TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:03 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:50 pm 

image_id: 15451
this is what i have in the rear deck. click to enlarge
image_id: 15457
these 10" are on each side in my custom made boxes. click to enlarge.
image_id: 15458
this shows the panel with the custom enclosure on it. click to enlarge.

i also have 2 5" subs in the rear seat door panels, and two high power
tweeters in the dash speaker slots.

200watt cheapo head unit (need to upgrade but it was only $30.)
and a 600watt amp to drive the subs and mono channel in the rear panel.

lemme know what you all think. it thumps pretty good and the sound is real warm with the insulation.
image_id: 15464

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:47 am 

hey man. it's a decent setup, and I mean it's a lot of work you've put into it, but a few pointers.

a) clean up the fiberglass. a good trick for moulding fiberglass smoother is to use material that you can stretch over something and maybe staple it in place before you apply the resin. fleece is great for that, or an old t shirt. after you have your shape, layer it with fiberglass and sand it smooth.

b) the position of the tweeters in the back is no good for image. you may as well be running a 3 channel system. your mids are ok where they are, but higher frequencies are more directional, so you'll notice where they're coming from a lot more easily. you've gone to all the trouble of building that piece out, why not build tweeter pods above the midwoofers?

c) I only hope your fronts are at least as powerful as your rears.

loving the idea of your subs being up front, I bet that sounds sick. I planned to do the same thing with mine. I'm looking at CDT audio for mids highs and subs with a separate xover (stacker style system) and a memphis 4 channel.

looking at cdt eurosport 4"mids, gold ES series 6.5" subs, eurosport 1"tweeters and satnet 450 xovers. looking at memphis mca5004 4 channel amp (125 rmsx4) all up front, I'll be glassing up kick panels and it should be pretty sick. not sure what deck I'm going for yet, but I'm leaning towards an eclipse preamp unit.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:09 pm 

150dollarcar wrote:
hey man. it's a decent setup, and I mean it's a lot of work you've put into it, but a few pointers.
thanks for the post.

a) clean up the fiberglass. a good trick for moulding fiberglass smoother is to use material that you can stretch over something and maybe staple it in place before you apply the resin. fleece is great for that, or an old t shirt. after you have your shape, layer it with fiberglass and sand it smooth.
that is how i made the speaker housings. cotton tshirt, then resin, then layers of mesh and resin. then sanding and coating with plastic paint that flexes. the major point of the stereo system was cost. all total right now i have $60 in the whole system. if i had unlimited funds i may have done it differently, but with what i had on hand, or what i could get or trade for, i think it turned out pretty dang good. As i get money or trade for things i need i update it.

b) the position of the tweeters in the back is no good for image. you may as well be running a 3 channel system. your mids are ok where they are, but higher frequencies are more directional, so you'll notice where they're coming from a lot more easily. you've gone to all the trouble of building that piece out, why not build tweeter pods above the midwoofers?
actually the metallic dome ferrofluid tweeter has great image just where it is for the front people. not so much for the rear, but i rarely have passengers anyway. i also only added the tweeter to the rear system to balance the load on the amp, not for for imaging. and remember i do not have any money to invest in it so what i have or can get is what i use.

c) I only hope your fronts are at least as powerful as your rears.
nope, all i have up front are tweeters in the dash with a 12db active crossover run by the stereo directly. it actually balances very well since the fronts are so high up and close to your ears.

loving the idea of your subs being up front, I bet that sounds sick. I planned to do the same thing with mine. I'm looking at CDT audio for mids highs and subs with a separate xover (stacker style system) and a memphis 4 channel.

looking at cdt eurosport 4"mids, gold ES series 6.5" subs, eurosport 1"tweeters and satnet 450 xovers. looking at memphis mca5004 4 channel amp (125 rmsx4) all up front, I'll be glassing up kick panels and it should be pretty sick. not sure what deck I'm going for yet, but I'm leaning towards an eclipse preamp unit.

sounds like yours will be a very nice system. i think that will be plenty of sweet sound for your car. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:15 pm 

is this the finished product ? looks home-made

2000 Firefly 1.3 SOHC 16VALVE AUTO. Goals: full restoration, achieve stock MPG and HP or higher, finished look should be 'stealthy' and unassuming. Engine will need to be rebuilt later on to restore compression levels.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:59 pm 

it is homemade.
the man did it himself, didn't he say that?

I gave him tips and you gotta give him a shot like that? nice guy you are.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:21 pm 

150dollarcar wrote:
it is homemade.
the man did it himself, didn't he say that?

I gave him tips and you gotta give him a shot like that? nice guy you are.

thank you. I know it's not perfect. I can't afford perfect. but it is cheap and sounds fine. And it was fun to do. Even if i just get one smile when one of my buddies sees all those drivers, it was worth it all. And besides, I am disabled and can no longer work so I do what i can for fun, and to keep busy.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:26 pm 

wow 1995firefly. don't you just feel like crap now. I give you props N. looks like you got a good sounding system from what you had to work with. i'm the same way. if you gotta spend as much as everyone else just to get complimented... than your obviously just like EVERYONE else... whats the fun in that? different is good. definetly a much better job then what i would of done :wink:

1967 Bronco, Fully restored, 289 short throw mustang 4.7, 2" lift, 31" MT's

1985 Bronco, 9" lift, 38x14.5 swampers, 60's front and rear with 4.10's, both diffs locked, full cage and fresh 400...my JEEP eater!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:33 am 

hey narftroz i'm in the middle of a custom job now, I'll post pics when I have them. check it out when...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:00 pm 

Just my 2 cents - My system in my vert has been a 9 year evolution. The last few year I subscribed to the idea of the focus of the sound is front-wards. I've have a hybrid 3-way (1" Twet- 4" Mid - 5.25" low) system up front using the power from the receiver using a passive 3-way xover. I have pulled the tweeter from the rear and have a set of 6.5" in the back panels using the cone driver only. Using these speakers for additional mid/low running of a small amp. Finally have a a 10" dual coil woofer in a box taking up about half of my truck, again running off it's separate amp. Purchased a "plug in the lighter" digital volt meter a while back. I haven't seen any sufficient voltage loss compared to my blower fan or fog lights. I also agree with the "over amp" the sub issue. Saying all that, I've just recently replaced my receiver with a JVC unit. It has there own 5.1 surround processing they call SRC. It seem to work like you're home receiver where it seems to add some delay/reverb into the rear speakers. The reverb makes that sound field seem larger than it actually is. I now may have to rethink the no highs in the rear to take full advantage of this feature.