TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:47 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: scytek alarm
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:58 pm 

hey guys wondering if any of you have any particular experience with these? I'm thinking of buying a scytek galaxy 5100rs for my 91 vert. the thing is I don't need a 300 dollar system because there's really only about 10 wires that I even have the option of hooking up to in this car, therefore, I don't need 3 or 4 aux channels.

the pros of it are that scytek seems to have a fairly complete line of external sensors and I believe I saw some aftermarket power window kits by them too, so they offer pretty much everything I'm looking for. the problem is I've never used them before and it'd be a bit of a gamble for me because I know nothing of it. are they a decent reliable system? they seem to be the sort of system I see sold at flea markets near me is all.

I mean I could just buy a compustar from work or something, but the cheapest 2 way is like 220 at least.

opinions?

Post subject: Re: scytek alarm
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:23 am 

nobody has any opinions?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:35 am 
King of Pompous

Flea market product usualy delivers flea market performance. Is the security system really somewhere you want to cheap out on? Maybe DEI has an entry level system that cheaper that the Compustar. I noticed on the Scytek site that the install manuals are easily available. Looks simple enough to install and all the wires are colour coded. I prefer to have all wires one colour.

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:25 pm 

I agree with the basic rule you get what you pay for. but I know what features I'm looking for, and most alarms I've looked at have too much for my needs. I could still do those ones (I haven't bought anything yet), but I am kind of interested in checking out this system.

my biggest concern is gonna be how tunable and accurate is the motion sensor going to be.

I'm not asking anybody to sway me one way or the other, just interested in opinions. does what I'm saying make sense? maybe it would be helpful if we can come up with some pros and cons.

I mean the pro will be the price, the fact that it will work, and do what I want it to.

cons would be questionable reliability, and unfamiliarity.

I guess I can't count on any specific experience with these guys then?

no big deal, it just kinda caught my attention, and would like ideas and opinions.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:37 pm 
King of Pompous

Well without actualy finding people who have used them its hard to give an opinion. Try googling "Scytek review" and see if you get any hits. It could be a great little system for the price or it could be a system that always falses and ends up being an even bigger hassle.

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:29 pm 

yeah good idea. i'm gonna see what I can find out. none of the guys I work with have any idea about it either, so I guess I'll have to do that.