TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:49 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: ATOMIC subwoofer
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:13 am 

i have this sub but i dont know what model it is maybe you guys can help me . its a 18 " sub it looks like this one here

http://www.atomicspeakers.com/productin ... XX18D.html

or

http://www.atomicspeakers.com/productin ... PX18D.html

thats all that i could find on their web site but my sub doesen't have a magnet looking like that it looks like this

http://www.sounddomain.com/ride/413747

thats not my car but my sub look 100 % same as that guys i have no idea what model number i have becasuse i cant find it no where on the internet is this maybe a custom made one ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:42 am 
King of Pompous

I don't think Atomic was making custom drivers but they have gone through a few motor changes in the past coupld of years so you may just not have the current model and thus have a differnt magnet stack. I'm pretty sure the quad coiled versions haven't been out in a while either. Any pics of your sub?

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:41 pm 

i don't have any pics at the moment of it but will soon take some it is a APX and holds 16 000 W and it is a dual coil that i have ... can you tell me what would be a good box/port size for this one subwoofer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:58 am 
King of Pompous

Bass wrote:
i don't have any pics at the moment of it but will soon take some it is a APX and holds 16 000 W and it is a dual coil that i have ... can you tell me what would be a good box/port size for this one subwoofer

Really depends what you want to do with it. If your going for all out SPL your gonna need to do a lot of experimentation with different enclosures and figure out your car's resonant frequency. I believe I put an SPL article in the stereo FAQ section. If you are, on the other hand, just going with a daily setup that gets terribly loud then your gonna be looking at a ported enclosure and a lot of power. The 16,000W figure while accurate isn't an RMS rating BTW....it's what the sub will take for SPL burps. Can't remember off hand what the APX series took RMS...but it was still an aweful lot. Let us know a bit more what your goals are and then we can guide you a bit more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:47 pm 

well its just for a daily use how does 6.0cf with 40 square inch port area by 12 inch depth for daily sound

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:02 am 
King of Pompous

Not on my puter with my design software...what's the tunning of that enclosure? 6 cubes seems a little small for a large displacement 18 though. What do you listen too? Your musical/volume tastes will largely determine where to tune at.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 3:03 pm 

the tunning is around 35hz i listen to trance dance dance stuff like that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 12:49 am 
King of Pompous

Yeah should be decent for output. I'm currently running a single 12 tuned around 35Hz and it works very well with Infected Mushrooms and the like....

Post subject: Re: ATOMIC subwoofer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:32 pm 

alright i have done some mesurments and the box size that i can fit in the trunk is 23 inches long X 37 inches wide and 15 inches high ( 23x37x15) this is external measurments for the box. I was thinking of using plywood so that its not as heavy or should i use MDF ? I'm thinking 35-40 htz tune. Can you tell me what would be the port size and how deep as it needs to be runed to the box not the sub.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:34 pm 

imo the sub u got wont be very satisfying for the type of music u listen to

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:12 pm 

how is it you figure that a ported 18 tuned to 35Hz won't be good for trance?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:30 pm 

alright so, 23x37x15 works out to be 7.38 cubic feet, this is from the external measurements, i still have to see which type of wood i ll be getting, then measure the box internal and recalculate, so im guessing it will be just under 7 ft^3 with this maybe i can do a 35 hertz with 14 inch high and 3 inch wide and 6.35 inch deep port size will tune the box to 35 htz . do you guys think this would be alright. like i say i ll have to recalculate all this as i still have to see which type of wood i ll get

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:17 pm 

bump

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:13 pm 
King of Pompous

If you're going to build it from plywood you need to make sure that its low void or marine grade. You will also have to use a lot of bracing to make sure there isn't any flex. Plywood is great to save weight but it doesn't have the density that MDF has so extra care and planning needs to be done to ensure that the enclosure is "dead". If you use MDF you still need to brace but you can get away with a little less due to its higher density. Its going to weigh a lot more though.

Your port length looks about right for a 35Hz tune. 7 cubes ought to give you some deep bass output too. Its been a few years since I've looked at that sub so I'll say I think it will work well for what you want to do. Only reason I say "think" is because a lot of the Atomic subs were built to get hella loud with little regard to sound quality. It could end up sounding like a one note sub if its been designed to be used as a one note sub. I'm pretty sure that the APX was a little in between though. Got real loud but sounded decent too.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:24 pm 

It took you 3 years to take that measurement lol?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:04 am 

Is it possible to connecta computer subwoofer to a phillips home theatre system? The type of computer subwoofer is CREATIVE and the model for the phillips home theatre system is HTS3544. Is it possible because my original subwoofer doesnt work?

Last edited by joena on Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:29 am 
King of Pompous

Start a new thread instead of posting in another one that has nothing to do with what you're asking please. You can probably do it though.