TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:26 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:47 pm 

Hi I want to replace the HU in my 1991 Geo Metro LSI. it has a single din AM?FM radio thats not even stereo...

I can't seem to find a company that makes an install kit for it! Metra only advises me to use the universal kit will this work? or is it junk?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:33 pm 

perhaps an install kit is not needed (accordinng to crutchfield). but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the factory radio out without breaking stuff. I searched the FAQ and my interior is NOT like the 92.

Any help appreciated. Thanks! have a new Bluetooth radio I'm wanting to install.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:04 am 

Well i got teh CD player but I still can not figure out how to put the CD Player in :(.

How the hell does the dash Bezel come off! I can't believe this car has me stumped :(

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:44 am 

If the metro and swift are clones....On my 91 Swift there are two Screws just under the Heat/air controls pointing up and they are tough to see unless you look up from below, the bottom is where you should pull or pry gently(just above the Ash tray) and wiggle it loose. also remove the knobs or ends of the heat, fan, duct levers and there is a light in the bezel for the a/c, so watch out for it, the bezel is held by tabs at the top above the a/c ducts and it must be lifted out from the bottom first and the tabs should slide down and out once you get it near horizontal.

I hope that this helps, I have not seen a 91 metro, so I dont know if they are the same as the swift.
Good luck!

I find it is best to drive using the 3 X 1 rule!:
1 Foot on Gas, 1 Hand on Wheel, 1 Finger out the window.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:25 pm 

I found those 2 screws but I still can't get the CD player out. Theres some kinda metal arm attached to it in the rear so i can't pull it out all the way.

I'm breaking shit left and right I already broke the bezel by tapping it with my arm while trying to poke my head and find tose screws from underneath. :(

Here is the piece I broke while trying to manuver under the dash (my had barley fits there to see the screw and I bumped this with my arm)
Image (fixable?)

Here is as far as I could remove the radio because ot the metal arms attached to the radio behind the dash

Here is an overview of all the junk I have taken apart. I think I need to remove the entire front dash to see whats going on behind the CD player, But I can't figure out hot to remove the entire front dash piece :( I hope I remember where all these screws go :(

I can't get pictures of the metal arms because I can't see them I can only feel them sticking my hand in from the glovebox side. They basicaly are perpendicular to the way you slide the stereo out (go straight down.) I believe these were attached to the bolts underneath as the previous poster mentioned above. So now the HU is free but the arm things are still preventing me from removing it.

Any ideas I don't want to break anymore parts as they are extreamly hard to find. As it is I already busted it up pretty good on accident with my arm.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:38 pm 

Got the CD player out, there was a screw ont he back of it, luckily it was only hand tight.

Now I need a new Bezel though cause the other side was cracked too and split while putting it back into place. The side I broke was already broken, which is why it split so easily.

So now I need to figure out how to remove the AC switch and cig ligher plug from the bezel so I can replace it. I played around with it for a bit but ran out of ideas. is there a truck to removing these 2 items? I really need some suggestions here, is it possible?

For the AC switch I may be able to pull the read plug through the hole in the bezel but it got dark and I ran out of time, for the cig lighter I'm clueless. Any help appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:14 am 

Ok so I JB welded the bezel back together, but I drops the little sleeve that the CD player goes into on it (actualy it fell on it when I closed one of my doors) and it busted again in a different location. So It's JB welding once again ;) I think I will end up buying a new bezel but want this one back together in the meantime.

Question:
My wiring harness has a black ground wire already. Does the HU need to be grounded to the frame/battery or can I re-use the black ground wire in the harness (Solder the black wire from the HU's hardness to the geos harness).

I don't see why it would not work, unless its better to ground the HU to the frame do to it being more powerful. Otherwise I'd prefer to just solder it like I did the rest of the wires, for ease of removal.