TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:43 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:25 am 
#1 in locked posts

Just wondering who remembers these and if anyone has parts lying around?

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:09 am 
King of Pompous

Even when ODR first came out parts were rare becasue of the cost. I have heard of a few going on Egay for somewhat cheap (for ODR) prices. A few months ago there was some guy selling an XES deck and some speakers. XES is a Sony product...but i think I would put it above the ODR system....of course at nearly 5x the price...it should be :P.

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:25 am 
#1 in locked posts

Well I've listened to both in very high quality environments and I'd put the ODR well above the Sony stuff (amps being the only drawback).

I ask because I am looking for parts for my ODR system.

BTW what did the Sony stuff retail for? IIRC ODR went for around $30,000 for the "basic" professional instaliation (been quite awhile though, :razz: )

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:53 am 
King of Pompous

The Sony system was around $20k if you went with bare bones. Then you had to have it tuned by XES dealers of which IIRC there was maybe 3-4 in California at the time. Not sure how you managed to hear one of the XES cars...there was only a handful made in a couple of Ferraris sent to Europe and for some reason Sony didn't even use the full XES system in their demo cars. The first XES car was made in an Audi IIRC and it was used for a few magazine articles before they ultimatly sold it to some rich guy (I have to assume he was rich to be able to afford it). Earl Zausmer used an XES headunit in his famous BMW and won roughly 90% of the SQ competitions it was entered in. Now I don't follow competition anymore but I'm pretty sure that that record hasn't been beaten yet.

One of the first ODR systems was made in a CRX Si for competition in the IASCA circuit. ODR head unit went to the ODR processor then to amps. There was a pair or ODR 6.5 drivers per door and three 10's in the back. The owner used compression drivers under the dash and had them wired with pure silver cable. I forget how many awards it won (it was many) but it was probably the most well known ODR equipped vehicle of that time. I can only ercall of a few other vehicles that went with the complete ODR system...no idea what happened to them.

Because you could use seperate components with the ODR setup there are a few more partial systems around than the Sony which you had to buy all or nothing. Interestingly Sony eventualy started allowing the sale of seperate components (mainly the Z50[?] headunit) to presumably get rid of remaining stock (since nobody was building the full systems) in their warehouse. Currently ODR is still alive and well in Europe (no idea on pricing) but not sure where its at in the states.

I'm a diehard Sony hater...ask anybody....but they have the technology to hands down beat Pioneer (and probably anybody else) into the ground with their sound systems if they so desire. The antique c90 deck is still sought after by many enthusiast for its incredible sound quality and the fact that it was pretty much designed to be modded by anybody skilled in electronics. Its sad that the stuff they nowadays is absolute crap. At least pioneer still makes good stuff and doesn't have to come out with something like the ODR just to show people that they can make something to die for...that seems to be Sony's game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:18 am 
King of Pompous

Just thought i'd mention that the above post is going by info that I remember from a long time ago so it may no longer be 100% accurate. I did a quick google on the systems and don't see anything that shows much change....basicaly near impossble to find any complete XES or ODR systems...just bits and pieces here and there. It looks like XES may have been used on a lower line as I don't recognize a few of the amps that people are claiming to be XES equipment. looks like some of the ODR stuff changed quite a bit in the last 10 years too....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:16 am 

I have listened to both and they function pretty well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:29 am 

I had the pleasure/agony of installing an XES H.U. and changer in a 4-Runner. It was owned by Chris Marco, who worked as a Sony Rep for many years... had to use a relocationcable and mould the faceplate into the over head. The thing that blew me away was the weight of the changer.... about 10-12 pounds!... that and I got to use a laptop and a tape measure to setup the deck!