TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:22 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:45 pm 

Ok guys, It's been awhile. My mid's and high's up front are, MB Quartz's pce216 there 6 1/2" components. In the rear r alpine type R 6 1/2" coxial's. The mid's and high's are powerd by a 4 channel alpine mvd-f345 amp. I'm getting around 50 watts rms to each speaker which is plenty loud for the very effiecent MB's. For the bass are 2 eclipse 12" subs in a sealed 2.5 sq ft box with a devider. I beleive there 8812 model numbers,and 500 watts rms 1000 max a piece. Each sub is powered by a alpine mvd-m605 amp. Rated at 600 watts rms 1200 max at 2ohms with 14.4volts. Now what I had in mind was to swap out the subs for some newer better subs, Such as the mtx 9500's or the alpine type x or maybe some jl w7's. I wated to stay with a sealed box for SQ, knowing that porting 2 subs will give me about 3db's per sub which is almost twice as loud to the human ear i dont think its worth the sacrafise to be stuck at a sertain tuned port frequecy! Correct me if im wrong about the db gains with the porting. Also another option is to go with the titanuim sereis Eclipse, I'm really happy with the SQ depth and overall handling of these subs i have, its just my amps r 1/2 ways up with only 2 notches up on the bass gain. These amps have so much more to give and I don't want to hold them back anymore,So my option is new subs! Just need some feed back on which ones you guys think will suit. Never messed with 15's heard the SQ wasnt as good as a 12, bigger woofer mass equalls loud but more mass equalls more wofer cone flex to add destortion. Right? ok let me have it tell me what you think i should do? It's a 98 chevy 3cyl. metro by the way lol helps if you new what it was.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:05 pm 
King of Pompous

I'll be breif and give you a more specific answer later :P.

Some of the best speakers in the world use a ported design. I can't think of a single PA speaker (the ones used in live performances like the ones we are trying to recreate in our vehicles) that is a sealed enclosure. Ported enclosures can most certainly be used for SQ purposes. the trick is tunning it to the speaker and car its in. Some speakers will undoubtedly sound better sealed if they are designed to but ported certainly opens up the output department. Depnding on the sub and how you tune you can gain more than 3db. Your subs are stting in a 1.25^ enclosure each? You must have lost a lot of low end like that. Now if you want some serious output sealed your gonna need a lot of power and likely a larger enclosure....

You have two amps capable of a minimum of 1200W to a maximum of 2400W...you didn't state the subs impedance so I have no idea where there at. I say capable because while the amps can do it...the electrical system of the Swift cannot. Going to more power won't help unless you can figure out how to get more amps from the alternator (don't believe the alternator guy...he can't get you more than 80A tops from the standard case) in your car or go to a new one...big money to be implemented properly.

15's with no SQ huh? Ever hear of the B&W Nautilus? it uses a 15...granted it cost more than your car by a good margin ;). Without getting into it too deeply your theory of mass is misplaced. Check out the mass of the Ti's and you'll see that its not necessarily a bad thing but it does lower the sensitivity of the sub...a reason why Ti pros need a boatload of power. I have the same issues with my DEI SX12. More mass also does not mean the cone flexes more.

So...if it were me...I would try a new enclosure. Any sub you use will want something bigger than what you got. Bigger enclosure = more efficient system = louder with the same equipment you have. I like ported enclosure and tunning depends on the music you want to listen to and the subwoofer's capabilities. I have used everything from a 6.5" to a pair of 18's and everything in between along with almost every type of enclosure. My favorite is ported.

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:19 pm 

Quote:
i dont think its worth the sacrafise to be stuck at a sertain tuned port frequecy!

You don't understand what porting is all about.

Post subject: more info
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:09 am 

The subs are dual 4ohm's i have each amp droped to 2ohms the amps are capable of only 2ohms and produce 600 watts rms each. I always go with rms because thats the real power for what i been told the max is a music burst such as a 70hz sign wave burst for 2 secs for a spl reading.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:07 pm 
King of Pompous

I know that they can do the power (1200W) RMS but I'm just stating that the stock electrical system won't. IMO you should make a ported enclosure for the tqwo subs and give them the power. It can make a HUGE difference to the sound and is most certainly acceptable in a SQ setup.

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.

Post subject: ok
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:52 pm 

So what kind of alt. do you recomend i dont know what the stock putts out, maybe 55 amps or so if i where to up grade i only found one alt. its a denso, factory upgrade alt. It puts out a wooping 175amps and cost a mear fortune $780 american. I dont have a shop to drill and cut and fab brackets or mounts for say a 105amp gm alt out of a suv or something. ohya here ya go guys http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/ An awsome online car stereo shop very low prices. alpine type x sub is like 500 in crutchfield plus shiping. In there its 278 with free shiping the 9500 mtx is like $100 cheaper i compared prices and found that this is the place. even camparable if not cheaper than e-bay! Now thats a wow. Ok now on with the porting. The subs come with a recomended sheet that gives different sizes and different freq. for that size. They specify only sealed boxes between .75 and 1.25^ well it is a small box sub theratically big boxes to a certain extent will be louder butwith these subs and also say alpine type x and solobarics by kicker which are desined for small boxes will they benifit from a bigger sealed box or ported box