TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:03 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 1:56 pm 

Hey guys,

Well having a good ear is a bad thing some days, turns out that my head unit is shot. Seems even after rewiring the whole car, from speakers back to reciever, the rear speakers sound like they are pushing through mud, I can have either the fronts going or the rears going, but all 4 channels results in the rears producing garballed horribleness. The only wiring I have left to change is the power leads into the unit itself, but I don't think that would cause this.

The head unit in there is an older JVC arsenal unit from the late 90's so it's time for it's replacement I guess.

I was thinking about getting a JVC Arsenal KD-AHD39 seems to be getting good reviews from what I can see, and 2 years of warranty is pretty spiffy. I don't need a wiring harness as JVC is pretty good about telling you what wires go where and there is already a harness kit in there for the current JVC.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-t3RhRwY9U3 ... 105KDAHD39

It's not available from any dealers at all in Canada, so I have to pull it from the states.

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Oh and as for specs:

Quote:
Car CD Player with built-in MOS-FET Amplifier
50 watts Peak power / 20 watts RMS x 4 Channel
WMA/MP3 Playback on regular CDs and CD-R/RW
ID3 and CD-TEXT Readout
7 Band iEQ Equalizer
Detachable Fateplate
Built-in HD Radio Tuner with Multicasting
Three 5V Preamp outputs
Front auxiliary input
Subwoofer Level Control
iPodĀ® & Satellite Radio Ready
DiAS Digital FM/AM Tuner
CEA-2006 compliant amplifier
Steering wheel control ready
CD Changer Controls
Wireless Remote Control

J. McBean: '98 Suzuki Swift 1.3L 16v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk5" Made in Canada
The Mini Rattler: '94 Suzuki Swift .993L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk3" Made in Canada *The Winter Beater*
B. Berry: '90 Chevrolet Turbo Sprint 1.0L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk2" Made in Japan

I got 18MPG in a 3cyl with a 5 speed manual 4dr, '93 Metro! :yeahyeah

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:51 am 

Well, I would get a harness just in case because even though they are both JVC, the plug could change, happen with my radio, Pioneer just like my dads just a 2 years newer and the plug change. The sounds you describe most likely is from the radio itself that the channels have gone bad. The same thing happens when you have a amp. Also, the old radio that you have, Does it look something close to the one you are going to get?

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 12:30 pm 

JVC Seems to make good stuff. I had a entry-level JVC deck in my truck for several years and it worked great. My wife's Hyundai has a second-gen El Kameleon JVC deck from 1998 and it is just barely starting to get tired now. So, I think that the Arsenal deck would be a good investment. 5v preamp outputs is a good characteristic.

The only other deck I would recommend is the Clarion DXz-575USB

http://www.clarion.com/us/en/products/2007/audio/source_unit/CD/DXZ575USB/us-en-product-pf_1165294998447.html

It ups the ante to 6volt preamp outputs and has a USB input for playing MP3 audio from a pocketdrive or some MP3 players. I'm not a huge fan of the blockier "button" style control face. I think the JVC looks nicer with the knob style. But the features are a bit better.

be well and good luck.
-jd

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 12:57 pm 

a1989swift:

Yes the are very similiar in looks, this one just lets you slip in cds without having to drop the face plate. The new unit should come with a harness that shouldn't be too hard to adapt to the wiring, so no buying any adapter plugs.

Jack Daniels:

The current model of that Clarion unit is: DXZ785USB http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/ ... 5684&avf=N

It just seems to get drifted by the JVC unit, lower RMS output, lower signal to noise ratio, etc. It does have a few plusses though, the display is superior, it has usb port, it's tuner is slightly more sensitive, 9dbf vs 9.3dbf, but the JVC does HD radio and a fancy digital tuner system that eliminates alot of noise and is better at keeping stereo with a weaker signal.

It's a good unit if your running an external amp, but for me, 5v(JVC) vs 5.8v(Clarion) just isn't enough difference, ecspecially considering right now I will be using the recievers built in amp. You are also right, I do prefer the looks of the JVC as well, although the Clarion does have the fancy LCD display. :lol:

The Mini Rattler: '94 Suzuki Swift .993L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk3" Made in Canada *The Winter Beater*

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:18 am 

lol, I like the JVC over a Clarion anyday. I don't know which model this one is:
But they use it alot for cars for sound competions overhere and all the scooter that have music use it also. I wonder why. :huh:

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:45 pm 

That's a KD-G300

:mrgreen:

My old ass, lousy JVC sounds really nice, wonder how it'll sound after I "upgrade" it. 8)

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:20 pm 

Pretty sweet. 8)