TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:42 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:53 am 

So my 97 metro came with a JVC CD player installed. If you can call it installed. The front center bezel is cracked and the CD player you have to push on the outer volume ring as you turn it to increase volume, but don't slip or you screw up your bass balance etc if you accidentaly hit the center button.

Anyways I have an eclipse CD3200 id like it put in there. The 3200 was already wired for my last geo (91) so it has the proper adapter already soldered up etc.

So after removing the outer bezel (which is broken in several places and will be replaced with another one I bought off this forum that I just found out is also cracked and broken but not nearly as bad...) I find a piece of plastic, (which is the dash cover for the dual to single din) is the only thing that keeps the CD player (JVC one) from bouncing out, up, and down. So The HU was basically just laying in there using the sleeve style mounting to keep it from poping in and out and relying on that screwed in piece of plastic above it to hold it in place...

Next I noticed that the dumb-asses before me hacked apart the factory wiring harness to solder up the HU specific harness. So now I need to buy a new factory wiring harness plug piece and somehow reach my hands into the dash and repair solder it with a factory style new plug....arghhh PITA im not a tiny person!... Ok, so I can probably do this but what a Fn PITA this could have been a 2 minute job had they not rigged it!

Next issue is that I can't for the life of me figure out a way to install my new CD player into the dash, its not like teh 91 at all, there is no rear screw to support the HU. The method previously used was quite Obviously is not going to work since I don't the same sleeve style mount. I do have a sleeve style mount, but the JVC one has a tab to keep the HU from falling out of the dash, and a another farther forward tab to keep it from falling into the dash. (these are on the L and R sides of the sleeve). My Sleeve only has a Tab to keep the HU from falling out of the dash...

So How exactly do I mount my new HU? Do I need to get something like this? if so can someone explain to me how it works? I'm having a hard time understanding and I'm wondering if something else is missing. As of now I just have a huge hole in the Dash sop I don't see a way to mount anything or support the weight of the CD player. Damn Geo has me stumped...I have installed several other HU's in other cars so I'm not a newb, just looking for some advice before I purchase that dual to single din kit, it looks nothing like the one installed in there.

P.S. RANT - I'm not looking forward to re-soldering a new factory plug in there, I might try to re-use the old one but they didn't leave me much wire, they cut it apart right at the end of the plug like 1/2 inch of wires!

Also if anyone knows where I can find a new Factory Plug end (not the adapter to plug into the OEM plug, but the actual plug end itself) please shoot me a link.
I found this but the price is pretty high.
http://www.installer.com/item/display_i ... it=71-1782
I might try to repair using the existing one first...But its going to take some hand acrobatics and my gas soldering iron to pull this off, with less than 1/2 inch of wires left to work with!

Thanks in Advance,
Justin.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:27 am 

So what does the back of the CD player mount it? What Supports the head unit?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:22 am 
King of Pompous

You need a mounting kit that willlet you mount a single DIN unit into a double DIN space. They usualy have a pocket and tehn your single DIN cage fits above or below it.

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:16 pm 

I know this, but what does the HU mount to? What supports the HU?

Every vehicle I have ever worked on before has some sorta bracket, else the install kit itself supports teh CD player. The 97 metro install kit is just the face, I can see it supporting the face of the HU but what about the bulk of it sticking out theback?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:32 pm 
King of Pompous

The cage is what supports the deck. You can get some perforated styeel strap and use it to backstrap the deck if you want some added support.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:45 pm 

Thats what I was afraid of :( I dont think the cage (since it is only attached to the front of the kit) will be enough to support a HU.
Which kit is nicer Scoche or Metra? Any local places sell the backstraps?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:07 pm 
King of Pompous

The cages are actualy quite sturdy when the mounting tabs are pushed tight against the kit. For backstrap go to your local hardware store and in the plumbing section you will find packages of rolled steel strap that have holes in them...it works a treat. looks like this:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:45 pm 

actualy I already have some of that (Plumbers Tape), I was thinking the strap would be sturdier but if that is all I need then perfect...Theres a place with a tapped hole in the steel behind the dash so I was thinking maybe there would be some way to support it from underneath. I guess ill just order the kit and see how it goes.

I guess Ill go for the meta kit since it is less universal (which may indicate more of a custom fit).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:50 am 

The adapter will hold the HU with no problems. I never reinforced mine and it provided years of service.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2105148

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:44 pm 

Justintoxicated wrote:
So what does the back of the CD player mount it? What Supports the head unit?

the DIN cage is designed to hold the weight of the HU just fine, but if you wanna put some strap in just get a self tapper and put it into that metal support which would sit behind the pocket you'll be putting in.

if you think the harness you looked up is expensive, you'd be thrilled to know a special order gharness in a store is usually at least 30 bucks. you still have your factory harness there, why don't you just rejoin and solder up those wires colour to colour? that's what you'd have to do if you ordered a new harness anyways.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:52 pm 

ya I am doing almost the same thing as you are, I have an Alpine 9857 which has a lot of bulk in the back for "extra" stuff and I have been using it with the cage for about three years now and it has never fallen or come loose