TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:18 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: buzzing stereo
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:06 pm 

I have an after market stereo "Jenson", while the car is running the stereo is buzzing. The hot is connected directly to the battery, and I wondered if I pick up the hot from another source would the buzzing go away? I was told it is due to cheap spark plugs. :huh:

98 Ford Windstar

Post subject: Re: buzzing stereo
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:12 am 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

It could be bad grounding or a problem with your noise suppressor.

maybe a picture Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:12 pm 
Sad but True...

do engine rpms have anythin to do with the sound? usually its a bad ground if it has a whine to it. but a buzz... what kind of signal is the stereo getting? does it happen on everything (cd/radio/aux)? and if so, turning the stereo itself OFF stops the noise right? if it doesnt, id bet on a shorted speaker wire or something. but if its coming FROM the stereo (ie, turn it off, sound stops) then id try checking all the grounds and power and make sure theyre not corroded or anything

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:20 pm 

swift13b wrote:
do engine rpms have anythin to do with the sound? usually its a bad ground if it has a whine to it. but a buzz... what kind of signal is the stereo getting? does it happen on everything (cd/radio/aux)? and if so, turning the stereo itself OFF stops the noise right? if it doesnt, id bet on a shorted speaker wire or something. but if its coming FROM the stereo (ie, turn it off, sound stops) then id try checking all the grounds and power and make sure theyre not corroded or anything

I only get the noise when the car is running, which made me think it was from the power source. The stereo hot wire is connected directly to the battery. Really don't want to have to buy a filter to correct the problem.

98 Ford Windstar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:09 pm 

this could be a waste of time but ive heard from ppl on the board here that running your sub out beside your power cable can cause the speakers to hum.

2000 Firefly 1.3 SOHC 16VALVE AUTO. Goals: full restoration, achieve stock MPG and HP or higher, finished look should be 'stealthy' and unassuming. Engine will need to be rebuilt later on to restore compression levels.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:56 am 

It's called "alternator whine". You need to check your ground. Usually you can buy a noise supressor from Radio Shack. It is annoying but can be eliminated.

pacapo wrote:
You get an old one, clean it up, put it back to specs and take care of it, and she'll last for years.

JVS wrote:
We (the Suzuki enthusiast) are Dinosaurs.

An eye for an eye will leave the whole world blind.

1989 Suzuki Swift GTi: Red "My PocketRocket"
1989 Suzuki Swift GTi: White (Being resurrected)
1996 Geo Metro (Stocker)
1999 Suzuki 1.6 Esteem (Baleno) Wagon (Sleeper creeper)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:43 am 
King of Pompous

Try grounding at a different spot....sometimes it can solve the problem. Are you running power alongside your RCA wire?

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:40 am 

is this a geo/swift/firefly etc you have this deck in? and did the stock stereo make the buzzing too? i know my camaro started making a static sound as soon as i installed an ultimate brand deck. the sound was present because each speaker in the car from the factory is individually applified and so there for they don't take to well to after market head units. only option is to re-wire and go after market speakers. so if your car is anything like this then it might be that.

1994 Geo Metro 5 spd: All stockish. Re-built head, and lots and lots of donar parts :) B to the ER'

1995 Camaro Z28 6 spd: Magnaflow 3" Cat-back, K&N, skip shift elim. and thats it...for now.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:42 am 

actually no matter how likely the spark plug issue seems to be I know that when I was looking to replace mine that the ones for these cars are supposed to have some kind of resistor across them. I can't remember what they called it, but it is if nothing else possible. if you try regrounding and nothing changes I'd look at replacing the stereo. cheap ones sometimes just aren't gonna work right no matter how properly you put them in. noise suppressors are nothing but filters. install that and you'll lose half your frequency response. do you have amplifiers? my understanding is that you've only got a deck and nothing else installed. btw running power parallel to subwoofer rca's is not gonna make any noise. you gotta be a little more clear as to what's in the car.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:26 pm 
King of Pompous

150dollarcar wrote:
btw running power parallel to subwoofer rca's is not gonna make any noise. you gotta be a little more clear as to what's in the car.

Actualy it can. I've seen it go as far as making the subs oscillate uncontrolably. That goes with running any RCA wire parallel to power.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:50 am 

m wrote:
150dollarcar wrote:
btw running power parallel to subwoofer rca's is not gonna make any noise. you gotta be a little more clear as to what's in the car.

Actualy it can. I've seen it go as far as making the subs oscillate uncontrolably. That goes with running any RCA wire parallel to power.

could you specify in what application with what equipment? oscillating uncontrollably indicates to me an amplifier problem on the output stage rather than a signal problem. if I'm wrong it'd be nice to know why.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:48 am 
King of Pompous

All electrical lines carry noise whether from an ECU or the alternator sending some noise up the line. Placing your RCA near a power wire (especialy along side of it) or any electrical component opens the possibility of introducing noise. In the case of the oscillating subs the power wire was picking up noise from the car's ECU. Moved the power wire away from the ECU and oscillation stopped. Moved the RCA away from the power wire afterwards as an added measure. I honestly can't remember the amps but they weren't a lower quality brand. You may get away with it if you have decent RCA's but why chance it? If you must run RCA near power cross the lines at a 90 degree angle to help avoid potential problems. That is the standard and it has also been part of IASCA system judging for upteen years now. Some IASCA standards I didn't always do (like soldering every speaker connection) because with good quality components its not as big of a worry. Picking up noise in the electricaly "noisy" car environment is a very real problem so I keep to those simple standards. Power wire down one side, line level down the other...cross at 90 degrees if you absolutely must.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:22 am 

m wrote:
Power wire down one side, line level down the other...cross at 90 degrees if you absolutely must.

Good point. Even in a building watch where the stereo or computer power cord is placed.

I am wondering if the spark plug wires are the normal resistive type and in decent condition.

daily driver: red 1991 Metro 3cyl 5sp, roof rack, 8 degree advance,
got 61 mpg combined on 14" tires but i prefer 12"

completed frame up restoration: black 1994 Swift GT 5sp -- like new ! 45mpg

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:00 am 

m wrote:
All electrical lines carry noise whether from an ECU or the alternator sending some noise up the line. Placing your RCA near a power wire (especialy along side of it) or any electrical component opens the possibility of introducing noise. In the case of the oscillating subs the power wire was picking up noise from the car's ECU. Moved the power wire away from the ECU and oscillation stopped. Moved the RCA away from the power wire afterwards as an added measure. I honestly can't remember the amps but they weren't a lower quality brand. You may get away with it if you have decent RCA's but why chance it? If you must run RCA near power cross the lines at a 90 degree angle to help avoid potential problems. That is the standard and it has also been part of IASCA system judging for upteen years now. Some IASCA standards I didn't always do (like soldering every speaker connection) because with good quality components its not as big of a worry. Picking up noise in the electricaly "noisy" car environment is a very real problem so I keep to those simple standards. Power wire down one side, line level down the other...cross at 90 degrees if you absolutely must.

yeah true. I agree with you for sure. but at the same time a guy who spends 400 bucks on an amp a sub a box a wire kit and an install isn't usually worried about a competition style installation. I've come to realize that when that type of install is called for that's when you do it. otherwise it's anaverage guy looking for a little bump, and so you do the basic job because there's another job waiting behind him, you can't take all day.

I haven't come across any subs that pick up noise to date, maybe this situation happened to you years ago? like when manufacturers didn't bother putting any decent level of voltage through their preamps? either way you're right signal and power shouldn't be parallel but you can usually get away with subs when the guy is only paying for basic.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:02 pm 
King of Pompous

Thats where we differ. I wire a car the same way no matter what the guy is buying. The cheaper systems are even more prone to picking up noise than the more expensive ones so taking the extra 10-15 minutes to run a power down the other side is worth it to avoid having an issue and keeping a loyal customer. I don't rush a job because a guy is buying $400 worth of gear instead of $4000. Even today a lot of decks don't run any spectacular amounts of voltage through their line outs. The system in question had 4V preouts (he ran the same deck as myself) so there was plenty of juice.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:46 pm 
Sad but True...

and line drivers arent too expensive and are awesome. I love my audiocontrol unit