TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:31 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Team Swift to the rescue
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:43 pm 

Team Swift saves the day again. I spent all day wiring up a new head unit in my Geo. I even made sure to solder all the wires from the new harness to the old one to make sure every connection was solid. When I finally got done, I plugged in the new unit and it worked perfect. So I went ahead and unplugged it so that I could put all the cheapy plastic, ashtray and lighter and all that stuff back together again. When I got everything back where it belonged, I turned on the car and had no power to the stereo. I automatically checked the grounds but they were solid so my next stop was the fuse box. I found that my accessory fuse was blown. It is supposed to be a 15amp fuse but all I had laying around was a 25 so I tossed it in there anyway. The 25 popped as I was putting it in. This was with the stereo unplugged so I was totally confused. I tried pulling out the inline fuses to cut all power to the head unit and tried another fuse and it popped too. I didn't know what to do at that point. So I checked out team swift and rana search for blown acc fuses. I saw a thread with a similar situation and someone mentioned the lighter. I realized then that the first time I turned on the head unit I didn't have the lighter plugged in. So I went out and unplugged the lighter and what do you know? Everything works again. I had a heck of a time trying to remove the lighter when I pulled the dash apart and apparently I didn't put the lighter back together correctly. Oh well I don't smoke anyway. I'll take music over a pointless lighter any day. Thank you team swift.

I do have one question though. When I pulled out the original stereo, the tip of the antenna coaxial cable almost ripped off. The tip the mounts into the back of the unit was dangling there but I could still get a signal just fine so I left it alone. Today when I plugged in the antenna to test it and removed it again, the tip of the coax cable broke off inside the head unit. I was able to use some needle nose pliers to get the tip out, but now I don't have any radio because the antenna is basically broken. Is there any way to put a new tip on the antenna? Maybe a local stereo installer can snap one on there.? I don't want to have to run a whole new antenna down the a-pillar and behind the dash for something so simple. Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:28 am 

Yes and no. Here's what you need:

http://www.installer.com/item/display_item.php?it=40-uv40

Of course, you only need one of them, and I'm pretty sure Radio Shack still sells them, but the main problem is the existing wire. In my experience, the center antenna conductor is usually very thin and brittle, so when you splice and solder a connector onto it, you'll need to be very careful not to break it.

You may want to just buy an antenna extension and hack the female end off of it, then splice that into the existing antenna wire though, it may just be cheaper. Of course, antennas for a Metro shouldn't be much more than 25 bucks new. If you really don't care though, just hook up a piece of wire to the center port on your radio and let it dangle out the backside of the radio, if you're close to your local radio stations, you'll hear them well enough!

Chris

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:12 pm 

Thanks for the reply. I had every intention of going to Radio Shack after your post and trying it out but found something even better. :D Stopped by Advance Auto first just to see what they had and I found this http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=MRA&MfrPartNumber=44UA200&CategoryCode=3531

It's a powered antenna that mounts at the top of your windshield. You just splice it into the remote lead for your head unit and it sends power to the antenna and amplifies the signal. I have never had such a clear radio signal before. I just might put one of these in all of my vehicles. If anyone is doing the stock antenna delete mod this might be a pretty good option for a replacement antenna.

Thanks again