TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:00 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:47 am 

These are seeing duty as main speakers in a surround system in my sunroom.
Kind of a waste, but I've moved on to other projects for my main system.
What I should do is pull the drivers, and use them in another project.
The woofer is a discontinued 170mm Audax, and Audax Ti composite dome tweeter.
If you're thinking of building some TL's, and looking for info, let me know.

The drivers
the vent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:52 pm 
King of Pompous

suprf1y wrote:
and Audax Ti composite dome tweeter.

Ewwww...harsh metal tweets when everybody knows that silk sounds better :P.

no im not serious but you'll get a rise from it anyways

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:10 pm 

The tweeters? I thought you were going to nail me on that amp beside them :-P
Started experimenting with the full rangers yesterday.
It took a while to get used to the sound, but they sure are impressive little units.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:46 pm 
King of Pompous

suprf1y wrote:
Started experimenting with the full rangers yesterday.
It took a while to get used to the sound, but they sure are impressive little units.

Are you using Fostex? I suppose I could have bugged you about the amp but some of the older stuff out there is still quite impressive even by todays standards...that being said I use a solid state Marantz HT receiver :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:59 am 

I still love tubes over solid state. I want to build a 15W stereo push-pull EL84 amp.

I am thinking about experimenting with a rear loaded horn line array instead of my current line array setup. I think the bass could definitely be improved over the current setup. 15W will drive those arrays quite loud. They only see a couple of watts right now and they get loud.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2105148

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:28 pm 
King of Pompous

I use an IB for bass and its the most ridiculous subwoofer setup I've owned...and the design lends itself well to audiophiles because of the low power requirements and low distortion.

I have a solid state receiver and absolutely love it but then again I've never really liked "warm" sound. I don't think there are many (if any) 100W x 7 tube receivers anyways :P.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:10 pm 

What's 100Wx7 mean? :lol:

I still love 2 channels better than anything else. It's easy to fill a room full of sound with speakers everywhere. Try to do the same with 2 channels and it becomes a whole lot harder.

What I like about tube amps is that they lend themselves wells to ESLs. From what I remember they have better clarity in the upper frequencies. It's hard to say anymore, though.

The last time I heard tubes was a few years ago, before my ears had developed. Now when I hear stereos and other systems I can hear alot more detail and almost all of the time something just doesn't sound right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:06 pm 
King of Pompous

I agree its harder to fill the room with proper staging with 2 speakers but the other 5 are only used for home theater duties. I've often thought about building my own floor standers but I really do like the sound of the 1st gen Athenas. I think deep down the problem is I know what I want for a floor standing speaker but the means to build them just isn't there. I may measure out the Athena enclosures and rebuild them as needed to fit some Scan Speak Revelators in them...but its a lot of money to do that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:01 pm 

Quote:
Are you using Fostex?

I'm using these Adire audio/Canadian sound solutions WR125S.
The FR is the full range, and the WR is the wide range, and rolls off above 15k
I had them set up for a day in one room, and a few hours in another.
I didn't notice a lack of high frequency with the WR, but did find them to be a little more truthful than what I'm used to.
If you're listening to suspect source material, you find out in a hurry. Theres very little colouration.
My NAD has always sounded real good, but when moving from room to room, I switched from the Marchand to the NAD. The difference was huge (like it should be). I've never noticed it like that with any speaker before.
The whole FR thing takes some getting used to.
Maybe over the holidays I'll try them in a ported cabinet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:17 pm 

Well,

There used to be a old saying for Bose in factory systems. Then it was changed to a newer updated saying.

First saying: "Bose Blows"

Second saying: "No highs, No lows, Must be Bose".

I sat in a 2008 Diesel Chevy and it had a factory Bose system. It's still very crappy. Sheesh Had no lows and crappy highs. And to think the dealers/factorys are calling this premium sound. Utterly garbage!

Bose makes nice computer speakers and decent home speakers. What the hell happened to their auto systems. They got the neighbor kid building their auto line or what? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:42 pm 
King of Pompous

Everything i've heard from Bose has been crap IMHO. That goes for home systems to car audio. Now granted the car audio is much worse than the home stuff...but I wouldn't put a free set of Bose speakers in the house to listen to either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:48 pm 

m wrote:
Everything i've heard from Bose has been crap IMHO. That goes for home systems to car audio. Now granted the car audio is much worse than the home stuff...but I wouldn't put a free set of Bose speakers in the house to listen to either.

I haven't listened to any "Bose" home stuff since the Bose 901's some 20 years ago. I didn't buy those I just listened to them at the store. They sounded ok considering the enviroment they were in. I opted for Pioneer speakers back then and Nikko Receiver with amp built in. Were talking the late 70's now not current stuff. I remember Carver and Cerwin Vega were pretty hot stuff then. I still got a set of Cerwin Vega's I listen to. I also have a nice set of Polk Speakers R/T 600 I listen to. R/T stands for reference theater and they are connected to my entertainment center. Now if you have ever heard Electrostatic speakers they are truly amazing with room filling sound. Magnolia Hi-Fi sells them here and they cost roughly $15,000.00 just for the speakers. So it all depends on your budget I guess.

So I have lost touch with Bose completely in the home market. I have heard the computer systems with Bose. Notebooks sound terrible and external speakers for computers are pretty good. So any notebook with bose speakers are absolutely horrible. My notebook is a Sony NVR-23 and it has a subwoofer. Absolutely the best sounding laptop I have ever heard with built in speakers. Litterly raises the bar on audio in a laptop. I have played it for others and they are totally amazed. Incredible sound for sure.

But as M says Bose pretty much is just crap now in everything except desktop radio (wave radio) and computer speakers. IMHO as well.

Last edited by Vert Guy on Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:58 pm 

If you want to read about electrostatic speakers here is a link.
http://www.soundlab-speakers.com/faq.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:20 pm 

Speaking of ESLs, I heard a set of Martin Logans the other day at Best Buy and they didn't sound to good. They sounded inconsistent and very directional.

Maybe they were set up poorly in the room. With ESLs you have to be careful of where the back of the panel is pointing or else they will color the sound coming from the front of the panel.

I want to build a line array rear loaded horn, does anyone have any opinions on that? I have 8 cheap 4"x6" car speakers and 21 Onkyo 3/4" tweeters a side. I don't have any specs on the 4"x6"s. I want to build a box that is about 6' tall, so the line array covers between 2'6" and 6'.

Can anyone offer any design considerations?

What is the difference between a taper-line transmission line and a rear loaded horn? They seem very similar in design. Is it that the horn has a throat and the taper-line doesn't?