TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:55 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: 8" speakers.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:49 am 
Offline
King of Pompous
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2001 4:22 pm
Posts: 5596
Location: Ottawa ONT.
a1989swift wrote:
I think around 200 db



Current leader in SPL is Alan Dante with a 180.9. He's running a single 18 with around 28,000W. Runner up is Craig Butler with a 180.4 out of 6 12's and 84,000W of power. Notice how cone area/power isn't the always the final word in who wins. 3rd place actualy runs 8 12's and 64,000W of power.

_________________
LNLC Founding Member

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 8" speakers.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:25 am 
Offline
Sad but True...

Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:20 pm
Posts: 2973
Location: Saskatchewan
lol 200db's. I was more than happy with mid 140's

_________________
1991 Swift GT Build G10 +25 psi + other goodies
1996 Metro Build QR25de swap, still undecided where to take it
the lolcar family


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 8" speakers.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:35 pm
Posts: 2433
Location: Regina, SK
Isn't 120Db the area of listening for more than a few seconds can lead to permanent hearing loss? :?

_________________
My cars:

J. McBean: '98 Suzuki Swift 1.3L 16v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk5" Made in Canada
The Mini Rattler: '94 Suzuki Swift .993L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk3" Made in Canada *The Winter Beater*
B. Berry: '90 Chevrolet Turbo Sprint 1.0L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk2" Made in Japan

I got 18MPG in a 3cyl with a 5 speed manual 4dr, '93 Metro! :yeahyeah


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 8" speakers.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:41 am 
Offline
King of Pompous
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2001 4:22 pm
Posts: 5596
Location: Ottawa ONT.
Its actualy quite a bit lower than that. I know that bass frequencies (due to our ears being less sensitive to them) can be listened to at higher volumes but the higher notes can fry your ears at much lower levels.

_________________
LNLC Founding Member

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 8" speakers.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:15 pm 
Offline
Sad but True...

Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:20 pm
Posts: 2973
Location: Saskatchewan
either way, you put subs in your car and turn them up and theres no way its HELPING your hearing

_________________
1991 Swift GT Build G10 +25 psi + other goodies
1996 Metro Build QR25de swap, still undecided where to take it
the lolcar family


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 8" speakers.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:46 pm
Posts: 1722
Location: Yuma, Arizona
m wrote:
Current leader in SPL is Alan Dante with a 180.9. He's running a single 18 with around 28,000W. Runner up is Craig Butler with a 180.4 out of 6 12's and 84,000W of power. Notice how cone area/power isn't the always the final word in who wins. 3rd place actualy runs 8 12's and 64,000W of power.

These are all big $ sponsored guys. The DB Battles we do here are more family oriented. Its play what you brong and hope you brong enough.

gamefoo21 wrote:
Isn't 120Db the area of listening for more than a few seconds can lead to permanent hearing loss? :?

Yeah, but the guys here that compete use earplugs, better said, eveyone around he car does.

_________________
Love the way the West coast feels.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 8" speakers.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:07 pm 
Offline
Suzuki Elder
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:47 pm
Posts: 11675
Location: columbus, ohio
there's always overkill. :twisted:

i peeled the system way back in ol' blue this time around. i motored around with the stereo wires hanging out of the dash for a couple of summers after i got the car back with the stereo (and other stuff) ganked. now i run one hart professional ht 1200II 1200 watt amp driving two 10" kove ksx subs in separate sealed chambers with volumes right off the factory specs and another hart professional ht 800II 4 channel amp (150 watts/ channel) powering kove ksx 4.2 compaxial speakers in the vert bridge cowl locations and 4" kove euros in the dash with kove 1" titanium dome component tweeters mounted to the factory grilles by the "a" pillars.

it isn't excrutiatingly loud but the system does play with some authority - easily banging at 70 mph with the top down and the turbo spooled up. :D. the subs don't play as low as they might in a ported box but road noise masks a lot of the really low stuff (unless it's gut punching loud) most of time anyway. and because i'm an old guy, i find it hard to drive if a system is that loud.

i spent a lot of my youth as a union musician. when i played in rock bands i preferred to play bass and had some pretty good stage amps. i was used to an 800 watt coliseum amp and four 15s whanging away in large clubs with my sunn gear. for small venues i peeled things back to a single 15" in a folded horn enclosure and a 200 watt sunn concert head. i've heard modern car stereo systems that by comparison makes my old stage rig sound like a gnat buzzing. :lol:

_________________
1991 Blue Geo Metro Convertible highly modified 1.0L Turbo3 5 spd. - 1991 Red Geo Metro Convertible customized with a Twincam 5 spd.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 8" speakers.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:43 pm 
Offline
King of Pompous
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2001 4:22 pm
Posts: 5596
Location: Ottawa ONT.
a1989swift wrote:
These are all big $ sponsored guys. The DB Battles we do here are more family oriented. Its play what you brong and hope you brong enough.



My point is that the big $$$ guys aren't hitting anywhere near 200db.

_________________
LNLC Founding Member

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 8" speakers.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:48 pm 
Offline
King of Pompous
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2001 4:22 pm
Posts: 5596
Location: Ottawa ONT.
t3 ragtop wrote:
there's always overkill. :twisted:

i peeled the system way back in ol' blue this time around. i motored around with the stereo wires hanging out of the dash for a couple of summers after i got the car back with the stereo (and other stuff) ganked. now i run one hart professional ht 1200II 1200 watt amp driving two 10" kove ksx subs in separate sealed chambers with volumes right off the factory specs and another hart professional ht 800II 4 channel amp (150 watts/ channel) powering kove ksx 4.2 compaxial speakers in the vert bridge cowl locations and 4" kove euros in the dash with kove 1" titanium dome component tweeters mounted to the factory grilles by the "a" pillars.

it isn't excrutiatingly loud but the system does play with some authority - easily banging at 70 mph with the top down and the turbo spooled up. :D. the subs don't play as low as they might in a ported box but road noise masks a lot of the really low stuff (unless it's gut punching loud) most of time anyway. and because i'm an old guy, i find it hard to drive if a system is that loud.

i spent a lot of my youth as a union musician. when i played in rock bands i preferred to play bass and had some pretty good stage amps. i was used to an 800 watt coliseum amp and four 15s whanging away in large clubs with my sunn gear. for small venues i peeled things back to a single 15" in a folded horn enclosure and a 200 watt sunn concert head. i've heard modern car stereo systems that by comparison makes my old stage rig sound like a gnat buzzing. :lol:


I'm fortunate enough to have enough speakers lying around to give each vehicle its own flavour :P. My wifes Yaris has a very simple sealed fiberglass enclosure loaded with a JL 12W0 and a paltry 80W of power going to it. My Fairlady will be getting a spare tire well enclosure loaded up with a single DEI SX12 subwoofer and a max of 300W going to it. My DD Scion XB is currently loaded up with a pair of Fusion 15's and a little over 1000W. The enclosure will get changed again next year though...I want to go a little bigger on the enclosure as I'm choking the 15's a bit right now.

_________________
LNLC Founding Member

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 8" speakers.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:58 pm 
Offline
Sad but True...

Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:20 pm
Posts: 2973
Location: Saskatchewan
I should also mention that you dont want your primary midbass BEHIND you anyways. it also matters where you load the sub for sound too. you get cabin gains by placing them against the back, this is usually how I like it because it adds the oomph effect, but with sealed boxes im going to try pointing them up. I have a box close to spec already that im gonna put a 12 in, and aim it around and see where it sounds the best and build a box for 4. I dunno, not expecting a whole lot of quality out of older kickers in sealed boxes. it could be good, never had 4 subs though

_________________
1991 Swift GT Build G10 +25 psi + other goodies
1996 Metro Build QR25de swap, still undecided where to take it
the lolcar family


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 8" speakers.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:46 pm
Posts: 1722
Location: Yuma, Arizona
swift13b wrote:
I should also mention that you dont want your primary midbass BEHIND you anyways.... but with sealed boxes im going to try pointing them up...

1-Why?
2-They will be pointing foward but not to much to not let me see back.

m wrote:
My point is that the big $$$ guys aren't hitting anywhere near 200db.

Well, remember M, when it comes to pushing the limit in speed or sound, Austrialan's and Puerto Rican's are crazy. =)

_________________
Love the way the West coast feels.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 8" speakers.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:42 am 
Offline
King of Pompous
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2001 4:22 pm
Posts: 5596
Location: Ottawa ONT.
a1989swift wrote:
Well, remember M, when it comes to pushing the limit in speed or sound, Austrialan's and Puerto Rican's are crazy. =)



Uh huh...its safe to assume that neither country is anywhere near that number...unless they're getting their numbers off an AC mic....which is basicaly worthless.

_________________
LNLC Founding Member

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 8" speakers.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:46 pm
Posts: 1722
Location: Yuma, Arizona
lol, then that's probably why were hitting 200db's. :rollin:

_________________
Love the way the West coast feels.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 8" speakers.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:32 am 
Offline
Sad but True...

Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:20 pm
Posts: 2973
Location: Saskatchewan
a1989swift wrote:
swift13b wrote:
I should also mention that you dont want your primary midbass BEHIND you anyways.... but with sealed boxes im going to try pointing them up...

1-Why?
2-They will be pointing foward but not to much to not let me see back.

m wrote:
My point is that the big $$$ guys aren't hitting anywhere near 200db.

Well, remember M, when it comes to pushing the limit in speed or sound, Austrialan's and Puerto Rican's are crazy. =)


because it sounds different from behind

_________________
1991 Swift GT Build G10 +25 psi + other goodies
1996 Metro Build QR25de swap, still undecided where to take it
the lolcar family


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 8" speakers.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:46 pm
Posts: 1722
Location: Yuma, Arizona
Oh, I thought it was because something else.

_________________
Love the way the West coast feels.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group