TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:51 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:11 am 

I am trying to put a new stereo into the Cultus. Not too up on the differences. Can anyone tell me what size stereo head unit will fit the dash? Does DIN units fit or are the Japanese radios a different size? Can anyone help?

cheers.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:41 am 

almost anything will fit a DIN radio. hardly anythnig that old fits a double, the cultus definitely won't. when you order parts try to get parts from metra because they come with specific instructions on dash disassembly. good for the DIY-er

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:19 pm 

DIN is a worldwide standard, so I guess a DIN radio should fit. I can't think of other standard sizes but DIN, except for double.

- 0,5mm oversized pistons
- mildly ported head, 1,7mm taken off
- ss exhaust valves
- 222/365 3tech cam
- +10 gear
- K&N air filter
- TBI bridge removed
- 40mm throttle and intake manifold
- srd underdrive pulley
- AASCO 3kg flywheel with GTi clutch
- GTi catback
- deleted cat, now 2" ss pipe
- 14x6J ET45 BSA Racing
- Nankang AS-1 165/55-14
- 35mm lower Apex front and rear springs
- GTi sway bar
- Turbinetech underbody brace
- Ultra Racing upper strut bar

0-100kph: unknown seconds

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:52 pm 

If it is a Cultus (Swift shape) then it is a DIN
If it is a Cultus Crescent (Baleno shape) then I don't know...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:55 pm 

Turns out the Cultus is NOT DIN. Radio opening in the Suzuki is 178x52. DIN size radio is 183x53 so misses out by just a tad (but not so little that it can be forced). Either Cultus is non-din OR radio I bought is non-din (which it says is ISO-DIN)

So I have bought a radio that won't fit! What a bummer!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:17 pm 
King of Pompous

Thats srtange. Can you take a pic of the opening? I've seen din sized decks in these cars before.

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:53 am 

it's possible it's just a tight fit. the first time I did my radio I didn't think it would work either. do you have all the mounting hardware that came with the deck? the DIN cage that comes with your deck (if you have it) will bend enough to slide in and then you just bend it back to shape when it's in. I really doubt it's a completely different size than any other suzuki. but I've been wrong before. try what I said first.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:33 am 

150dollarcar wrote:
it's possible it's just a tight fit. the first time I did my radio I didn't think it would work either. do you have all the mounting hardware that came with the deck? the DIN cage that comes with your deck (if you have it) will bend enough to slide in and then you just bend it back to shape when it's in. I really doubt it's a completely different size than any other suzuki. but I've been wrong before. try what I said first.

I think it is a combination of two things. Wkipedia gives the size as:

"Head units generally come in either single DIN (180 x 50 mm panel) or double DIN (180 x 100 mm panel) size. The depth is not standardized."

Radio is 183mm x 52mm and opening in the cage unit for the car is 178mm x 52mm. So every one has taken the dimensioning to the limits which has ended with a mismatch of 5mm. That's just too much to be able fixed by bending the sides out. One of two things will happen. Either the bottom will lift making mating of the mounting holes impossible or there will be problems with the top where the cage is bent and re-inforced (there is an extra piece welded to the top for mounting).

There is a kit being sold for the swift. I am looking around for one that is suitable for my model. It replaces the cage. Might work.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:18 pm 
King of Pompous

You should be able to mount most any deck without the cage. There should be DIN mounts on the side. Not sure if the cultus has somewhere to make use of these though.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:02 pm 

Numbat wrote:
150dollarcar wrote:

I think it is a combination of two things. Wkipedia gives the size as:

"Head units generally come in either single DIN (180 x 50 mm panel) or double DIN (180 x 100 mm panel) size. The depth is not standardized."

Radio is 183mm x 52mm and opening in the cage unit for the car is 178mm x 52mm. So every one has taken the dimensioning to the limits which has ended with a mismatch of 5mm. That's just too much to be able fixed by bending the sides out. One of two things will happen. Either the bottom will lift making mating of the mounting holes impossible or there will be problems with the top where the cage is bent and re-inforced (there is an extra piece welded to the top for mounting).

There is a kit being sold for the swift. I am looking around for one that is suitable for my model. It replaces the cage. Might work.

generally when a deck is installed in a car using the DIN cage, there is a little bit of wiggle in the deck. you can move it a little bit inside that cage, so I see no reason why 5mm smaller would be impossible. again, bend the top and bottm of the cage so that they touch, then shove the cage in the dash, and bend it back into shape. it WILL work in that car.

also generally when you cage mount, you aren't going to also use mounting holes to screw into. it defeats the prupose of being able to pull the deck back out with the supplied keys. some people do it anyways either because they don't know what they're doing (usually the case), or because they want the extra security of it being affixed to the dash semi-permanently.

again, it WILL work in your cultus. many people have done this before and not had to buy any extra kit. you just gave the measurements yourself. the fact that it's off a couple mm could be due to distortion in the plastic, IE: age or temperature. it could also be due to sloppy measurements from factory. who knows? who cares. it's still standard DIN. it will work.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:42 pm 
King of Pompous

5mm is almost 3/16th of an inch. If its out by that much I doubt any prying is going to get it in there easily. Maybe a trim on the sides of the dash where the cage is going to mount might do it though. I thought the dash in the Cultus was the same as in our swift and I've seen countless decks just slide into the opening. I've seen a few Cultus installs too (obviously not in person) with standard decks. Maybe you have an oddball dash :P

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:50 pm 

I still think it'll fit with minimal work. I know what half a centimeter looks like :P

I doubt it would come to this but absolutely worst case I mean how hard is it to grab a rasp file and open it up more?

it'll work.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:35 pm 
King of Pompous

Its not hard to file it...but you do lose the lip on either side for the cage to hold on to and its still a lot of material. Not a huge deal if you backstrap the deck (which should be done regardless IMO) but not everybody is willing, or wanting, to shave bits and peices off their cars. Another thing to consider is that if the deck is oversized for the opening the trim may not fit either and it'll look like ass. Everything tells me it should fit easily enough but since I haven't seen his dash...I really don't know what makes his different from others.