TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:09 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:06 pm 

Hey. Before I asked this thread, and all my questions were answered so thankyou.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38799

The 2000 firefly I bought came with a battery, but I'm using my other battery from my rolled 95 firefly which is still on 5yr warranty. I don't want to leave the other battery lying around, taking up space in the garage. I've seen online people's subwoofer setups and they have another battery connected to them in the trunk. I would like to do this, but I'm not sure how and also will it make much of a difference anyways ? If i'm running my subs maxed, this could dim my headlights since the car only has 55A generator. I ordered 20ft of 4 guage cable so I should have some left over. My best guess would be to add the battery in parallel with to the amp ? Not sure how it would look wired up though. If anyone has done this, or knows what to do. Are there advantages/disadvantages of a second batery? Thank you :mrgreen:

2000 Firefly 1.3 SOHC 16VALVE AUTO. Goals: full restoration, achieve stock MPG and HP or higher, finished look should be 'stealthy' and unassuming. Engine will need to be rebuilt later on to restore compression levels.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:00 pm 

To use this setup would require an isolator for the dual battery setup. This would split the alternators charge output (2-4 volts) between the two batteries. Also an isolator can be setup to limit the drawdown of the battery being used for example, it would stop the complete discharge of the battery.

I would call a reputable starter/alternator shop and ask about this setup. It might be worth your time to have a custom spun alternator putting out more amps. Good luck with the setup.

pacapo wrote:
You get an old one, clean it up, put it back to specs and take care of it, and she'll last for years.

JVS wrote:
We (the Suzuki enthusiast) are Dinosaurs.

An eye for an eye will leave the whole world blind.

1989 Suzuki Swift GTi: Red "My PocketRocket"
1989 Suzuki Swift GTi: White (Being resurrected)
1996 Geo Metro (Stocker)
1999 Suzuki 1.6 Esteem (Baleno) Wagon (Sleeper creeper)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:14 pm 

i think i'll just test it out by adding the second battery in parralel.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-jYzhn2MMgty/tech/kb17.html

even though the batteries are different, they still charge to the same voltage.

2000 Firefly 1.3 SOHC 16VALVE AUTO. Goals: full restoration, achieve stock MPG and HP or higher, finished look should be 'stealthy' and unassuming. Engine will need to be rebuilt later on to restore compression levels.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:03 pm 
King of Pompous

They'll kill each other is what they will do. If your going to avoid using an isolator on the system at least get batteries that are the same brand and age. I didn't read your crutchfeild link so if thats in there disregard what I've just said. Personaly I think if you need a second battery for your sound system then its time to look at a new alternator. Your amps are going to draw the same current regardless of how many batteries you have. They will pull power from the alternator and, when it runs out of current, then the batteries. When your done listening your alternator is going to have the burden of charging two loads (batteries) instead of one. The upgrades should go like this: Wiring, alternator, batteries. You can add batteries before changing the alt but all your doing is adding to the alternators workload.

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:36 am 
Sad but True...

yeah. dont just throw another battery in there, if they are different, they can kill each other. I didnt even use two dry cells without an isolator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:20 pm 

swift13b wrote:
yeah. dont just throw another battery in there, if they are different, they can kill each other. I didnt even use two dry cells without an isolator

i'm just wondering where you get the idea that two batteries wired in parralel will destroy each others ? care to explain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:24 pm 
Sad but True...

well maybe "destroy themselves" is a wrong term, but there will be voltage differences between the 2 batteries and as they work together to keep a equal level, they will USE battery power. its weird, ive seen it happen before in non automotive examples, so I would assume it would be the same (maybe take longer to drain though)

for what its worth, wiring 2 batteries in SERIES wont harm the batteries per-se, but the electronics in the rest of the system will be damaged when it spikes to 24+ volts. but dont do that either ;)