TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:37 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 1985 Pontiac Firefly
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:11 pm 

I need sound!! When I bought the car it just had that small 4 inch speaker in the dash and that was blown. I would like to know good locations for speakers that don't require a whole lot of wireing or cutting(I'm very new to this sort of thing). Also I'd like to add that I'm not a millionare and that I would like to keep the price of things reasonable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:49 am 

First thing thing i did in my old swift was get some pioneer upgrades. They make a really nice 4inch speakers which will directly replace your stock ones. Easy installation and much better sound. Not sure how well they would work with stock radio, but a definfite upgrade, 79bucks for 4 of them when they go on sale at CT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:56 am 

Yeah but I've heard that you don't really get alot of sound from 4inchers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:19 pm 
King of Pompous

You don't get much sound from 4" speakers...but your not going to fit anything else in the car without cutting or routing wires. You might be able to get a set of 6.5" speakers into a kick pod (down by your feet) and that wouldn't require any cutting at all. If your car is manual though there may not be enough room.

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:35 pm 

M, always trying to upsell on those 6.5" pods. haha. If you upgrade your deck, even to a cheap one, and upgrade speaker wires you can have fairly decent sound. I have 4 4" speakers in my car right now along with an upgraded deck and i like how they sound. They can't keep up with my 6x9's but they were pretty loud with my 6x9s off. If you want you can drive to ottawa and i can let you hear how they sound. haha. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:34 am 
King of Pompous

Hmmm...why would I drive to Ottawa when I can just get you to come to my place to set your amp again for you? :P I'll get you to listen to a nice set of 6.5's when I get them into my car. Won't be for a while because this snow is putting me into a depression and I probably won't venture out to the garage for another week or so ;).

The 4" sounds decent yes...but your missin a whole lot of the sound from what you will get from a 6.5. Even a decent deck upgrade isn't going to do much for a 4" speaker. It will likely sound cleaner because it has a tweeter attached to it but you won't be getting any frequencies under 200Hz very effectively.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:11 pm 

Haha, actually i was talking about Winchester coming down to listen to them, but if you want i'll take a drive down and let you hear them haha. lol. Yea the snow sux, won't stop coming down!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:16 pm 

I don't have a stock head unit. I have a KOSS MS2002. I also took the rear speakers out of my moms ford contour and temporarly hooked them up. They sound alright (alot better than the old one). I realize now that in order to put decent speakers in some cutting will be required. What is the easiest spot to install speakers for a beginer?

Maybe I will stop by lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:59 pm 
King of Pompous

If yuo do kick pods (the speakers mount in the front corner of the floor) you may not have to cut. In the MKII and up you need to fiberglass a bit but if the MKI is more square you may not even need to do that. If the 4" speakers are on the top portion of the dash see if you can shoehorn a 5.25" speaker in there. Might need to trim a bit to do but if you can its well worth it and should be a healthy jump in sound quality. If you can get rid of the Koss deck and get something a little more high end (even Pioneer's entry level gear is leaps and bounds better IMO) you should see some improvement. If you take your car to Ottawa take it to the guy that is doing the sub enclosure for jswift's car...I hear he's pretty good ;).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:39 pm 

Hahaha Yea that guy is good, he's a little sketchy but does good work. jk lol :rollin:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:15 am 

mate, you have a Mk1, you HAVE 4" speaker mounting points in the front doors, on both the trim and the inner door panel itself, running the wiring thru the pillar to the door is a little tricky but easy

water protection is now what u have to worry about, me, i tried gluing a plastic hood over the back of the speaker but it vibrates with each bass note and is realy annoying so im just gonna take my chances.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:22 am 

i got an 86.... do this:

if you can't get a "nose-picker"(wire-feeder with spring-loaded claw)
then use a coat hanger.

Pull the door panel. For this you need a window crank clip remover or a angled pick and a phillips screwdriver and a panel-popper

Pull the door panel off using the popper so that you don't damage the panel and all the plastic clips come off around the edge.

flip the panel over onto a flat surface. Remove the useless map pockets.
Looking at the back of the panel you should see the knockout for mounting a coaxial speaker.

Flip the panel back over so you can see the vinyl:taking a fresh exacto blade, and the window crank and the speaker grill for the speaker you want to use(I had a set of OEM 04 Civic 6's lying around/very shallow)

Trace out with a felt(Sharpie) the inside of the grill ring. Set aside. Trim off the vinyl with the blade.
Use a jugsaw or airsaw and cut out your hole

The window crank is used to make sure it will clear when the speaker is mounted. Common mistake.

Press the panel back on the door and mark with the sharpie where you'll need to trim the metal. If you have an airsaw, great... If not, aviation snips will do in a pinch.

Once the hole is cut, you'll need to run some wires into the car. The jamb of the door has a plastic knockout. You can pop this off and either use a hole punch or a drill bit. The door has only a thin plastic flap over where the wire should go through.

Make sure the window is going to clear the wire and that you leave enough slack so that the window won't bind on it on the way down and yank the wires off the back of your speaker.

Wiring from the door to the car is easier. Trust me on this. When feeding the wire into the car, it's a bit of a contortion, but using the "nose-picker" helps immensely. (Once you've seen Total Recall, you know what I mean)
Once you've got the length of wire into the car, the rest is really a no-brainer.

Points to consider when buying speakers:

Do I need "rings" to extend the speaker so that the magnet won't hit the window?

If I'm not using rings, will the speaker clear?

If I'm installing components, I should mount the crossover inside the car high in the kickpanels under the dash, and run 2 sets of wires into the car so that servicing them is easier?

I should use some Dynamat or similar sound deadening material to help the speaker perform it's best. just a square around the speaker mounting location will do. The circle you cut out can go inside the door on the doorskin.

Enjoy better sound! 8)