TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:22 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: newb speaker question(s)
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:53 am 

Ok, I'll admit up front right now: I am not a stereo guy at all. I can install the stuff (well, the easier stuff anyways), but actually understanding anything for selecting speakers is totally lost on me. I blew the stock speakers this week (only two semi-work now :roll: ), so I am looking at picking up some new ones. Essentially, I would like to put the speakers in the stock locations (front dash, rear hatch) on my turbo firefly. EVENTUALLY I may look at getting a sub (my buddy has a really good setup thats really crisp that hit 134.5 db's during a competition that he just wanted to have fun at, but the main thing is its CRISP). I like my soound quality, not quantity. So what I am trying to get at, what would be the best bang for the buck speakers to put in the stock location? I can spend a max of $200cdn on them. It would appear that the Boston Acoustics S45 4" are really popular to install in the front. Anything for the rear? From my understanding I also would want coaxial speakers, correct? I do not mind cutting the hatch or front dash to get speakers to fit, so fly away with suggestions. I will be running them off of a sony xplode deck (rated at 50w x 4, which I understand isn't the case, more like 20rms x 4 correct?)

Edit-
Well, mabye I'm retarded, but I still have the receipt and 30 days to return the speakers I bought. For $212cdn I purchased a set of Kenwood speakers (4" front, 5.25" rear). Model number KFC-1079ie (4") and KFC-1379ie (5.25"). These are an older model, but there is no difference between these ones and the newer ones except for a big price jump, and the newer ones are rated at 10watts higher peak. The 5.25's have 35watts of rated power (150 peak) while the 4's have 20watts of rated power (100 peak). I think I did ok (it seemed I was talking to someone who knew what she was talking about).

Edit Again-
AFAIK, these speakers are from the Excellon lineup, and even m said they were decent. Hmmm.....

You have a girlfriend? :shock:

HiTemp Inc. ....... taking over the world one Sprint Turbo and Swift GTi at a time.

Chassis Flex Motorsports

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:51 pm 
King of Pompous

When did I say Excellon were good? They are...but I'm curious to how far back the post must have been :P.

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:41 am 

A good couple of years ago ;) But I do not believe them to be from the Excellon lineup after some research, so my bad. I would assume that sound quality doesn't change over time, so if they sounded good then would they not sound good now? :D

You have a girlfriend? :shock:

HiTemp Inc. ....... taking over the world one Sprint Turbo and Swift GTi at a time.

Chassis Flex Motorsports

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:36 pm 

I'm a home stereo guy, but I really like Infinity reference series, for a real budget setup. You should be able to get them cheap, and they sound good.