TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:57 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:55 pm 
King of Pompous

You now have a new benchmark....161db @ 16Hz...no its not a typo and its not only on a termlab it was recorded by Wayne Harris himself. The link was finaly posted up yesterday.

Please keep the "they did it wrong" comments to yourselves...we all know that a higher frequency would have caused more problems lol. Go to this weeks update and find mythbusters (wed 8.16.06). Interesting nonetheless.

http://realmofexcursion.com/videos.html

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:25 pm 

That video is wild.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2105148

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:25 am 
Suzuki Elder

they forgot to use a spider to control the movement of the cone at the bottom and center. the cone lost it's pistonic motion and killed the surround.

still 16 hz @ 161 dB - that is freakin' amazing. :shock:

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:26 am 
King of Pompous

Well a spider would only have helped if they could have made the shaft more linear :P. I can well imagine what it would have been capable of had they spent a few more days building it though :drools:.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:33 pm 
Suzuki Elder

it was only a test (designed for failure but a test non-the less.)

they should have spent more time sealing the car since they were going for destruction power. the sunroof was really poor planning. the one guy remaked that the sound pressure had broken the sunroof linkage but in fact, i saw the speaker cone tip to the side then come up with a direct shot to the sunroof at least 2 times.

having had time to re-think their project i believe that i would have run a cam lobe and follower on that type of simple, single plane suspension. that would be mechanically superior to the crank and rod mechanism for controlling linear motion driving the center of the cone.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:05 pm 

pretty crap score for 10,000+ watts of power :p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:51 pm 
Suzuki Elder

is that a guess or did you actually try to crunch the numbers? :D even the guy running the termlab gear didn't know what the power should be.

just being able to reproduce a measureable output of 116 dB at 16 hz is awesome. isn't that below low C? about the only thing that can do that (to a lesser degree of output) is a pipe organ in an environment with excellent acoustical coupling.

if only they had controlled the yaw in the driver cone..... :roll:

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:36 pm 

Quote:
You clearly have no idea of what it takes to do 161db...let alone on a termlab...let alone at 16Hz Rolling Eyes.

:? in that situation, 170dBs should have been possible!!!

they have a "woofer" thats probably displacing 1/4 of the total cabin volume, being driven by an engine, thats going to easily be doing 10kw or more, even at the lowish revs they were running it at...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:08 am 
King of Pompous

What happened to my post? Doesn't matter how it was driven... Try and take a conventional subwoofer or ten and get them to do that number. It simply won't happen. The displacement of the sub while incredible wasn't even linear. Had they kept it together and ran it at a higher frequency I have no doubt that it would have hit a 70 or more. Even if the score was at 25Hz it would have been an amazing feat. 16hz is something that won't be matched any time soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:16 pm 

I think if you seal the roof the numbers would have been much better, well until the car blew out somewhere else. Those numbers ae extremely impressive considering the car was not braced up.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2105148

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:53 am 
Sad but True...

ok,I just watched it and Laughed histericly(sp?). #1. Ol'e Wayne seen a Sub,bigger than that. The look on his face wasnt of "OMG That is the biggest thing I have ever seen". 2. remember the test was to blow up the car,not record the loudest Db. so if the "sub"was built correctly,and there was no sunroof, there wouldve been a good chance the front/rear window seals would've gave out. 3rd.Look at the size of the "sub",if you built a sub as big as that(a real one) you could play 16Hz and not harm it,providing that it is built right. I remember a guy who modded my Alpine many years ago,did a article in Auto Sound & Security and he built a SPL van.He made a "pipe organ"style chambered enclosure and he was able to play that low of a note and actually shake things in the auditorium. I would not call it a world record since it isnt a "conventional" sub.Termlab is HARD to hit on.They stiffened it up alot in the years.I was able to do OVER 150Db with LESS than a true 500 watts of power,and to hit that 161 Db with a stiff Mic,even with that setup is kinda neat.It may send companies back to the drawing board to do something like that,,,,,,again.

If my Swift was as fast as Tg or m's car I'd be famous...
My car is a trailer queen 'cause it's too slow to merge safely into traffic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:49 pm 

I watched the Myth Busters episode yesterday. They should have made a track rail to keep the verticle movement under control. There was too much horizontal shift. A shaft with bearings could have moved within the track. The top of the shaft would hook to the base of the cone, while the bottom of the shaft would hook to their connecting rod on that attaches to the cog on the cars drive shaft. Although I felt the cone itself was pretty awesome, the install itself was rather crude. The baffle was weak as well and wasn't properly sealed to keep forward and rearward waves from cancellation. I felt even after sending their research guy to the actual stereo competitions he didnt use enough information learned in the application of this project. They obviously didn't tear apart an actual speaker to see how all of the components worked together. If I was to do this project, I would have used two cog wheels in conjunction with two connecting rods to than drive the above track system I descibed. This would allow you to change the direction of the motion. I would than seal a baffle in the standard location across the B pillars of the car and mount the cone forward firing. That way you could properly load the front cabin of the car. Under these circumstances you should be able to get the cabin pressure well over 170db. A cone that large with that much excursion? Think about it! With no reinforcements to the vehicle itself that would yield significant damage to the welds and seam joints- not to mention window glass. If you noticed Wayne Harris's expression when he looked at the car, it was obvious he knew the construction was very shoddy. He was on film and was trying to be nice because of all the effort they put into the project. Overall, I personally am dissapointed because they didnt use any electronic equipment to do the experiment. I understand they wanted to do the entire project themselves, but they would have greatly benefitted from consulting someone in the industry. The biggest accomplishment I could see was the fact that they wasted what looked like a well running mercedes.