally posted trying to fit 6x9's in the front doors will be a pain go with 6.5's or 5.25's in the doors. depending on how deep they mount you will need speaker rings to space them from the window. stick the 6x9's in the back :) thats what i did and i got a little 10'' sub in the trunk it sounds great and plays loud.........thats all you care about right i mean you don't have super human ears or anything that can detect all the stuff they are talking about right........just buy some good quality speakers and you will be more than happy

Kevin


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 6x9s
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:50 pm 
Offline
King of Pompous
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2001 4:22 pm
Posts: 5596
Location: Ottawa ONT.
Well the post is from March 2006 so I think he's figured out what he's doing by now ;).

_________________
LNLC Founding Member

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 6x9s
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:15 pm
Posts: 36
Location: Tucson, AZ
haha true very true :oops: ..........the post was still fun to read lol


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group