TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:44 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:15 pm 

tackfully keeping in mind not everone is rolling in piles of spare cash there's still a need to build.

So when it comes to my 91 vert build I want some sound; not bleeding ears but clean sound for those time you want to embarass your kids and 'rock out' in the driveway in front of all thier friends. A deck and amp are a questions for another time.

When it come to speakers though I have to use what's availble. I just need to know that it will work.

I have on hand a computer speaker setup (a Logitech THX system) w/ a blown amp, bass and speakers. The salvaged speakers are rated at 8ohm 15 watt and are somewhat smaller that existing the 5 1/4" are10ohm in the front and 4 ohm in the rear.

I know the Logitech system was sufficiently loud for our tastes when it was hooked up on the a houseboat for 3 staight days before it the amp blew :drunk: . The sprint was however... lacking.

Anybody can take parts off the shelf. Who wants to setup and make the impracticble happen ie. can these speakers be used in car audio.

'Noisy Cricket' build thread http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=46988

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:21 pm 
King of Pompous

Nice to see Logitech is using quality drivers in their systems. Tang Bands are a very good company...

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:33 pm 

I suppose it's a good thing that it was the amp that blew and not the speakers. Gives me a little confidence. Is there anything that can be used to cover the speakers to keep out moisture. Believe it or not I'd heard someone mention a 'Bounce" dryer sheet somewhere. Apparently repells water quite well.

'Noisy Cricket' build thread http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=46988

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:27 pm 

if your putting these inside your sprint you should be fine they will hook up just cut off the connecters for the stock speakers then solder or w.e you want to do to conect the wires black is the (-) i had tower speaker speakers in my sprint when my 6x9's blew and they were actually REALLY good lol whoda thogught but for water proofing i wouldnt worry about it if its going inside your car (unless it leaks really bad) but really a pair of 4" pioneer speakers at walmart is about 50 bux and they arent even that bad and there quite cheap

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:54 am 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

My only concern with those speakers is that they're 8 ohm. Nearly all car audio equipment expects to be driving 4 ohm speakers. My own setup consists of boxed rear channel surround sound speakers (which are 4 ohm) being driven by a Pioneer headunit.

maybe a picture Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:44 am 

Lihtan wrote:
My only concern with those speakers is that they're 8 ohm. Nearly all car audio equipment expects to be driving 4 ohm speakers. My own setup consists of boxed rear channel surround sound speakers (which are 4 ohm) being driven by a Pioneer headunit.

Just run 2 of them in parallel for 4 ohm load, Id do front and back together. But it might well work at 8 ohms too if your powering them with an amp. They just won't see as much power.
BTW I have the same crappy stock paper speakers, and they say 10ohms on the back... WTF! 10 ohms?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:35 pm 

Did you ever get these speakers to work? When I replaced my stockers teh factory AM/FM reciever could not power them :( So I put the stock speakers back in. Ic an't figure out how to remove the AM/FM radio in my 91. Factory Service Manual does not have directions other than (Remove Radio)...

I used plumbers tape to recess the new speakers in factory locations so the grills would go back on. I'm ready to put in a new CD player but Ic ant get the damn factory HU out!

It appears you have the same 10ohm factory speakers. I wanna know if you ever got this to work. Mounting the logitecs shoudl cost under $5, just pickup some plumbers tape...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:34 am 

I'm waiting till after paint to reinstall the interior so I don't know yet. However I will be using an aftermarket reciever, one of my son's old amps and 'big 3' upgrade so hopefully it'll have the power to drive them.

As far as your reciever I believe there is a bolt behind that attaches directly to a firewall mount somewhere. I believe I had to get in from underneath the dash (by removing all the cigarette and storage pieces) to get at it. Even then it was a PITA. One of the stereo lads will have better info or insight into this for you though....

If nothing on this site (which would suprise me as its good info model specific) there are thousands of other sites that deal with this kind of stuff specifically and it make good reference material too.

Last edited by incorrigible on Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:22 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:54 am 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

Justintoxicated wrote:
..Ic an't figure out how to remove the AM/FM radio in my 91. Factory Service Manual does not have directions other than (Remove Radio)...

...'m ready to put in a new CD player but Ic ant get the damn factory HU out!..

I can't really remember the exact steps of pulling a stereo from a MK2, but I'm pretty sure you might need to remove the ashtray, the metal ashtray carrier, and the climate control bezel. Most of these parts have screwheads facing downwards towards the floorpan. Sometimes the headunit has a grounding strap that needs to be disconnected from behind.

maybe a picture Thanks