TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:49 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:25 pm 

Greetings,
It appears the amplifier/sub I installed in my 2001 Swift interfears with the starting of my car.
I have to turn the key numerous times till the starter engages.
I bought a new starter, battery, clutch switch and I have filed all the ground connections.
If I pull the fuse in the 12v wire to the unit, the car starts every time.
Should I run a kill switch so the unit comes on after the car starts?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:40 am 

Hello kpclemente,

Do you not have the remote wire on your amp hooked up to your head unit? If not, I would seriously recommend you do! Having an amp without a remote wire/manual switch is the most effective way to drain your battery!

If you do have a remote wire installed, then having the amps on when starting shouldn't be a problem. I have two amps attached to the battery on my 2001 Swift GLS and even when the units are on, it still seems to start alright.

Have you checked the ground cables on your starter and battery? They might be a little broken down. If you do a search for the 'Big 3' on this forum .. It'll run you through upgrading them. Really good tut that covers most common problems.

Cheers,
Ollie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:24 am 

Thank you for the help.
I have the system hooked up correctly. This starting problem has been on-going for some time and I have replaced everything except the alternator and made sure the grounds have a real good contact with bare metal.
I was noticing just how big a draw my sound system has when I had the charger hooked up to the battery. One 4-channel amp with sub, 2 mids and 2 tweeters. (With the charger hooked up, the car starts every time -which means something). In the morning it will start. After work I will have to sit in the parking lot for a minute and hit the key or the clutch switch about 10 times till the starter engages. Yes it makes one big click sound each time. I have removed the ignition switch and WD'ed it too. Perhaps the new battery is too wimpy. I will check this next as well as driving the car without the radio (boring!). I will update later today.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:27 am 

Interesting. When you say it makes a big click, you mean from the engine bay, not the audio equipment, right? If so, it doesn't sound related to your amps. I have a 480W Peak and a 500W Peak amps and having them both on on my 30min drive to and from work (loudish) doesn't have any impact on the battery.

I'm afraid I'm all out of ideas on this one, kpclemente. If I was in your position and i t bacame that bad, I'd usually give up and take it to the garage!

Sorry I couldn't help,
Ollie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:55 am 
King of Pompous

This doesn't sound like an amp problem. I've run 2500W+ through these cars and it won't do what you describe. If the amp is off (are you sure your remote lead is connected to switched power and that the amp isn't on all the time?) it doesn't draw power. If you're sitting in the lot for 10 minutes with the starter clicking and then it catches its not likely the amp doing that. When it finaly catches does it turn over like normal or slowly? Have you pulled your amplifier fuse to see if the problem still persist? Maybe you got a bum starter?

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:06 pm 

Thanks everyone for taking time out to help me.
Today the car started fine with the fuse removed from the hot wire to the amp.
I agree this should not hinder the starter though. I will next check the size of this new battery -too small start power?
I will read thru this fine site also.
Perhaps I have something connected wrong or poorly.
I will get back with the verdict.