TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:37 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 2 amps 1 dvc sub
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:05 pm 

Ok heres another one for u bass heads! Has anyone had experience in running a dual voice coil sub with 2 amps? 1 amp per voice coil. Had a crazzy Idea of building a 2.5-3ft^ ported box for a stroker 15 or a orion h2 12 or maybe even one of those galiath's by hifonics. Ok guy tell me whats up and what you think

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:13 pm 
King of Pompous

You have to level match the amps perfectly or you will ultimately pop the sub. Can be done but most people elect to get a bigger single channel amp or get a pair of amps that can be strapped together for more power.

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:11 am 

yeah i agree with oldmate!!!
you have to make sure that the two amps are tuned exactly the same... or one voice coil will over ride the other and like oldmate saud potentially pop the sub... or damage it in some way!!!
so its better to get one bigger amp!!! probably cheaper too!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:38 am 

the amplifiers dont have to be matched at all...

if the signals being fed to the sub are both in phase, then tehre's no chance of damaging it at all...

BUT, you wont get the best performance unless they are matched...

but like I said, it doesn't matter if they are completely mismatched, as it wont make any difference...

its no different to powering one coil, and not powering the other one... :p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:00 am 
King of Pompous

When I say levels I mean all levels. While gains aren't the biggest issue the crossovers need to be or you run into a slew of phasing issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:19 am 

m wrote:
When I say levels I mean all levels. While gains aren't the biggest issue the crossovers need to be or you run into a slew of phasing issues.

yeah, I dont think the crossover is even going to be that critical...

I've known people to run a stereo input to a DVC woofer before, with no issues...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:59 am 
Suzuki Elder

for what it's worth, chuckwagon runs 2 monoblock 1000 watt rms home audio amps into a single 15" kove t3 armageddon in a 15 cubic foot ported enclosure. with a thousand watts on each 2 ohm voice coil (and he has run it wide open for me several times) he hasn't had any issues.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:59 am 
King of Pompous

when you change crossover points or slopes you affect phase (its mostly with the slopes of course). Not saying it can't be done but its jusat prudent to level match everything. DVC's IIRC were originaly introduced in the HT market because amps did not have sub-outs and it was easier to wire your stereo channels through a DVC passive and then to a pair of satelites. Level matching makes sense for the simple reason that your likely going to be trying to pump more power through the driver (or why would you need two amps) for more volume. It's like setting levels on a one amp system...but you can't really call that level matching.

Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:59 pm 

thanks for all the advice! So what kinda numbers should i exspect from the kove 15 if i where to decide on that. I would like to try and break the 150db mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:08 pm 
Suzuki Elder

kove won a lot of national spl titles and the t3 isn't for the faint of heart. it's monstrous. a 15" takes a huge ported box (on the order of 7 cubic feet) and huge amps (on the order of a thousand watts rms per voice coil at 2 ohms) to do it any justice.

the 15" t3 armageddon weighs over 50 pounds and is deeper than it is wide. the triple stacked magnet is as big as my 8" nakamichi subs.

this image is no longer available

kove audio along with their sister company hart audio were purchased by u.s. amps over 6 months ago and the new stock has dried up. it's sort of difficult to find a t3, people who know what they are tend to snatch them up.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II