TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:24 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: my new system!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:49 pm 

Well, after buying and installing the Kenwood speakers for my car, I figured I was done with the stereo system. Boy was I wrong! My sister and her boyfriend/my good friend decided to buy me a 10" Kicker Comp (just the comp model) sub w/ a bassworx box for my birthday (nice low profile one, fits partially under my rear strut bar). So then I had to go amp shopping. I ended up buying a Rockford Fosgate amp that is rated for 150w rms at 4 ohms (the "testing" done by Rockford shows it is good for 200w rms at 4 ohms in perfect conditions). It is also 2 ohm stable at around 250w rms, should I ever decide to go to a better 10" sub like the Kicker CVR. While the system is quite cobbled together with different brand names, it hits quite hard and is a stupid CRISP setup.

Free sony deck that originally didn't work:

Kenwood 4" coaxial speakers in the front:

Kenwood 5 1/4" coaxial speakers in the rear:

Proper placement of sub once MDF is cut and finished for the rear:

Nice place for the amp, huh?:

All of the wiring is hidden, along with the amp. Next up in upgrades (if I have enough money due to school) is a very high end kenwood deck/LCD screen to be installed.

You have a girlfriend? :shock:

HiTemp Inc. ....... taking over the world one Sprint Turbo and Swift GTi at a time.

Chassis Flex Motorsports

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:07 am 
King of Pompous

Is that amp fan cooled? You don't want to mount amps upside down...heat rises and when they are upside down that heat rises up into the internal components and away from the heatsink. looks like a great sysem otherwise :thumbsup:

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:10 am 

Turn your box 180 ̊ If you can, it will hit harder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:13 am 
King of Pompous

tbirdscott wrote:
Turn your box 180 ̊ If you can, it will hit harder.

I think you mean 90 ;).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:17 am 

Quote:
Is that amp fan cooled? You don't want to mount amps upside down...heat rises and when they are upside down that heat rises up into the internal components and away from the heatsink. looks like a great sysem otherwise

I'll have to check it out m, I assumed that it wouldn't be too big of a deal (there is alot of air down in that spare tire well).

The box can be rotated quite easily if need be... atm, I am really not worried about it hitting any harder then it does. Everybody looks for whats making the noise when I pull up :lol:

HiTemp Inc. ....... taking over the world one Sprint Turbo and Swift GTi at a time.

Chassis Flex Motorsports

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:17 pm 
'zuki addict

I recokon you should get some grills or some speaker cloth to cover those hole you cut, would make for a very smooth finish, holes do look a little rough :lol: out of sight out of mind!

http://www.bdmotorsports.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:42 am 

I'm working on it, as the holes are VERY rough :lol:

Chassis Flex Motorsports

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:38 am 

Placement of an amp on a box isnt the best, as no matter how tight it is attached, the vibrations will work it lose, and with it other componints inide the amp. Also, once it comes off, you will have holes in your box (that is, if you were really serious about attaching the amp to the box to stop vibrations).

Other than that, it looks nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:58 am 
King of Pompous

Never had an amp come loose from mounting it to an enclosure. The enclosure should be the least likely to vibrate out of almost everything in the car.

Post subject: off the wall question?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:59 pm 

Ok quik maybe easy question. How many db's does it take to make your vision blur? I notice at night if i look at stop lights for more than a sec they seem to vibrate. I never had my car put on the db meter. The subs are sealed and firing towards the back of the car theres about 1ft. between the box and the back of the car in a 98 hatchback pushing every bit off 500rms 1000max to each speaker. Can anyone guess what im hitting around i have the deck low pass filter off cause its only 80,120,180hz selectable and i like to drop the bottom off of the subs the amps are set at 60hz and i have 6db of bass bost on the amps i believe it bost around 45hz and i also run the subsonic filter at 30hz not to waste energy in heat but to get sound instead of heat. Well everyone take a hit and let me know your opinions. thanks! One day i'll make it to a shop and test this thing and let you guys know. ohya for you guys that don't know the eclipse 8812 dvc 12's and mrd-m605 alpine mono channel amps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:08 am 
King of Pompous

Your vision can blur at 80db's with the right frequencies. There is absolutely no way to accurately guess what your hitting. Even if we knew the resonant frequencies and all that jazz you just can't realisticaly predict it. I'll guess between 100 and 135 though.

On a side note...you were asking about a sound quality setup for your subs and your amp settings are possibly among the worst possible for anything remotely close to SQ. Turn your bass boost off...run your subsonic down to 20Hz...and put your crossover frequency to 80Hz and then start lowering it until you like it. Your 6db of bass boost is ruining your output at all other frequencies.

Post subject: your right
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:37 am 

Yeah your right about the sq. thats exactly where i have it 15hz subsonic 78 hz crossed over on the amps and 80hz on the deck with the bass -1 turned to 70hz its an alpine deck this thing does everything. thats where i keep it for sq but sometimes i get a nack for ear ring heart pounding throat tingly wake up the neighbors big bass i think u get the drift. lol so i crank the sub woofer output on the deck up and turn the gain on the amps up and tap the bass bost up a few notches and well the you go sq goes away but the damn subs pound there ass off and still pretty damn clean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:21 am 

that setup makes me ill...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:24 pm 
Suzuki Elder

reparsky, you're a thread jacker.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

Post subject: what does that mean
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:49 am 

ok T3 what does a thread jacker mean

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:59 am 
King of Pompous

Means you highjacked the thread :P

Post subject: ok
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:37 pm 

ok thanks m Sorry didnt mean to highjack or take over the thread! I know alot but theres alot i still am learning and thank god theres some awsome supportive knowlidgable people that are dedicated here and love to help one another. thanks to everyone. I'm still new in here but you guys are still pretty cool with me.friendly bunch of car dudes and well dudets too but not sure if theres any women in here though that are members?