TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:56 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:24 pm 

I go to the shop to get my speakers installed. They told me $50 to do the install, so I was figuring ok they were look, I'm retarded puffing some smoke up my arse and it was gonna be 100 to do all 4 speakers and string the wire. They then informed me that it was $120 to do all 4 speakers and the wire. I was like meh, then they told me that because the new speakers were over size they'd have to do all this custom reinforcing, and because the magnets were heavy they'd have to install supports for the magnets.

Price rocketed to $400.00 and just to string the the wire to the 4 spots was $120. I almost lost my temper but I was just like w/e and told em I'll get my car back.

I can testify that Audio Warehouse in Regina is sleazy and crooked, and expected that I wouldn't know shite. I wasn't sure, but I shot down every excuse they had for jacking my cost 800%, and the guy was just like uhhh uhhhhh.... the installer said... I told him to stuff it and I'll take my car back.

So what is so difficult about mounting four 6.5" rounds into a 98 Suzuki? The speakers are JBL P651Ses and according to crutchfield they only need to use the included adaptor bracket to install.

J. McBean: '98 Suzuki Swift 1.3L 16v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk5" Made in Canada
The Mini Rattler: '94 Suzuki Swift .993L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk3" Made in Canada *The Winter Beater*
B. Berry: '90 Chevrolet Turbo Sprint 1.0L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk2" Made in Japan

I got 18MPG in a 3cyl with a 5 speed manual 4dr, '93 Metro! :yeahyeah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:41 pm 

and so what did you end up by doing driving away without paying or paying the full price ?

2000 Firefly 1.3 SOHC 16VALVE AUTO. Goals: full restoration, achieve stock MPG and HP or higher, finished look should be 'stealthy' and unassuming. Engine will need to be rebuilt later on to restore compression levels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:05 pm 
King of Pompous

haven't seeing one in person I can't say for 100% but having installed a lot of speakers I have yet to see one that needed substantial bracing to hold it in a door. I can see a shop charging the $120 to send wring to the 4 spots but $400 is absolutely outrageous IMO.

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:32 pm 

1995Firefly4dr wrote:
and so what did you end up by doing driving away without paying or paying the full price ?

They informed me of the price, I tried to reason with them, and when they slipped and told me the $120 is to install the 4 speakers, and run the wires. Then I said oh so it's that much? He said "Nope, the installer wants atleast 360 or 380 to install the speakers." So I said not worth it, since I can do it myself and told em to put my speakers and wire back in the car on the seat and I'd be in to get the car.

Damn bugger just said nope I want this much to do an hour of work on your car. Grr...

M, I've had the car interior apart, and I even have a second set of grills and the adaptor plates are predrilled to fit the stock mounts, the JBLs are maybe 2 or 3mm taller than the blaupunkt's, that are currently in there.

I'm just pissed that they handed me bs reasons to jack the price. I'm still wondering how a $40 wire install price becomes $120 and includes mounting 4 speakers, when they weren't going to touch the bloody speakers(there are only 2 right now).

I wonder how many other people they've pulled this bait and switch crap with. I tried to bring it up when I went into the store and this lady automatically went into I'm a stupid chick and I dunno nothing mode. So tomorrow I'm going in to have a chat with the management. I bent my schedule, missed classes, spent money on a taxi, and blew most of the day stuck waiting because they didn't know when they'd get to my car. :roll:

So i figure if some joe bloe smloe is worth $400 an hour just cuz he thinks he's the shit, I wonder how they'll feel when they see my bill for $1200 because I'm a college educated mechanic and fully certified IT goon, my hours must be worth atleast as much as his, and I deserve proper compensation for them wasting my time. :twisted:

The Mini Rattler: '94 Suzuki Swift .993L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk3" Made in Canada *The Winter Beater*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:20 pm 
King of Pompous

well at the shop I worked in it was $49 per pair which is pretty standard here. If I had to add brackets it would be another $20-$30 and if they had to be custom made it would be a little more. Not saying that this is the case with your car but $120 to run wire for 4 speakers isn't unreasonable...$400 is ridiculous though.

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:20 am 

m wrote:
well at the shop I worked in it was $49 per pair which is pretty standard here. If I had to add brackets it would be another $20-$30 and if they had to be custom made it would be a little more. Not saying that this is the case with your car but $120 to run wire for 4 speakers isn't unreasonable...$400 is ridiculous though.

I had no problem with $120.00 to do it all. I supplied all the hardware, I supplied all the wire.

I took issue when he told me just to run the wire it would cost me $120.00, then told me $120.00 is what they normally charge for the whole install, and then said no the installer said it's gonna cost 3x that for him to even "try". Then tried to feed me nice sounding but stupid excuses, like the speakers are too heavy, the speakers are too long. Umm... Ok the Punkts in there have a mount depth of 2 1/16", the JBLs have a mount depth of 1 13/16", if the Blau are in there right now...

He just said "The installer says..." I cut him off and said not worth it, I'll take the car back.

They tossed the speakers into the back seat, and did nothing but take a look and see oh hey these are 6.5's instead of the lil 5 1/4 that normally are used.

Grr...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:41 am 

as much as I hate dealing with big stores I'd be going to best buy if I didn't have the time to do my own set up. The marketing company I work for currently has me at a Best Buy and I've gone over to see how the guys actualy do it. I mean they don't cut too many corners and their prices are standard by pair, wire and deck.

Sadly enough, stock for now

Sorry if there are any spelling mistakes.
I try to spell check all posts, but I am not a dictionary.
If you must comment on my grammar, ensure that you are perfect, and then do so politely.
Cette façon la vous ne détachez pas comme un espèce de connard. Thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:04 pm 

hussey_graham wrote:
as much as I hate dealing with big stores I'd be going to best buy if I didn't have the time to do my own set up. The marketing company I work for currently has me at a Best Buy and I've gone over to see how the guys actualy do it. I mean they don't cut too many corners and their prices are standard by pair, wire and deck.

I will definantly drop by and have an ask. Thanks for the reccomendation. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:02 pm 

They qouted me $105 to do all the work, and made time for me on the 12th, then told me they needed to be pre-paid so I said ok, after I checked around and they were the cheapest and eveyone else wouldn't be able to get me in until just before new years or after. :lol:

I tried out the p652 they had on display, god they have them wired badly, after I shut off the amp, subs and rear speakers. They sound amazing... before I went about tinkering they sounded like shite, the 3 way pioneers were better sounding, so don't trust those sound boards lol.