TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:32 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: new stereo.....
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:32 am 

i'm lookin into buying a new stereo, the only thing i'm not sure on is this.... well i listen to alot of bass, just mainly bass. so i was wondering what is the max wattage that i can put in the car w/out having to upgrade my alternator... oh yeah, i'm hoping i could go w/a comp series sub.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:31 pm 
King of Pompous

Depends on the amp itself. Shot in the dark would say don't go over 3-400 watts and you'll be OK...I ran an amp that could output over 2kw and got away with it for 6 months...depends on the amp/user and how often you have everything maxed. What kind of budget are you planning on and what do you want as far as a system...oh...and what do you consider bass? Hip Hop or Bass Mekanik type music thats all test tones?

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:58 am 

alot of both, hip hop and bass mekanik style. i'm thinking i'll have about 450 usd to spend on it. a lil while ago i traded a friend for a 1k watt app for a 600, but that is too big. so ok, 3-400 watts.. i was looking into MTX i'm not that into stereos so all the help i could get would be great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:19 pm 
King of Pompous

You can use the 600W amp (assuming its a true 600W and not a peak value) no problem just lower the gains on it and you'll be golden. As for subs that will depend on what ohm load your amp makes the most power and how much space you can give up for an enclosure. My preference has always been 15's but good 12's make a lot of noise. You'll probably want a ported enclosure tuned somewhere around 30Hz. As a rough guestimate expect to lose 1.5-2 cubes of space for a 12 and 2-3 cubes for a 15 and most 10's will usualy need between 1-2 cubes of space for the enclosure. If you go sealed you will lose output and the enclosure sizes will be much smaller.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:09 pm 

sweet, thanks for the help.... i'v talked to a few ppl about it and i couldn't get that straight of an answer from them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:31 pm 

While we are in the subject, I have a SUB Pionner of 10"developing 120 Watts RMS and 500 Watts peak and I would like to know if I could make it function to the maximum without having to change machine elements of my car like the alternator.

I would like to also know if it would be a good idea to make pass my wire of power supply of the amplifier under the vehicle with fasteners and to insert it by the hole of the spare tire in the trunk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:55 pm 
King of Pompous

Your electrical system will be fine. Match your amp to the RMS figure...on some subs you can go a bit higher. For your sub I wouldn't run more than 150WRMS through it. Rather than fasten the power wire under the car wand make unecessary holes I'd just run it inside the car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:57 am 

:D thank you for your help man...I,m glad to know that I can run my sub wihtout having to change something in the electrical system. I think that passing the wire inside the car is to much trouble so I will do my idea and I'll see how it goes after a certain time

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:16 am 
King of Pompous

I find it hard to see how running a wire through a provided grommet can be more difficult than running under the car. Protecting the wire from the elements should be priority number. You can run a wire from front to back of a Swift/Metro (MKII/MKIII) in about 15mins and its all secured under the carpet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:40 am 

I understands your idea but I do not want to destroy the interior of my car which is as new right to pass a cable... I have a Mk4/Mk5 '97 Geo Metro.

My idea was to make pass the cable under the vehicle with the other cable which are protected by plates of metal or if not, I had also thought of attaching it with tie wrap far from the muffler and make it enter by a hole which is already made just below the spare tire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:29 pm 

chevymetro wrote:
I understands your idea but I do not want to destroy the interior of my car which is as new right to pass a cable... I have a Mk4/Mk5 '97 Geo Metro.

My idea was to make pass the cable under the vehicle with the other cable which are protected by plates of metal or if not, I had also thought of attaching it with tie wrap far from the muffler and make it enter by a hole which is already made just below the spare tire.

Do not do that...run it through the grommet or nothin...I have seen cars go on fire because they were wired incorrectly...through doors etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:34 am 

thank you, I will see what I can do with what I have

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:38 am 

finally, I installed my kit and i done what you've said and it's so good to hear lol I should have done this before