TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:11 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:48 pm 

Hey guys. I just picked myself up an Audiobahn AW1571Q woofer. I got a great deal on it. the only problem is that it didnt come with a manual or any information about it. I cant find anything useful on the internet about it either. all i want to know is how many cubic feet im going to need for it. if anyone has information on this sub please let me know.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3168439

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:50 am 

call samir, hes an audio wiz.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:05 am 

I would but I havent spoke to him in years.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:06 pm 

lol, i'll tell him next time i see him

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:15 pm 
King of Pompous

Do you want sealed or ported?

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:21 am 

im gonna have to say sealed.
I found some information on the sub and it is saying that the recommended box volume should be 4.7 cubic feet. I think that is way to big of a box for it. Unless they mean a ported box with that volume.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:46 pm 
King of Pompous

Some 15's need a lot of space. Without having TS specs its difficult to give you something accurate but I would think you should be alright in a 2-2.5 cube enclosure. Sealed lets you get away with a smaller enclosure (I would also think 4.7 is for ported) so you should be alright. You can put a pound of polyfill in the enclosure to help it out a bit too.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:09 pm 

Here is the information I have.

AW1571Q

Fs 28.2 Hz
Qts 0.49
Qes 0.55
Qms 4.65
Vas 132 Liters
Vas 4.7 Cu.Ft.
Re 3.2 ohms
Mmd 180 grams
Zmax +/- 11 mm
RMS 500 watts
Sd 0.078 M2
EBP 51
Freq. Resp. 21Hz-1kHz
Efficiency 93.4 dB
Dimensions
Depth 6 7/8"
Hole 13 7/8"
Diameter 15 3/8"
Displacement 0.21 Cu.Ft.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:11 pm 

m wrote:
You can put a pound of polyfill in the enclosure to help it out a bit too.

... I dont understand :?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:25 pm 
King of Pompous

I'm at work right now but I'll run the parameters when I get home....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:09 am 
King of Pompous

Couple of different ways you can swing this. A "perfect" enclosure wants that sub sitting in 4.3 cubes sealed. You can get away with bringing it down to 3 without hurting much or 2 and you'll lose about 3db at 20Hz...which you likely won't notice once its in the car. If you go sealed use a pound or so of polyfill (explained bottom).

Now. Your TS parameters show that this sub is happiest in a sealed enclosure. You can however, get away with it in a ported one. Keeping the enclosure at 3 cubes and running a pair of 4" x 22" ports can get you some more output in the 30Hz to 80Hz range. Basicaly you would build the enclosure 3.5 cubes (3.5 - the volume the ports will take up [0.3 cubes] - the space the sub will take up in the enclosure [0.2 cubes]) stuff the ports and sub in it and enjoy. This would work killer with dance/hip hop and still bump really good with rock/metal type stuff too.

The polyfill BTW is the same thing thats stuffed in pillows. You basicaly take it and fluff it up inside the enclosure. Usualy only done in sealed enclosures but can be done in ported as well if you make sure it won't interfere with the air getting to the port. It makes the subwoofer think its in a slightly larger enclosure.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:14 am 

Thanks for the help. Is there a way that i can figure out how much space is in the hatch area of my car. I'm planning on doing a fiberglass enclosure so that i can utilize my spare tire well? Considering once i get that sub in that space is just going to be useless to me anyways. Plus that way i can give the sub its total volume required.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:19 am 

you're pretty unlikely to get 4.5 cubes out of your hatch. think of five feet, and then make that 3d. it's not only long, but tall and wide too.

you've just turned a 5 foot line into a 15 foot box

that's pretty huge for a single sub. 2.5 or so cubes is a pretty large box but 4.5 is like it'll only fit in a suburban.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:27 am 

I may end up taking the back seat out to give me more space for the box.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:51 pm 
King of Pompous

150dollarcar wrote:
you're pretty unlikely to get 4.5 cubes out of your hatch...blah blah blah...2.5 or so cubes is a pretty large box but 4.5 is like it'll only fit in a suburban.

I'm curious about how many enclosures you must hav,e built being in the industry, to think a 4.5 will only fit in a burban. You can fit over 6 cubes in the hatch of a Swift if you use the spare tire well. 4.5 is EASY if you know simple math. If you lose the back seat you can get 6 cubes + just in the back seat area without even touching the hatch area...or close to 16 cubes if you build from behind the front seats to hatch. Before you ask...yes I've built them all and had them all fit in a Swift MKII/MKIII hatch. If its a MKIV I'm sure you'll get at least 5 cubes in there with little trouble...just don't expect to put groceries back there. Might want to try measuring it out before assuming it won't work. 2.5 sealed will work decently enough. 707 is 4.3.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:11 pm 

Quote:
2.5 or so cubes is a pretty large box

Actually, for a subwoofer, thats a small box, and for that woofer, too small.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:42 pm 

So then i should be able to get at least 4.5 cubic feet in the hatch area especially if i use the spare tire well.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:14 pm 
King of Pompous

You need to break it down to what you want. A 4.5 cube enclosure will work but it won't be a simple cube. You will be building it to maximize usage of space. How hardcore do you want to go? Like Mike said...2.5 is small for that sub...it will work but it won't get all the sound you can from it. Are you planning on dumping all kinds of money into a sound system or are you looking to add a little more bass to your system? 3/4" MDF will make a heavy enclosure too. You will see the back of your car drop and adding friends to the back seats will really drop it really low.

I'm not trying to discourage you. I just want you to know what your getting into when you start playing with larger than normal enclosures. If it were me (and its not :P) I'd do my best and squeeze a 3 cube enclosure in there. I'd leave it sealed and see how I like it. If it wasn't quite loud enough...I'd add the ports. If I still didn't like it I'd get a 15 that would work well in the 3 cube enclosure. I wouldn't go through the trouble of making an optimal enclosure for that 15. Theres a good chance that you will end up with another one in the future...and most of the better ones will absolutely rip in a 3 cube. The "super subs" will want even bigger than 4.5.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:30 pm 

My system that i have right now is an alpine type - r 12" in a ported box and it does the job really nice. I never have any passengers in my car except for me and my girlfriend. so i never use the back seat. so the weight issue isnt a problem with that. now Im starting to lean more towards selling this sub and just spending the money and buying myself 2 pioneer premier 12's instead of dealing with this one sub. you never know though i might be crazy enough to fiberglass the entire hatch are to obtain as much space as i can.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:00 am 

m wrote:
150dollarcar wrote:
you're pretty unlikely to get 4.5 cubes out of your hatch...blah blah blah...2.5 or so cubes is a pretty large box but 4.5 is like it'll only fit in a suburban.

I'm curious about how many enclosures you must hav,e built being in the industry, to think a 4.5 will only fit in a burban. You can fit over 6 cubes in the hatch of a Swift if you use the spare tire well. 4.5 is EASY if you know simple math. If you lose the back seat you can get 6 cubes + just in the back seat area without even touching the hatch area...or close to 16 cubes if you build from behind the front seats to hatch. Before you ask...yes I've built them all and had them all fit in a Swift MKII/MKIII hatch. If its a MKIV I'm sure you'll get at least 5 cubes in there with little trouble...just don't expect to put groceries back there. Might want to try measuring it out before assuming it won't work. 2.5 sealed will work decently enough. 707 is 4.3.

man I know it's a 15, but 4.5 cubes is pretty huge for one sub. if you lose the tire well and the backseat sure man you can get between 6 and 8 cubes here. I'm talking with the assumption that this guy wants to keep his car a car and not have to make it something else just to fit his box in. I'm also assuming he doesn't want to have to pull his doors right off to fit the enclosure in. 2.5 is definitely no good for that woofer, but for an average sub it's bigger than average. if you want to accuse me of lying do it directly please. I was never going to question your experience don't insult me by doing the same.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:09 pm 
King of Pompous

Man you really are a piece of work aren't you? Where did I accuse you of lying? Read my post again. I said that you can get 6 cubes behind the back seat alone. You still see out of the back window too. I question your experience because your making some assumptions. Your also sorely confused on how to work out the cubic feet of an enclosure. you sound like a Future Shop employee...

150dollar car wrote:
think of five feet, and then make that 3d. it's not only long, but tall and wide too.

you've just turned a 5 foot line into a 15 foot box

I'm not sure how your doing your math but thats not how you figure for cubic feet. 5 feet 3d is 5 cubic feet. You don't multiply the 5 feet by another 3 to get 15.

150dollarcar wrote:
man I know it's a 15, but 4.5 cubes is pretty huge for one sub. if you lose the tire well and the backseat sure man you can get between 6 and 8 cubes here. I'm talking with the assumption that this guy wants to keep his car a car and not have to make it something else just to fit his box in. I'm also assuming he doesn't want to have to pull his doors right off to fit the enclosure in. 2.5 is definitely no good for that woofer, but for an average sub it's bigger than average. if you want to accuse me of lying do it directly please. I was never going to question your experience don't insult me by doing the same.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:50 pm 

m wrote:
150dollarcar wrote:

I noticed I did make an equasion out for a 15 cube box after I said it. fine, bad example. oops a mistake. but I don't really need to be jumped on when I'm just trying to give somebody a hand.

I mentioned that you seem to think I'm lying because you jump on a mistake I made and indirectly call me an idiot. so if that's what you really wanted to say then say it.

when I posted that I wasn't talking about the audiobahn 15, I was talking about any sub. aren't we here for discussion? if we wanted harsh criticism I'm sure we could all just go out and live our daily lives. can't you be any more delicate than "I'm curious about how many enclosures you must have built..." or "Might want to try measuring it out before assuming it won't work."

you really wonder why you just put me off?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:53 pm 

PeAvS wrote:
My system that i have right now is an alpine type - r 12" in a ported box and it does the job really nice. I never have any passengers in my car except for me and my girlfriend. so i never use the back seat. so the weight issue isnt a problem with that. now Im starting to lean more towards selling this sub and just spending the money and buying myself 2 pioneer premier 12's instead of dealing with this one sub. you never know though i might be crazy enough to fiberglass the entire hatch are to obtain as much space as i can.

hey man premiers are pretty nice, not even the same breed as the entry level pioneers, but I'd way prefer the type r's. why don't you just pick up a second one and a bigger box?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:52 pm 

I like the type-r but I've always been a fan of pioneer. i used to have two pioneer premier 10's in a sealed box and it was amazing so thats why i want to get the premiers.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:24 pm 
King of Pompous

150dollarcar wrote:
I noticed I did make an equasion out for a 15 cube box after I said it. fine, bad example. oops a mistake. but I don't really need to be jumped on when I'm just trying to give somebody a hand.

Yet had he taken your answer as factual he'd be building things wrong. Its a TECH forum. If you can't get your answer right...don't bother posting it. Working out cubic is pretty trivial...its not easy to make that mistake "when your in the industry".

150dollarcar wrote:
I mentioned that you seem to think I'm lying because you jump on a mistake I made and indirectly call me an idiot. so if that's what you really wanted to say then say it.

Your an idiot. You think anybody saying your wrong is either jumping on you or getting upset or calling you a liar. Grow a thicker skin..its the internet.

150dollarcar wrote:
can't you be any more delicate than "I'm curious about how many enclosures you must have built..." or "Might want to try measuring it out before assuming it won't work."

Now really princess. If you really need that put more delicately then you really have no business trying to post on a TECH forum. Go to a forum that discusses silk and lace... Again...grow a thicker skin. I suppose I could have said "I can't see how you've managed to build anything worth a shit when you clearly can't even visualize how big 4 cubes is." or "Measure the car fucktard...then come in here and tell me it won't fit." Pretend I said that then revert to my original answer...its quite delicate.

150dollarcar wrote:
you really wonder why you just put me off?

Not anymore...its clearly becoming apparent what kind of person I'm dealing with here.