TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:46 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: DYNAMAT ALTERNATIVE
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:52 pm 
aka. Lord Ditz

Anyone use this product before?

A lot of bro's in other forums are saying this stuff is just as good as the real dynomat. LOL, for the 13 bux, i'm going to go pick up a roll this weekend.

just hit the link and put in zip 98101

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... 5&pad=true

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:14 am 

Im not sure what that is..... but if it is some kind of butyl rubber with an adhesive backing it will probably help.

My brother just got done sound deadning his whole truck with some generic dynamat alternative. Id say if its cheap enough that you can afford to cover your whole car with it, you will probably notice a difference. Dynamat is Way overpriced. And thats coming from someone thats been doing car audio for almost 8 years. I will use up like 200 dollars of that stuff and still have a rattle problem. People expect a big difference for a couple hundred dollars and it just doesnt happen.

Id say, go for as much generic Dynamat alternative as you can afford. Dynamat is just a name!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:36 am 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

see my review on the grace ice & water shield (same stuff, wider roll) ...
not worth it on our cars really, it works, but it's relatively thin and doesn't do much compared to the weight gain. some self expanding foam or fiberglass insulation might work better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:43 pm 
aka. Lord Ditz

n1tr0 wrote:
see my review on the grace ice & water shield (same stuff, wider roll) ...

I'll try and dig this post up. If the stuff is cheap enough, i'll give it a try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:00 pm 
abby normal

Another thing that works on noise deadning is to use 1/2 inch thick backpacking foam, glued to the floor of the car
under the carpet. The foam is closed cell so it dosen't mildew, and is very light. To do a MK2 metro cost $30
2 rolls foam and 1 can 3m sprayglue. The foam is made to be used as a camping mattress. Size is 24x72.
I also glued strips of the foam to the inner sides of the metal door panels. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:38 pm 

My wife and I purchased a Dynomat alternative after extensive internet research.
It is called Second Skin Audio Damplifier and seems to withstand the heat here in the Southwestern U.S. better than any product on the market.
The Lowe's product will work, but you must be careful not to let the car get too hot.
I am not connected with their company, but for your ease of browsing:

http://www.secondskinaudio.com/

We are not finished with our project, so cannot comment fully on our results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:40 am 

Just a couple of days ago I bought a gallon of latex roof patch and mixed it with play ground sand. It works good and is cheap.

If you would like more of a paste I am sure you can find a finer grade sand. I wonder if even cement may work and help it to dry faster.

Just mix it together until it is thick but still sticky.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2105148

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:07 pm 
King of Pompous

There are a few alternatives to Dynamat. Second Skin gets good reviews from almost everybody who uses it. There is a product a little lesser known called Brown Bread. Supposed to work just as good as Dynamat but the adhesive isn't quite as good (people I heard this from lived in Arizona so the heat there may have been a contributing factor) but its much cheaper than dynamat. There is a product called B-Quiet that seems to garner good reviews as well. I know a couple of guys on other forums have used peel n seal before and had decent results as well. It seems that the cheaper stuff just doesn't stick as well (some say they don't have the stench of dynamat either) as the pricier stuff which on things like doors/roofs/trunks can be pretty important.

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:25 am 

I used peel and seal before. I had no luck with vertical surfaces. It would stick for a little while and then fall off. It worked good when it stuck though.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2105148

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:07 am 

Another alternative (one I used anyway) is to use neoprean (scuba suits). you can buy it from Gates (same company that makes our rad hoses) I comes in a 4'X4' roll. It is a little heavy but works great. You will need come kind of contact cement to stick it to the car but its worth it.

pre install (h-way) 65dB
post install (h-way) 43db
. . . thats without the radio on folks (quieter ride)
p.s. I did the inners of the door panels, wheel wells, trunk, floor and roof

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:24 am 

Metropwr wrote:
I used peel and seal before. I had no luck with vertical surfaces. It would stick for a little while and then fall off. It worked good when it stuck though.

Use a heat gun on it as you apply it - makes it bond much better to vertical surfaces and odd shaped areas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:31 am 
'zuki addict

m wrote:
There are a few alternatives to Dynamat. There is a product a little lesser known called Brown Bread.

MM Brown bread in Australia, has no adhesive backing, and you have to apply your own spray on adhesive.

Another cheaper to alternative to Dynamat is http://www.gspotperformance.com/ , postage will be a killer thou!

I've used a few type of sound deadening, and Dynamat is still the best, easy to apply, no smell, good weight, proven to work. Its worth spending those extra few dollars. I've spent $1000+ sound deadening my front doors with Dynamat mat, focal sound tiles and g-spot performance paint. No speakers in yet, but i know it will sound amazing!

http://www.bdmotorsports.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:18 pm 
King of Pompous

Hertz wrote:
MM Brown bread in Australia, has no adhesive backing, and you have to apply your own spray on adhesive.

Must be something different. The one I'm talking about has an adhesive backing.

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:14 am 
'zuki addict

m wrote:
Hertz wrote:

Must be something different. The one I'm talking about has an adhesive backing.

Nope it was definitely brown bread, jaycar electronics used to sell it. But this is going back many years, and it isn't in there catalogue anymore. It used to be quite thick, and was made of a dense felt type material. Seems brown bread sell the same product as Dynamat now, just did a quick google, and found the products you were talking out.

http://www.bdmotorsports.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:44 pm 

i use a product called hushmat at work, they supply all the major auto manafactures with there sound deadening for cars before they roll of the production line. very easy to use: no heat required, will stick to almost anything, even sticks over dirt, so nice thing is you dont have to prep panels that you are deadening, great stuff in my opinion