TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:48 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:46 pm 
King of Pompous

I didn't ask for proof I asked what you did. I must have missed it in the other post where you said you did installs. Don't feel like your banging your head against a wall with me...just post things that make sense.

I don't know how long you've been doing this but I've been playing with/building/designing audio gear for almost 20 years now. I've done install, sales, custom fabrication, enclosure design, PA design + install (mostly when I was a DJ), Home Theater (from simple to stratospheric), and all sorts of other little projects. I still learn more every day from people who have been doing this for 5 years and others who have been doing it for 50. I don't get all pissy when called out on stuff so don't get all pissy when somebody else tells you that your wrong. If you think your right don't use whitewashed statements like "that'll never work" or "you'll kill the electrical system in the car". Show why your right (and be sure to back it up with something credible) and maybe you'll teach somebody something or learn something yourself. You may be an installer somewhere but that doesn't mean you know everything there is to know about this stuff and there is always somebody that knows more or has had more experience with one aspect or another. If you can't take somebody showing you that your mistaken or questioning your knowledge then an internet board isn't the place for you my friend and you should probably stick with reading them instead of posting.

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:11 pm 

I want to see install pics :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:50 am 
King of Pompous

Heres a few I've done in the past...I have others somewhere...There may still be the 18" enclosures I had in my first Swift still on the site somewhere. Should have a few from my Scion kicking around too...

My old Swift:

My other old Swift:

JSwift's enclosure I did for him last year (He's actualy going to much more elaborate setup this year...pics to come):

Quick glass enclosure in a Yaris:

Glass enclosure in a customer's Cavalier (built it with another installer when I was working at a shop)

Rebuilt door pods (increase from 3" to 6.5") for my 300ZX:

IB setup in my home theater (2 15" drivers in this vid but now it has 18"ers) only running about 150W in this vid (be warned sound is shit)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:58 am 

you're crazy :razz:

i just hope that my stereo is going to be better than the majority of those who surf this forum. definitely not better than yours.

2000 Firefly 1.3 SOHC 16VALVE AUTO. Goals: full restoration, achieve stock MPG and HP or higher, finished look should be 'stealthy' and unassuming. Engine will need to be rebuilt later on to restore compression levels.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:37 pm 

m wrote:
I didn't ask for proof I asked what you did. I must have missed it in the other post where you said you did installs. Don't feel like your banging your head against a wall with me...just post things that make sense.

I don't know how long you've been doing this but I've been playing with/building/designing audio gear for almost 20 years now. I've done install, sales, custom fabrication, enclosure design, PA design + install (mostly when I was a DJ), Home Theater (from simple to stratospheric), and all sorts of other little projects. I still learn more every day from people who have been doing this for 5 years and others who have been doing it for 50. I don't get all pissy when called out on stuff so don't get all pissy when somebody else tells you that your wrong. If you think your right don't use whitewashed statements like "that'll never work" or "you'll kill the electrical system in the car". Show why your right (and be sure to back it up with something credible) and maybe you'll teach somebody something or learn something yourself. You may be an installer somewhere but that doesn't mean you know everything there is to know about this stuff and there is always somebody that knows more or has had more experience with one aspect or another. If you can't take somebody showing you that your mistaken or questioning your knowledge then an internet board isn't the place for you my friend and you should probably stick with reading them instead of posting.

finally. it's about time we can see eye to eye. I said I felt like I was banging my head against the wall because you and I seem to no matter what clash one way or the other. I agree with everything you said, just when you want to call me out on whatever, it's totally useless to tell me i'm wrong and smartly talk me down til I feel like an idiot. sure I've said a few dumb things on here, but I'm sure we've all said things at one point with false confidence.

I don't think I know everything, I'm learning everyday. I'm not fresh out of mobile anymore :P (yes I'll admit that much):P

alright man well all I wanted was if you're gonna call me out, just don't treat me like a child, I mean it's really not gonna help either of us. at the same time, maybe that's just the way you are and if it keeps happening, jesus man it's not like it makes a bit of difference, I'm pretty much used to it by now. I just figured it's better to give up on trying to comment on your posts or whatever else than continue doing the same things over and over.

I gotta say man that is some pretty slick work, of all of them though I really thought the stealth door pod stuck out as my favourite. the hardest thing to do is successfully retrofit a car with something custom made and make it look like it isn't custom made. and you've done it flawlessly. I have some pics of my work but most of it's on my phone and I can't get the pics off, I mean not a lot of custom work, but a lot of really clean jobs I've done. I'm sure I have a couple on my computer, I'll try and post some someday. should really start bringing my camera to work again.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:34 pm 

M, it's a bit off topic, but I didn't wanna ressurrect a 6 month old post. I read in another topic that you advised against a cap in a 4 door firefly. I know the arguments of pros and cons of a cap, but at the same time, is a car that has a low level of charging power from the alternator a perfect application for a capacitor? I mean not everybody's spending money to custom fit a gm truck alt into their car just because they want a sub, and at the same time I know you said you ran 5 kW off the stock charging system with minimal problems, but again is this kind of car not the perfect app for a cap? let's have this debate :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:14 pm 
King of Pompous

viewtopic.php?p=54856#54856

have the debate there

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:33 pm 

thanks for the info. it's a bit brief, wish there was more. it seems a debate that has more opinions than facts as yet. it doesn't address the noticeable difference in the rest of a cars electrical system (not necessarily the audio system) with and without a cap. tghat's one thing I'm curious about, because you can usually see a difference, not necessarily hear it. I've also heard that a cap is supposed to boost a systems peak output power. probably something else said by manufacturers in order to make sales. doesn't make much sense to me. have you heard this before?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:30 pm 
King of Pompous

I've answered your questions in the cap thread.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:20 pm 

m wrote:
If you can't take somebody showing you that your mistaken or questioning your knowledge then an internet board isn't the place for you my friend and you should probably stick with reading them instead of posting.

I hadn't had a response for this but I have thought about it and I guess you're right. I haven't spent a lot of time on forums and I guess there are a few things I'm not used to. I apologize for being confrontational and hope I can move forward from now. I'll give the rules a good read over.