TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:05 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:23 pm 
King of Pompous

What does it matter where I worked before? Does that somehow change the quality of my work or the scope of my knowledge? I do the odd job on the side as time allows and have a day job that actualy pays bills. 10-15 years ago there was probably 10 custom install shops here. Working from home I could do maybe 30 MDF enclosures a summer plus 2-3 fiberglass jobs. Now there is maybe 3 audio shops in the city that will attempt custom work here...and they do mostly performance work these days as opposed to audio. The next best place is in Montreal (2hrs away) or Toronto (5hrs away). For the $13 an hour you get paid around here its just not worth it for me to quit my current job. The last shop I worked at just closed its doors early this year after something like 60 years of business. Worked there for a few years before realizing that car audio just doesn't make money in Ottawa. Oh the name was Joe's Car Audio if your really that interested. Car audio is all but dead here and the demand for custom work (or people willing to pay more than $100 for a full fiberglass install) is pretty much non existant. I do pretty much only MDF enclosures in my spare time and thats maybe 1-2 a summer now that everybody is happy with prefab one note wonders.

Physics doesn't support that a thin enclosure won't work at all. All you get from physics is that the enclosure must be "dead" and not flex. Nowhere in there does it need to be a predetermined thickness. What I'm trying to say is that I could have something 1/8" thick and as long as it doesn't flex or resonate within the frequency range of the given driver (including 2nd & 3rd harmonics) or add harmonics to the sound its a moot point. At 1/4" thick and in a small spare tire well enclosure there is enough curves in there to make it plenty strong. If your really worried about it resonating add a brace to your enclosure. I haven't had to yet. It comes down to how its built. I've heard 1" MDF enclosures that sounded alarmingly hollow when you knocked on them. I can assure you that when you knock on one of my enlcosures you get a nice "thud" as opposed to a "knock".

Believe me, I know where your coming from. I started toying with making ultralight enclosures a long time ago just for my own curiosity's sake. I've gone through more resin that I care to admit learning how to optimize the strength to weight. Indeed a lot of enlcosures went straight to the trash and sounded horrible. I've done enough of them now to know what works. Little things I picked up during my trials and error made all the difference. Do I think all enclosures/sound systems are suited to ultralight enclosures? Absolutely not. They have their place along with the high dollar glass enclosures 4x the size that require a bit more meat to make them hold together.

Ritop is an instaler institute pioneered by a guy that goes by the name of Fishman Rivera...you may have heard of him. Mobile Dynamics is a 4-8 week course (depending on what you want to learn). As much as I'd love to take the course I'm not prepared to spend a few thousand on something that really won't be used where I am. I'll add you to my MSN...if your only reason to chat is to tell me I know nothing about this stuff and your name is in a magazine so that somehow makes you better than everybody else...please don't waste my time, I've grown out of pissing contests. If, however, you actualy want to discuss audio with an open mind...by all means...hit me up. I'm sure there is lots we can both learn from each other.

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:47 am 

new direction for discussion>>>>>>

I noticed your sig the first day I was on here.... and just recently, came across a book titled, appropriately enough, "The Grouchy Grammarian"

A great read if you're so inclined. I too, do nothing with the intent of fueling a directionless argument. In that endeavour, I welcome your opinions and will guard them as only that; as you, with mine.

I'm not here to say that because I went to school for a year it makes me better or more knowlegeable... or that because I've had the chance to work with some people that have real-time IASCA experience that I'm somehow going to win an SQ competition first go-around simply by virtue of the calibre of guidance i received in my training. I guess it's all just chalked up to experience and I know in most circles... that does indeed, count for a certain level of credibility in the person to have done their homewrok before juxtaposing facts against widely-accepted assumption.

Debate is a wonderful art, lost to many. Re-hashing a veritable "dead-horse" is not for me. I leave you to your views on enclosure engineering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:46 am 
King of Pompous

Just curious but what school has a year long course on audio systems and design? I thought the Mobile Dynamics course was very thourough and it was only 8 weeks. Well there is an IASCA competitor here I worked with for a couple of months...unfortunately there are no IASCA competitions here anymore so I guess it doesn't really amount to anything. For that matter even DB competitions are scarce here. Like I said... car audio is a dying industry here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:56 am 

M has an incredible amount of knowledge on audio and audio design. He has been helping people out on this board ever since I have been here (that has been almost 6 years now) and has proven himself to be of a great help to many, many members.

When someone has a question, he has an answer and if he doesn't he seems like the type of fellow who would research it for himself to help educate others.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2105148

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:40 pm 

Metropwr wrote:
M has an incredible amount of knowledge on audio and audio design.

Yep tought him everything i know lmao. Man is he ever gona reem on me for that one. lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:35 pm 
King of Pompous

jswift wrote:
Yep tought him everything I know lmao...about doing shoddy, incomplete, disastrous, and generaly terrible work

Fixed ;)

BTW...did you move the ground for your cell phone charger from the rear shock tower back to the front of the car where the charger is actualy located? You know...to that spot thats about 4 inches away from it and not 6 feet away?....goddamn GM apprentices....

:P:P:P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:13 pm 

Actually funny story bout that charger, i think i blew the fuse in the power wire cuz there isnt any power going to that thing now, mind you when i have that sub cranked i pretty much shake the car apart, those damn windows go nuts!!! You make one hell of a box that is for sure!! But yea im working on that charger. lol.