TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:16 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Small Stereo/Sub problem
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:55 am 

Alright, well, I'll get to the point. When I turn my car on and it idles my RPM comes in as a high pitch noise on my sub, then when I turn my heater on the fan comes through on the sub as well...

I'm running out of ideas, I've re-grounded the stereo, one time to the seat, another time directly to the negative on the battery. When I grounded it directly to the battery it helped, but not too much (was using a 14 or 18 gauge wire). So I figured I might want to use a bigger gauge wire. But before I go and buy bigger wires and try to hook it up to the back of the stereo I'd get some opinions.

Now, the new ground helped out A LOT until I hooked up the all time power wire... Then the fan could be heard more, but still a little less than it was on its own ground wire.

Another thing I tried was taking all the 12v lines and hook them to the positive of the capacitor, didn't change a thing.

I've mix-matched wires all evening, even switched out RCA's and REM's all together and couldn't figure anything out to get these noises to stop, nothings worked... The only things that work is turning the input level on the amp all the way down, which is pretty much off -.-.

Anyway, I'm at a loss on this, and so is my friend. Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Problem solved, it was actually being caused by improper grounding of the RCA jacks to the stereo, I took it apart and soldered some wire and now its works perfectly, no buzzing with the fan on, and no engine rev noises

Last edited by gsr99870 on Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:23 pm 
King of Pompous

1995Firefly4dr wrote:
it could be prudent to try using a new alternator.

Please stop giving advice like this. The alt is the last thing he should be looking at in this case. Sure its possible but there is quite a bit more he can look at.

gsr:

Tell me everything your running (headunit, amp(s), other elctronics) for your audio system. Please tell me where your running the wires too. Ususaly noise like what your getting can be fixed by a simple re-route.

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:06 pm 

did you just say you were using a 14-18 awg wire for your ground? time to overhaul!

these cars don't have a lot of current to output and they aren't very long either. by that standard you should get all the power you need out of an 8awg power cable. then again I wouldn't wire any system I cared about in one of my cars without at least 4awg. I've seen grounds done with 18 awg and people get surprised when the ground burns through like a fuse.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:05 am 

Come on guys any noise that u hear form the car through the subs or speakers is not power or ground related, it is all in the RCA's u have to run them so they dont get parallel to any 12v hot wire.

1990 swift GL Twincam swap
Hyundai trans swap- in progress