TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:40 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: new member with a 99LSi
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:36 am 

Hello all! I just purchased a 99 Chevy Metro Lsi with the auto (I know, I know...) and a/c. Only has 83k on it and is in VERY good condition.
It came with a Pioneer DEH 2900MP cd player to which I will add the ipod hookup. I have a lot of used equipment in my closet and want to put a sound quality system in this car.
Items to pick from:
-PPI PCX480
-PPI PC6600
-Rockford Fosgate Punch 45 (2)
-Rockford Fosgate Punch 75
-Rockford Fosgate Punch 150
-Rockford Fosgate Symmetry w/ 28 band EQ
-Rockford Fosgate 360.2
-Alpine IVA-D310 in-dash DVD

For speakers I am thinking either Rockford Power T1S652; Polk Audio db651S or JL Audio TR650 CXi; all are fairly shallow mount coaxial speakers. I will "dynamat" the doors and put XTC baffles behind the speakers. No rear speakers, front stage only.
*Recommendations on which speakers may be best?

I have 2 older MBQuart 10' subs in a nice small sealed box that fits perfectly in the trunk up by the back seat and leaves plenty of room.

Any ideas on the best setup for this car? The PPIs will put out at lower battery voltage and I would only need either amp, not 2 or more if I use the RFs. I could use the 360.2 to buncp up the output voltage from the Pioneer head unit. Doubtful I'll use the Alpine dvd as it takes a lot of space with the seperate brain.

Thanks for any ideas/help. Looks like a nice site and I hope to become a valuable contributor.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:45 pm 

OK, update time.
I just finished the install today. I am currently using the Pioneer head unit but will be switching it to an older Alpine 7894.
I am running the Precision Power PCX480 amplifier.
Front stage is MB Quart 6.5" mids in the stock location and tweeters surface mounted on the plastic piece by the outside mirror.
Subs are 2-10" MB Quart subs in a small sealed box.
HOLY SMOKES, it sounds INCREDIBLE! Very simple setup yet pay off in spades! Midbass is strong and well-defined and the subs kick in nicely. We dynamatted the doors plus put special dynamat traps behind the mids in the doors.
4 gauge wiring kit and 2 sets of RCAs. My friend has connections at our local car audio wholesaler and all installation parts inc wiring, dynamat (several boxes), etc was only $70!
No rattles either, anywhere. I love this car even more now.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:21 am 
King of Pompous

One of the best things about a small car is its ability to sound very good with little equipment.

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.