TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:59 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2001 10:33 pm 
Hey,<br>Part 1<br>I know that din and ISO are different measurements for the headunit(maybe they're the same though). Anyways i've got a sony CDX-M750 headunit(normal size) Is this iso or din or what? I am looking for a H/U kit to cover the gaping hole that will be left from the (double DIN???) radio i am removing.<br><br>Part 2<br>I have done reading (little) on capacitors. I like the idea of a storage between the alt and amps to cover the requested high power peaks in the music. Is the cap just a glorified (small) battery. Or is it something special (i mean other than digital display and uranium coated posts and neon lights blah,blah). I was thinking that i have some small rectangle shaped batteries (gel cells) physical size maybe 4-5" long, 12V but i don't know the amps. High enough to run handicap lifts when power shuts off though. Can i wire this in between the amp and alt? Any opinions/info anyone has is greatly appreciated. <p></p><i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2001 11:09 am 

I bought my capacitors at an electrical wholesaler for 15 bucks each! no digital dispaly or anything just chrome!!!!! FOR 15 BUCKS!!!!!!!!!! The voltages etc where all the same as the 200 dollar ones from the stereo shop. They do make a difference if you "listen" to music. <p>aka LoBase1989 Suzuki swift GTi1968 Rambler Rogue </p><i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2001 12:48 pm 
King of Pompous

Well the capacitor isn't a battery. What it does is store power and releases it much faster than a battery. When that big bass burp comes along your amp asks for a big burst of power. The battery can't release it that fast so the cap unloads to the amp. Also the capacitors also stabilize the voltage going to the amp. Beware though, adding capacitors to your system puts more of a load on your alternator. If your headlights are already dimming from bass it's not likely that the cap will fix that. A cap shouldn't be used to crutch a weak electrical system. Oh, and what amxdreamer said is absolutely true. You don't need to speand $300 bucks on a cap. The cheap ones work just as well. <p></p><i></i>