TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:37 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:31 pm 

so i noticed that in the trunk, the rears speakers are exposed the the trunk space air. I'm installing a big subwoofer box for 2 12'' subs. my theory is that I won't be using the rear speakers since the air moved from the subwoofers will hamper or distort the sound from them. is this definitely true or not ? i've held off from buying rear speakers, but it wont be that much trouble to install new ones down the road since i kept the wires.

2000 Firefly 1.3 SOHC 16VALVE AUTO. Goals: full restoration, achieve stock MPG and HP or higher, finished look should be 'stealthy' and unassuming. Engine will need to be rebuilt later on to restore compression levels.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:17 pm 
Sad but True...

just run fronts and a sub

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:38 pm 

swift13b wrote:
just run fronts and a sub

that's what i'm doing... so what's your opinion on the interference with the subs then ?

2000 Firefly 1.3 SOHC 16VALVE AUTO. Goals: full restoration, achieve stock MPG and HP or higher, finished look should be 'stealthy' and unassuming. Engine will need to be rebuilt later on to restore compression levels.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:37 pm 
Sad but True...

I dunno, rear speakers are garbage and throw the whole stage off. I wouldnt use them without a sub anyways. I suppose the sound waves from the sub could distort the sound of the speakers... maybe... I dunno, just dont use em and dont worry about it. problem solved!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:51 pm 

swift13b wrote:
I dunno, rear speakers are garbage and throw the whole stage off. I wouldnt use them without a sub anyways. I suppose the sound waves from the sub could distort the sound of the speakers... maybe... I dunno, just dont use em and dont worry about it. problem solved!

that work's just fine for me. but i'll leave them in, un-powered as little air-blocks so that the subs still sound good in that trunk.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:45 pm 
Sad but True...

maybe I was confused, I thought you were talking about playing the rears and having the sub nearby and would then have pressure waves reflect off (possible?) the sound waves produced by the speakers, or physically put pressure to the speakers and causing them to sound funny. having the speakers in or not wont affect anything if they arent playing. theyll only weigh you down!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:14 pm 

Later on I plan on removing the rear speakers, cutting alum. plates in their place and then dynamat the under and top side of the steel under the rear window.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:25 pm 
King of Pompous

Take them out. Leave the holes open to let more bass into the car.

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:26 pm 

m wrote:
Take them out. Leave the holes open to let more bass into the car.

wouldn't this act-against the trunk space resonating the bass to increase its effect ? more air leakage is bad, right ?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:41 am 

Think of it as a big ported box. Ever notice how the bass gets louder when you crack a window?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:47 am 

i ran 2 10'' re audio power by 1kw of dd watts (142 db/spl @dbdrag). no problems .I've made a couple of custom install over the last years with powers ranging from 200w to 2000w so i can say that itwould't hurt the rear speakers unless the trunk is perfectly sealed, even then i don't think there will be major issues unless you run 18'' woofers.
the ideea is you can easily get rid of those speakers, the only screw up the sound stage.Rear speakers are for family cars.
My opinion is that you sell the rear speakers and get 3 way decent comp speakers up front amplified with something like 2x150 w and your all set.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:51 am 
Sad but True...

djcubensis wrote:
Think of it as a big ported box. Ever notice how the bass gets louder when you crack a window?

it doesnt work like that with just speaker pods being left open. smooth surface > holey disfigured shape

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:55 am 
King of Pompous

1995Firefly4dr wrote:
wouldn't this act-against the trunk space resonating the bass to increase its effect ? more air leakage is bad, right ?

Leakage in an enclosure will destroy the sound but in this case you aren't using your trunk as the subwoofer enclosure. Pulling the rear speakers lets the bass vent into the cabin instead of having to fight through the parcel shelf/back seat fabric/etc.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:19 pm 

m wrote:
1995Firefly4dr wrote:

Leakage in an enclosure will destroy the sound but in this case you aren't using your trunk as the subwoofer enclosure. Pulling the rear speakers lets the bass vent into the cabin instead of having to fight through the parcel shelf/back seat fabric/etc.

I see - thanks for that explanation. So It'l almost take two dynamat trunk kits to fully cover the steel in the rear trunk so far. ill post pics when done.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:37 pm 

Serious! Rear speakers is a totaly must! Just make a crate for them and then the sub have no effect on the smaal speakers in the rear. I advise you to run front and back speakers. If possible turn the speakers towards you. That helps alot on the sound. The sounds goes right in your ear instead of bounsing all over the place before you hear it.

I rund amp on every set of speakers. One for the 2" in the front for almost just higher notes. One for the 12" subs. Play only the lowest bass with those. And one amp for the rear speakers. They don't play the highest or the lowest. Just the ones in between. That is perfect sound for my ear:) The reason i use a amp for every set is so i can andust the optimal sound for every set of speakers. Then you can also set every set to play on the total mximum when jeg cdplayer is on maximum.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:45 pm 
Sad but True...

why would you run rear speakers if you wanted it to sound good? maybe for more of a "fill" in the car, but I suggest a front stage and a good sub in the back thats all

how about instead of splitting the audible sound from front to rear, you put it all up front? just the highs up front, and mids and bass behind you? ehhhh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:23 pm 
King of Pompous

In an ideal situation you wouldn't split the sound spectrum (20Hz-20KHz) whatsoever. You would have subs/mids/highs up front. We can't all do that in a car so you have to make compromises. The least you have to make the better you will get your sound. Try to get as much of the spectrum covered up front. A good set of speakers in your doors will get you down to 80Hz or so and leaves bass duties to a sub in the trunk (or the front if you know how to fit it). Try as much as possible to avoid splitting higher frequencies up (midbass/midrange/highs) with multiple speakers. If your stuck with a 4" speaker in the dash then you'll have little choice but to install larger rear speakers to help, but, if you can shove a set of good speakers in the door that will 99% of the time give you the best results.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:25 pm 
Suzuki Elder

the only real point source drivers that were truly capable of covering a wide range of the 20 to 20 spectrum used an arc plasma that superheated helium. at $25k in 1979, they weren't impressively loud and they still used a sand filled, double walled enclosure (twice the size of 2 refrigerators) for reproducing the bottom end.

they burned through 2 "T" bottles of helium every 5 hours, produced an acrid burnt/ ionization odor, and put a killer static charge on you that would throw a 2" blue flame when you reached for the door handle to leave the room.

the other thing, to me, was that subwoofer positioning (no matter what dr. amal bose says about low frequency propagation and psycho-acoustic testing) has always played heavily into my perception of sound stage imaging and the single subwoofer.

all in all, the sound was really pretty smooth (even though i always heard a little snap, crackle, pop that i though was the result of the arc switching off and on.) the electronic measurements and response charts reflected the system's linearity and it's nominal spl.

as for the original question of the rear speakers being affected by subs in trunk, if the mounting of the rear speakers provides enough of a seal to effectively air couple the cones, the smaller speakers might have their point of safe operation affected. usually, the smaller cone area will start to decouple mechanically from the lower frequencies.

mass produced speakers have, for a lot of years, mounted various drivers to a common panel that shared an enclosed box volume including some the models held in the highest regards by those with golden ears. with car trunks being what they are, i don't suppose that they would ever come close to being sealed from the car's cabin to the point where the pressure wave from the subwoofer would couple to the cones of higher frequency speakers mounted in the rear deck.

so my official answer would be - not so much. :lol:

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:25 pm 

yes but the rear speakers will not be plugged in, for i have good enough mids and tweeters in the front doors. ill definitely remove them, and report on any performance improvements.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:52 pm 
Sad but True...

doubt youll notice anything

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:32 am 

actually it's a big difference, sounds bigger and badder than ever !

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:35 pm 
Sad but True...

1995Firefly4dr wrote:

with leaving speakers that arent playing in the hatch??

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:30 pm 

Rear speakers give a more stereo surround sound instead of just high and mids in the fronts and low bassen from the back.

Only front (pioneer) and rear (crappy stuff) speakers, give a lot of sound in the car, Im going to replace the rear speakers and amplify them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNQ-3uoRBm8

(Ok, its not 100% fair, I have a custom trunk with more air capacity and MDF panels)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:24 pm 

swift13b wrote:
1995Firefly4dr wrote:

1. i dont have a hatch. this is four-door model.
2. back speakers are not wired up. they are garbage and so i removed them.
3. two holes that the rear speakers were in now act as sound passages for the bass woofer.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:33 pm 
Sad but True...

1995Firefly4dr wrote:
swift13b wrote:
1995Firefly4dr wrote:

1. i dont have a hatch. this is four-door model.
2. back speakers are not wired up. they are garbage and so i removed them.
3. two holes that the rear speakers were in now act as sound passages for the bass woofer.

I misunderstood sorry. makes sense.shoulda figured it out by your username!!

anyways, there is no "stereo" surround, theres dvd-music that is encoded in multichannel, but otherwise its just left and right. you dont even have dedicated bass channel on cds. its POINTLESS to run rear speakers unless you absolutely need to have passengers have speakers