TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:02 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New speakers in a Mark 5
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:17 am 

I've always wanted to upgrade the speakers in my '98 Metro, but the original ones were okay and I just never got around to it. Stock head unit (fantastic FM reception), FM modulator connected 10 disc changer, and a 200 watt subwoofer cannon. Cheap but functional, other than being hard pressed to be heard over my ridiculous exhaust sound. One of the door speakers blew out last month, a physical failure as it was rattling along with the engine and bumps, completely out of synch with the sound it was being fed from the head unit. Anyway, I went on to Crutchfield's website and decided on Infinity Reference Series 6012si. Went ahead and bought four for $199.98 including connector cables and shipping. I should have done this five years ago. It took me about three hours to install them, but I scrubbed the door panels, greased the latch and window linkages and hinges, checked to make sure the drain holes were open, generally just checked everything you would need to go inside a door for while I was there. The wires were about four inches too short for the door speakers, but a simple rerouting of the wire provided enough slack. They fit perfectly in the stock locations using the original screws and grills front and rear. They sound fantastic, much crisper, and deliver a much higher output before they sound strained. They're a little bass shy, but I've got the subwoofer, so that's not a problem. I'm not sure if the Mark 4 has the same mounting in the doors, but if you've got a '98 or newer car, just get some high efficiency 6.5 inch speakers and pop them in.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be the name of a convenience store, not a government agency

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:24 am 
Teamswift Street Pharmacist

I plan on investing in Infinity Perfect set of speakers next time I have to buy a set, about the same price as yours. In my mk4 I had no trouble fitting the speakers, but the doors panels arent that solid so as soon as I jack up the sound a bit it starts shaking and I didn't take the time to insulate the doors but I get that with some foam I could do it...